Apple new Maps app hints company could extend service to Mac, PC browsers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sharing a link from Apple's new Maps application in iOS 6 automatically forwards Mac and PC users to Google Maps, but the origin URL of "maps.apple.com" hints that Apple Maps could come to non-iOS devices in the future and compete with Google Maps on a wider scale.

By using the URL maps.apple.com when sharing a location from iOS 6 Maps, Apple can automatically launch the native Maps application for other iOS 6 users. But for those on another device, like a Mac or Windows PC, maps.apple.com is currently inaccessible.

Instead, for those on traditional computers, links beginning with maps.apple.com automatically forward to maps.google.com. In fact, this works even with broken links: Visiting "maps.apple.com/test" automatically forwards to "maps.google.com/test".

Within the Maps application, locations can be shared via e-mail, text message, Twitter or Facebook. Opening a link on an iOS 6 device launches Apple Maps, while accessing the link on a non-iOS device redirects from maps.apple.com to maps.google.com.

Maps link

For now, there are no Apple Maps on the Web that can be accessed by a browser. But considering Apple is already using the URL maps.apple.com, it could be as simple as flipping a switch for the company to begin offering its own browser-based competitor to Google Maps.

Apple previously made a similar adjustment in 2009 when it launched the browser-based iTunes Preview. Links to some content in the iTunes Store previously forced users to launch the iTunes application, but with iTunes Preview, the content can be viewed right within a browser.

iTunes Preview was enhanced again in 2010 to include iOS App Store content, while song samples were also made available to stream from within any Web browser. Links to the iTunes Store begin with the URL "itunes.apple.com".

While links with anything after the root maps.apple.com currently forward to maps.google.com, simply entering maps.apple.com into a browser redirects users to apple.com/ios/maps, which highlights features of the new Maps application in iOS 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Ah, I wondered about this. It only makes sense, really. Look up a location on my Mac, grab the iphone and open iCloud tabs with the option to route via the Maps App. Or maybe they'll have a "Send to my iPhone" option, somehow.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    Right- I'm sure PC users are clamoring for Apple Maps.
    Nice of Apple to offer it though.
  • Reply 3 of 67

"Who would want these useless maps on their computer, too?!" image

Dang it, the troll beat me to it.

• Reply 4 of 67
    Apple should make their maps better before competing with Google Maps.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Good. Apple maps are only going to get better. The more Apple can compete in Googles areas the better.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Apple should make their maps better before competing with Google Maps.

Still waiting for someone to provide evidence that Apple's Maps are inferior.

Repeating the same FUD doesn't make it true.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    "Apple should make their maps better before competing with Google Maps."

So... Sort of like they are doing now?

maps.apple.com isn't accessible, so they aren't competing with Google Maps yet, and likely waiting until they have a more complete solution before flipping the switch.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    isheldon wrote: »

It's for all those trillions of PC users who are insanely jealous of Apple products but are too cheap to actually buy them. Apple wants to give them a chance to experience great products, even if they're too poor to afford one.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

"Daddy, what is that tower called?"

"Hold on let me check my iPhone... it's called the leaning Tower of Piza."

"But I thought that was in Italy? We are in Washington, D.C. "

"..."

• Reply 10 of 67
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

"Daddy, what is that tower called?"

"Hold on let me check my iPhone... it's called the leaning Tower of Piza."

"But I thought that was in Italy? We are in Washington, D.C. "

"..."

Ok, while I disagree with the characterization of Apple Maps - I had to laugh at that one. :-)

Works awesome for me, I used it a few times this weekend on routes I've never taken before.  It worked like a charm.

• Reply 11 of 67
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Sorry but I don't see the train of thought here. You share to someone that is not using an iOS device and it sends you to a site that then translates and forwards you to some other service. How does that equal that Apple will ever make a web based service? Huge leaps of thought going there.

Contrary to some folks outlandish ideas, Apple is not trying to rule all things. They aren't trying to provide the best experience for everyone everywhere using anything. They are trying to provide the best experience to those that use their things. Period. If it happens to also be of benefit to someone that has no Apple hardware or software that's just icing. But the cake is their hardware and their software.
  • Reply 12 of 67

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's for all those trillions of PC users who are insanely jealous of Apple products but are too cheap to actually buy them. Apple wants to give them a chance to experience great products, even if they're too poor to afford one.

"It's like giving a glass of ice water to someone in Hell!"

• Reply 13 of 67
    "Pisa"
  • Reply 14 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    galbi wrote: »

Wow. Just wow
  • Reply 15 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    isheldon wrote: »

Why not? There's millions of iPhone owners that use PC.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This has been known since beta 1 of iOS 6. I would have thought this had been discussed substantially by now. I've certainly mentioned more times than I can remember.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    "Who would want these useless maps on their computer, too?!" :lol:

Dang it, the troll beat me to it.

Every forum website needs a troll or two.
    Otherwise we'd just get bored- right? :lol:
  • Reply 18 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »

In some ways you're right but I think a great many people won't spend a lot for a computer when all they're going to use it for is email, Facebook, twitter, and browsing the net.
  • Reply 19 of 67

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Every forum website needs a troll or two.

Otherwise we'd just get bored- right? image

We have around thirty. None of them are needed.

Also, should that be taken as an admission of guilt?

• Reply 20 of 67

I've pointed this out a while ago. No surprise to me.