Rumor: 'iPad mini' production now underway in Brazil

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
With an official unveiling expected this month, Apple is said to be currently building "iPad mini" units at a Foxconn factory in Brazil.

Citing an unnamed source, Japanese blog Macotakara reported on Monday that production of the iPad mini is currently underway at a Brazilian factory. It was not known whether units were also being built in China, where most of Apple's devices are assembled.

The source also reportedly said that the final production unit does not have a microphone hole on the back side of the case. The new iPhone 5 added a microphone between the rear-facing camera and flash on the back of the unit, and mockups of Apple's smaller iPad also showed a rear mic.

Monday's report didn't identify Foxconn by name, but the company is responsible for assembling the majority of Apple's products, and opened a new factory in Brazil earlier this year.

Rumors first surfaced in July that Apple would produce its 7.85-inch iPad at a Foxconn factory in Brazil starting in September. The same website reported over the summer that production would begin in time for a fall launch.

Foxconn Brazil
Foxconn's factory in Jundiai, Brazil.

The latest report continues a flurry of iPad mini related news that has surfaced on Monday. Earlier reports pegged a possible Oct. 17 event to unveil the anticipated device, while a mockup of the rumored product was compared to a Google Nexus 7 and an Amazon Kindle Fire HD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Let those conveyor belts roll .... Oh yeah ...
  • Reply 2 of 35
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Foxconn Brazil

The fence is designed to keep people in.  The top of the fence is tilted inwards.  If it was designed to keep people out then the top would be tilted outwards.  They don't want workers trying to escape with the new iPad Mini.

• Reply 3 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

The fence is designed to keep people in.  The top of the fence is tilted inwards.  If it was designed to keep people out then the top would be tilted outwards.  They don't want workers trying to escape wit the new iPad Mini.

With all of the leaks happening, I would suggest that Foxconn installs machine guard towers at crucial points in and around their factories. They should also thoroughly search everybody entering and leaving the premises.

Thieves and criminals should know that if you try to steal Apple products, then you might end up in deep shit. That might make them think twice before stealing.

• Reply 4 of 35
    Let those conveyor belts roll .... Oh yeah ...

Put me down for two.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    The fence is designed to keep people in.  The top of the fence is tilted inwards.  If it was designed to keep people out then the top would be tilted outwards.  They don't want workers trying to escape with the new iPad Mini.

Have you ever looked at razor wire up close? It doesn't matter which way it's tilted, going over it will suck no matter what.....
  • Reply 6 of 35
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    bigdaddyp wrote: »
    Have you ever looked at razor wire up close? It doesn't matter which way it's tilted, going over it will suck no matter what.....

Sounds like a Brazilian wax substitute. Ouch!
  • Reply 7 of 35
    The one thing that's rather obvious in the pic below is that the barbwire fence is designed to prevent the workers from getting out, not from outsiders trying to get in (sort of like a prison).
  • Reply 8 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

The fence is designed to keep people in.  The top of the fence is tilted inwards.  If it was designed to keep people out then the top would be tilted outwards.  They don't want workers trying to escape wit the new iPad Mini.

With all of the leaks happening, I would suggest that Foxconn installs machine guard towers at crucial points in and around their factories. They should also thoroughly search everybody entering and leaving the premises.

Thieves and criminals should know that if you try to steal Apple products, then you might end up in deep shit. That might make them think twice before stealing.

Maybe that is why we haven't seen any real parts yet. In Brazil they haven't established the underground leak for profit business model like in China. Give them time, they are new to this game. As far as the tilt of the stanchions, we don't know whether the adjoining parcel put up the fence or if Foxconn put up the fence. In Latin America there are a lot of those fences around almost every commercial industrial building. Sometimes they are double tilting in both directions.

• Reply 9 of 35

Quote:

When I saw that photo, I was thinking they just built a brand new factory to look like a 40-year-old sweat shop.  But now that I think about it, it actually does look more like a 40-year-old prison.

• Reply 10 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    tylerk36 wrote: »

Or ... If you do break in you aren't getting out ... just saying.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

When I saw that photo, I was thinking they just built a brand new factory to look like a 40-year-old sweat shop.  But now that I think about it, it actually does look more like a 40-year-old prison.

Obviously, they are keeping people out. Not preventing people from leaving.

Thanks for the drive-by trolling.

• Reply 12 of 35
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Sounds like a Brazilian wax substitute. Ouch!

WTF? Not funny, not remotely related, and completely inappropriate.  

• Reply 13 of 35

I can see it now.... our next run at $700/share. Hopefully it won't drop back down too much.

• Reply 14 of 35
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

You mean, like they did in Poland?

• Reply 15 of 35

Designed in USA

Made in America

Hell yes!!

• Reply 16 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Designed in USA

Made in America

Hell yes!!

I'm assuming that your post was meant as a joke, but I'll reply anyway.

Nope, it's made in Brazil, and it would be highly inaccurate and misleading to refer to it as made in America, as that term is widely accepted and known by intelligent people to mean the USA, you know, the country that actually has America as a part of it's name. 

Apple agrees with me too, because I'm pretty sure it's not going to say "Made in America" on the rumored iPad mini. It'll most likely say "Made in Brazil", if this product even exists.

Any country trying to steal and capitalize on the "American" tag are obviously low life, jealous countries looking to deceive, misrepresent and piggy-back on the good reputation that the American brand carries and USA products have.

• Reply 17 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

You mean, like they did in Poland?

Yeah, it's just like the holocaust, with millions slaughtered. What a great example. image

That could be the lying anti-Apple lunatics next campaign, your Apple products aren't just made by "slave labor", they're made in Nazi death camps! image

• Reply 18 of 35
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Isnt this supposed to be a new plant?  whats with the rust on the sign post?

• Reply 19 of 35
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Re: Designed in USA and Made in America..

well... at least I thought it  was funny.  

• Reply 20 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

It's an iWire