Inside iOS 6: What's wrong with Apple's new Maps

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    Wish I could return to iOS 5 and dump iOS 6! Even Cook realizes that apple made a major mistake..Keep it up and apple will go the way of PALM and BLACKBERRY!
  • Reply 102 of 117

Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

Keep it up and apple will go the way of PALM and BLACKBERRY!

Hi, slapppy.

Apple has to make a mistake before I'll agree with you. They've only made one in recent memory.

• Reply 103 of 117

Just want to point out that Google Maps on Android is vector based for almost 2 years now:

http://eurodroid.com/2010/12/16/google-maps-5-0-for-android-launches-all-new-vector-based-offline-3d-mapping/

You should compare Apple Maps to the competition not to some old app that was already behind it's time.

• Reply 104 of 117
    tiadimundo wrote: »
    Just want to point out that Google Maps on Android is vector based for almost 2 years now:

http://eurodroid.com/2010/12/16/google-maps-5-0-for-android-launches-all-new-vector-based-offline-3d-mapping/

You should compare Apple Maps to the competition not to some old app that was already behind it's time.

1) If people are debating on upgrading from 5.x to 6 or from their current iPhone running iOS 5.x or lower to a new iPhone because of concerns about Apple Maps then comparing it to maps on Android does absolutely nothing for them.

2) CR has compared Apple Maps to maps on Android 4.0.4.
  • Reply 105 of 117
    Considering this is your second post, are you an Apple shill, Apple employee, or Apple stockholder?

Actually, I don't really care. The tech press is doing its job, which is raining hell on Apple for releasing a crappy product, which could have been avoided had they just waited longer. What issues goes Google Maps have in comparison? Right, didn't think so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoda View Post

The biggest thing wrong with it is the tech press won't shut the **** up about it. Does it have issues, yes. So does Google Maps, but we don't get 12 articles every 60 seconds about it. Good god, there are other options on the phone right now if you seriously can't get to your local coffee shot without it. I've had it since the since the beta and never had an issue. Should we write a story about that?
  • Reply 106 of 117

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Considering this is your second post, are you an Apple shill, Apple employee, or Apple stockholder?

Given the name of the website, I'd imagine he's a fan of Apple products.

I realize that not being paid to support something must be new to you, so I'll ignore your… failure here.

• Reply 107 of 117
    Google maps provided iPhone users with a significant risk of motor vehicle accidents, injury and deaths. What kind of screwed up values puts a "business edge" on providing turn by turn, voice directions on their own platform and denies this to hundreds of millions of drivers using iOS. Do the math. How many have died because Google, by its very nature, does Evil. "Google: We steal identity; we steal ip; we maim, we kill." It is amazing to me that Google gets a pass for this. Use maps with Siri and turn by turn directions once while driving and feel the difference that Google could have provided to the public safety and health, but wouldn't have given them that "business edge." Google makes Microsoft look like Gandhi, Inc.
  • Reply 108 of 117
    Sorry, I'm as big of a fan boy as anyone (I can count over 1 dozen Apple products that I have purchased and loved over the last decade), but the new maps app is a disaster unlike anything since mobile me (likely even worse). Yes, Siri had some glitches, but it was a revolutionary add on product and not a necessity like mapping.

I live in NYC, which you would expect to be pretty well mapped out. Lots of iOS users relied extensively on Google maps for their mass transit directions and that Apple would source that entire function out is very inelegant and un-Apple. I've tried using various third party apps and none of them give me the proper directions like google maps does. For what should have been a 25 minute trip from Williamsburg to Boerum Hill, google maps correctly told me to do the G train, while other mapping solutions had me going into Manhattan and switching. To top it off, once I arrived, I asked Apple maps for walking directions and input the address I was looking for. Now, I didn't follow it with a zip or even with Brooklyn, NY, but you never had to do that on Google maps. I put just the name and street number and it suggested that there was no way to walk to my location (38 miles away and over 2 rivers). Meanwhile, the address I typed in was less than a 5 minute walk.

Instead of refining this garbage app, perhaps Apple should eat some crow and negotiate with google to bring a fully featured mapping solution to iOS. Watching multi-billion dollar companies get into middle school level fights is sad and pathetic and has only hurt the Apple user.
  • Reply 109 of 117

Originally Posted by brassrox View Post

(I can count over 1 dozen Apple products that I have purchased and loved over the last decade)

…but… 

the new maps app is a disaster…

…not a necessity like mapping.

Which is also not a "necessity" by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

…that Apple would source that entire function out is very inelegant and un-Apple.

So Apple doing exactly what they have done for the last five years is "inelegant" and "un-Apple", huh?

Instead of refining this garbage app, perhaps Apple should eat some crow and negotiate with google to bring a fully featured mapping solution to iOS.

Instead of whining on forums, how's about you wait for five FRIGGING months or take a minute and a half and look at all the past instances where Apple's "failed experiments" turned into products that destroyed the entire market of existing products in their category and made Apple the wealthiest company on the planet?

• Reply 110 of 117
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Really, the only mistakeApple made was in not properly preparing users for the change. They should have called it "beta" or at least explained at launch that its expected to take several months of user feedback to get accuracy up to par. Everyone would have understood. Instead, users expected a finished product that was every bit as (or more) accurate as Google's maps. Over promised and under delivered. That's it.
  • Reply 111 of 117
    Apples map app is a tom/tom program which sucked before apple got their slimy hands on it.
  • Reply 112 of 117
    This is just a free app the Apple offers, if someone doesn't like it then just download another Maps App!!!!! It's that simple.

This is all Google's fault!! They took Apple hostage with their reluctance to offer turn-by-turn navigation for the iOS platform.

Apple did the right decision to kick them out to make their own maps app!!! Even though its still "beta" it will not be long before Apple's maps version will be usable and great.

Don't you worry this will prompt Google to make their own maps for iOS with all the goodies that google maps offers! Great decision by Apple to have Google bring their maps app with turn-by-turn to iOS. Check mate!

• Reply 113 of 117

Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

…apple got their slimy hands on it.

Please. Keep talking. I'm interested to see where this ends.

• Reply 114 of 117
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member

Am I imagining things or is the 3D service on the new Maps way improved today? by that I mean no messed up looking buildings, warped roads or nuclear wasted cities?  I'm thinking they have done something.  Hopefully a sign of things to come.  I don't dislike the new Maps though I think it's cool apart from the 3D problems which seem fine now.

• Reply 115 of 117

This is whats wrong with apple maps...

• Reply 116 of 117

Originally Posted by Rick Niemritz View Post

This is whats wrong with apple maps...

Yep, people who don't know what they're talking about jumping on a bandwagon and ballooning a small problem.

• Reply 117 of 117
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/14353/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

The new maps load less data so they even work on plain old edge connections and the caching helps a lot - the old Google Maps didn't work well at all once you ran out of a fast network.

You can adjust the label size in preferences so that you see more labels at a given zoom level. They just prevent labels overlapping.

The satellite view is more aesthetically pleasing than Google's although rarely useful in either case.

I can't say I ever used Google street view when out and about. It's quite fiddly at the best of times. Features are always good but it's not something I'd miss on the mobile app.

I also don't see why Apple's solution has to be the best mapping software. They don't have to bundle the best games, social networking software or camera software. It seems like an improvement to me and it's a service, not just an app so it can keep improving over time transparently.

Naturally the competition want to pick up on any potential flaw and run it for all it's worth. Cook needs to learn not to be so sensitive about complaints and not roll over to an apology or this is going to happen with everything. I don't know where this expectation of perfection has come from. Apple has always had a high quality bar but they've never been flawless.