AU Optronics reportedly building 'iPad mini' screens ahead of November launch

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is said to have tapped AU Optronics to build displays for its 7.85-inch iPad, reportedly set to hit the market in November.

The details were published on Tuesday by sometimes-accurate industry publication DigiTimes. Citing unnamed sources in Taiwan, they said that AU Optronics recently landed orders to provide displays for Apple's so-called "iPad mini."

Apple is expected to hold a media event this month to unveil its new, smaller iPad. One rumor published on Monday claimed that the company is planning to send out invitations to the media on Oct. 10, which would suggest the event itself would be held a week later on Wednesday, Oct. 17.

If those dates prove true, it would imply a late October or early November launch for the iPad mini, based on Apple's previous timeframes for product launches.

iPad mini Mockup
Mockup of alleged "iPad mini." | Source: iMore

AU Optronics has previously been identified as a potential supplier for Apple's rumored iPad mini. One report from August also suggested that LG Display Co. would build 7.85-inch screens for the new iPad.

It's expected that Apple's smaller iPad will feature a screen resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels, which is the same resolution as the iPad 2 and would allow iPad applications to run without modification. But the same number of pixels would be packed into a smaller 7.85-inch screen, making it a higher resolution display than the iPad 2, which currently sells for $399.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

November? Isn't that a bad month for releases?

• Reply 2 of 25
    Retina or bust.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Higher density of pixels, ok - does that mean retina?  Or "sort of" retina? Retina-lite?  Not being sarcastic, really, I'm curious.

Send out those invitations already, Apple.  I'd like to add one of these to my Christmas list, thank you.

Edit: If the earnings call is 10/25, I can see this being released 10/26.

• Reply 4 of 25
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

I hope this true. Wallet's ready. Hope it's very light.

• Reply 5 of 25

Apple: "We're doubling-down on secrecy."

Inigo Montoya: "I do not think that means what you think it means."

• Reply 6 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Seems a good month to for the holiday shopping any later people might by something else at the lower price range.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

1024x768 is horrid...

hopefully they do Widescreen, or do 'Retina' at 1600x1200, which they'd be able to do some work to make things stretch and look right for other iPads since its the same aspect ratio.

• Reply 8 of 25
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Higher density of pixels, ok - does that mean retina?  Or "sort of" retina? Retina-lite?  Not being sarcastic, really, I'm curious.

Send out those invitations already, Apple.  I'd like to add one of these to my Christmas list, thank you.

The iPad 2 had a PPI of 132, so the same pixels in a 20% smaller size would still only be (very roughly) 150 or more or less "half-retina."

• Reply 9 of 25
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Hasn't the pixel density been calculated at 169 ppi? Or was it 163?
  • Reply 10 of 25

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Hasn't the pixel density been calculated at 169 ppi? Or was it 163?

9.8" 1024x768: 130.61 ppi

9.8" 2048x1536: 261.22 ppi

7.85" 1024x768: 163.06 ppi

• Reply 11 of 25
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Well, Christmas shopping comes to mind. Then again, a detail like thi, coming from DigiTimes, hmpf...
    allenbf wrote: »

I have no idea myself either!

Possible. Wouldn't be the first time for a release on a Friday.
    matrix07 wrote: »
    I hope this true. Wallet's ready. Hope it's very light.

Why are people requesting / hoping for a lighter iPad? I don't understand, what is 'wrong' with its current weight? Current one is 1.46 pounds (662 g), last years' was 1.34 pounds (607g). The first version a bit heavier @ 1.6 lbs. Anyhoo, what is wrong with holding a device of this weight? My DSLR weighs more and I hold that often and for prolonged times. And I'm no 'strong dude'. Really, an honest question: why the wish for lighter?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

That would depend on when in November and how much stock is available for initial launch.

If they wait until Nov 30 and only have a few days' supply, it would be bad. If they do it early in November and have a few million units ready, they could sell every one- enough to have an impact on the quarter's financials.
  • Reply 13 of 25

Right?
    Santa'd better hire more Chinese and Brazilian elves this month.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    philboogie wrote: »
    Well, Christmas shopping comes to mind. Then again, a detail like thi, coming from DigiTimes, hmpf...
    I have no idea myself either!
    Possible. Wouldn't be the first time for a release on a Friday.
    Why are people requesting / hoping for a lighter iPad? I don't understand, what is 'wrong' with its current weight? Current one is 1.46 pounds (662 g), last years' was 1.34 pounds (607g). The first version a bit heavier @ 1.6 lbs. Anyhoo, what is wrong with holding a device of this weight? My DSLR weighs more and I hold that often and for prolonged times. And I'm no 'strong dude'. Really, an honest question: why the wish for lighter?

Many prefer a one handed approach hence it needs to be lighter; two handed is too constraining but necessary at that current weight. .
  • Reply 15 of 25

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Many prefer a one handed approach…

With their giant tablets. Not their phones. That's interesting. image

• Reply 16 of 25
    With their giant tablets. Not their phones. That's interesting. :lol:

He was talking weight not size.
    That why we're getting a miniPad- it's not going to be geared at children as some have said.
    If you ever used a Kindle, but it's not Apple so I wouldn't expect you to, you'd understand.

But yes even the gigantic ones are used by one hand on occasion.
  • Reply 17 of 25

He was talking weight not size.

And I hold my iPad with one hand in nearly all situations. 

If you ever used a Kindle, but it's not Apple so I wouldn't expect you to, you'd understand.

There you go again, pretending I've not done any research on why I don't like the idea of 7" tablets.

• Reply 18 of 25
    And I hold my iPad with one hand in nearly all situations. 

There you go again, pretending I've not done any research on why I don't like the idea of 7" tablets.

I've never discussed no such thing with you before. I beg your pardon?
  • Reply 19 of 25

I beg your pardon?

Not for sale or trade.

• Reply 20 of 25

Digitimes? Aren't they about as accurate as throwing a dart while blindfolded? I think our local weather forecaster is correct more often than Digitimes, and he sucks!