Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A collection of photos claim to show a number of parts from Apple's anticipated smaller iPad, including the front and back panels with a space for a nano-SIM tray, as well as the LCD display.

iPad mini

The pictures, published on Monday by UkranianiPhone.com, suggest the headphone jack will remain on the top of the device like in the current full-size iPad, and will not be moved to the bottom as it was done with the iPhone 5. The bottom of the device is also shown to have a space for Apple's new, smaller Lightning connector.

The alleged iPad mini parts are particularly noteworthy because components from the rumored device have not surfaced frequently ahead of its anticipated debut. Instead, most images online have been of mockups that purport to show what the final design of the product will be.

iPad mini

The rear panel of the iPad mini also includes a nano-SIM tray, which would suggest that the device will come in a model capable of connecting to cellular data networks. Apple's full-size iPad has a 4G LTE model that carries a $130 premium, but the iPod touch does not have a cellular version.

The alleged iPad mini front panel shows the thin side bezel that was previously rumored, and also space for a home button and a forward-facing FaceTime camera. The front panel is white, suggesting the device will come in both black and white varieties.

iPad mini

Finally, another picture of the rear of the device is in black, with the Apple logo and simply the name "iPad" with no mention of rumored names "mini" or "Air." In the top left corner is a space for a rear-facing iSight camera.

iPad mini

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Plastic. :-)
  • Reply 2 of 97

Is this the first non-mockup stuff we've seen?

• Reply 3 of 97
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Black back? Carbon Fiber, maybe? Or like the iPhone 5? Really hard to tell by those pictures but the back doesn't look like it's been milled out of aluminum, like the iPhone parts. Just my opinion.

Original article also says "will be announced Oct 17 and released Nov 2."
  • Reply 4 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is this the first non-mockup stuff we've seen?

It's the first I've seen

• Reply 5 of 97
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Plastic. :-)

If it's plastic, why do they need the cutout over the antenna?
  • Reply 6 of 97
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If it's plastic, why do they need the cutout over the antenna?

I dunno.  Looks like plastic to me and I don't see any cutout, but the pictures are a blurry mess for sure.  

To me it just looks almost identical to the colour, tone, reflectivity etc. (both inside and outside surfaces), of the 3G series of iPhones.  Doesn't look like aluminium but I guess it could be anodised aluminium. 

• Reply 7 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I dunno.  Looks like plastic to me and I don't see any cutout, but the pictures are a blurry mess for sure. 

If you look at the last picture (black back panel), along the top you can see that signature strip across the top for 3G/4G iPads.

• Reply 8 of 97
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

To me it just looks almost identical to the colour, tone, reflectivity etc. (both inside and outside surfaces), of the 3G series of iPhones.  Doesn't look like aluminium but I guess it could be anodised aluminium. 

I would have guessed anodized aluminum. Look at the flat surface inside the back. Plastic would probably be shinier. Plus, they've switched to anodized aluminum for the iPhone 5. Add in the antenna slot and it looks pretty clear (if it's real).
  • Reply 9 of 97

If it turns out to be anodized black aluminum like the iPhone, can you imagine the comments that will be posted here?? LMAO!

• Reply 10 of 97

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

If it turns out to be anodized black aluminum like the iPhone, can you imagine the comments that will be posted here?? LMAO!

"Looks great!"

"Aluminum was the right choice. Plastic is too cheap a feel and look."

"Should've gone with solid orange like that mold."

• Reply 11 of 97
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Finally a mini iPad. the mini iPad is going to kill the iPad.
  • Reply 12 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    jragosta wrote: »

I would have guessed anodized aluminum. Look at the flat surface inside the back. Plastic would probably be shinier. Plus, they've switched to anodized aluminum for the iPhone 5. Add in the antenna slot and it looks pretty clear (if it's real).

Looks like stamped aluminum back with separate chassis reinforcement and pressed in mounting points. Definitely not milled.
  • Reply 13 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Looks great!"

"Aluminum was the right choice. Plastic is too cheap a feel and look."

"Should've gone with solid orange like that mold."

I was thinking more along the lines of:

"Apple is DOOMED"

"Scuffgate 2.0"

"Should have been carbon fiber/plastic/whatever"

These aren't my opinions, my iPhone 5 is the most beautiful iPhone I've owned.  Black and Slate is awesome

• Reply 14 of 97

Ok, flame suit is on:

Please allow the LTE version to be able to make calls like a phone (not Skype, etc). Make it a true and the best "Phablet".

• Reply 15 of 97
    adonissmu wrote: »
    I don't think so... The iPad will be more reburst... more capable and let's not forget the retina display.. In other words the ipad mini is not the iPad competition.
  • Reply 16 of 97
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Not likely.

Although, since I'm familiar with your posting history, I'll just assume you were being disingenuous, planning to follow it up later with some smug comments regarding small Android tablets and how Apple is copying them. Save your breath. No one is interested in your nonsense.

• Reply 17 of 97
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Shit looks real. October 17th event, with invites going out on the 10th.
  • Reply 18 of 97
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Don't buy it. The bezel just can't be that slim on the sides .... To fit the full thumb in portrait mode to hold it securely with one hand, it needs to be as wide as the iPad. I feel like this is somebody's efforts to design a mock-up based on the rumored screen-size using the iPhone as a template.
  • Reply 19 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Without a sharp edge like the iPhone, you won't see as many noticeable dings like we are seeing on the phone. And frankly, the complaints about the phone show a lack of understanding.

• Reply 20 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why do you think there are so many cutouts? I don't have my iPad in front of me, but I don't remember so many cutouts.