Mark Zuckerberg received free iPhone 5 from Tim Cook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

In an interview with Matt Lauer on NBC's The Today Show, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg reveals that Apple CEO Tim Cook sent him a free iPhone 5, a gesture usually afforded only to important business partners and public figures.

Mark Zuckerberg Interview

Mark Zuckerberg (left) speaks to The Today Show's Matt Lauer. | Source: The Today Show

The gratis handset comes as no surprise given the importance of Facebook on both Apple's OS X and iOS, with tighter integration rolled out for each platform in their latest releases.

In the interview (via Business Insider), Zuckerberg commented on how the iPhone 5 and iOS affects Facebook interaction:

iPhone is a great platform. There are more people who use Facebook on Android—because Android is just—more people use it, at this point. And the thing that I think a lot of people don't think about is that there are actually more people in the world using Facebook on mobile Web, right, so not using the apps on iOS or Android, but actually just going to a browser on a phone. There are more people doing that than the iPhone and all of Android phones combined, right? So it's actually a pretty diverse ecosystem.

Apple's iPhone 5 is the first of the company's handsets to ship with built-in Facebook integration, a feature included in the new iOS 6 mobile operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    I'd have returned it with a "Thank you, but could you please exchange that for a 4S with iOS 5.1.1 and Dock Connector?".
  • Reply 2 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

I'd have returned it with a "Thank you, but could you please exchange that for a 4S with iOS 5.1.1 and Dock Connector?".

Showing that even Zuckerberg is a better person that someone.

• Reply 3 of 76
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    What, because the king of Zuck couldn't afford to buy his own? This sort of nonsense makes me sick.
  • Reply 4 of 76

times are hard if all you give a CEO is a phone made in china that you can buy for 200 dollars.

I get nicer gifts from our Corporate Printer partners. Give the man a bundle or something.

• Reply 5 of 76

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

• Reply 6 of 76
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

Quote:

iPhone is a great platform. There are more people who use Facebook on Android ? because Android is just ? more people use it, at this point. And the thing that I think a lot of people don't think about is that there are actually more people in the world using Facebook on mobile Web, right, so not using the apps on iOS or Android, but actually just going to a browser on a phone. There are more people doing that than the iPhone and all of Android phones combined, right? So it's actually a pretty diverse ecosystem.

Is this even English?

• Reply 7 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

times are hard if all you give a CEO is a phone made in china that you can buy for 200 dollars.

I get nicer gifts from our Corporate Printer partners. Give the man a bundle or something.

Uh, the point is the gesture, not financial value. Bundle of what, exactly? Apple products?

• Reply 8 of 76
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    zeromeus wrote: »
    Is this even English?

Lol. I couldn't make sense of it either.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member
    lol, Apple turning away from Google only to get entangled with Facebook.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    check out his garbled attempt at PR-speak, trying not to offend anyone but at the same time promoting Facebook as being independent of smartphones, can't even speak freely, tied to the yoke of his behemoth.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    vaelian wrote: »

You probably would.

Fortunately Zuckerberg has an IQ over 65, so he was smart enough not to.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    jragosta wrote: »

You probably would.

Fortunately Zuckerberg has an IQ over 65, so he was smart enough not to.

How is one's IQ related to any of this? If anything, my gesture would demonstrate the ability to think by myself as I'd be implicitly making a statement about Apple's post-Jobs sloppiness.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

What, because the king of Zuck couldn't afford to buy his own? This sort of nonsense makes me sick.

Yeah, I know what you mean, kind of like a Movie Premiere 'Swag' bag with diamond jewelry, top tier perfume, 500 buck sunglasses or what ever goodies, handed to a movie actress that just made $10 million for that movie!

And when they don't receive a swag bag, they just steal... right Winona?  'Cuz Lord knows they can't pay!

BTW where's mine Tim?

/

/

• Reply 14 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Did you make the same argument when High Definition 1080p "Flat Panels" were introduced?  I can just hear your logic...  "What?!  new HDMI cables?  No thanks, just give me an old CRT with S-Video cables." 

• Reply 15 of 76
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I would have gave him one of the new iPod Touch models.

• Reply 16 of 76
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Is this even English?

He did attend classes at Harvard.

Cheers

• Reply 17 of 76
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Why do rich people like to send gifts to other rich people, often having their corporation pay?
  • Reply 18 of 76
    chadmatic wrote: »
    Did you make the same argument when High Definition 1080p "Flat Panels" were introduced?  I can just hear your logic...  "What?!  new HDMI cables?  No thanks, just give me an old CRT with S-Video cables." 

The difference here is that the Lightning Connector and iOS 6 were both compromises rather than improvements. Following your comment's context, you can basically stream HDMI off an iPhone 4S and iPad 3G, but not from an iPhone 5.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, I actually did make such an argument for LCDs in general, because LCDs from 2005 and earlier were all UTTER CRAP. Fortunately there were plasma screens to replace the accuracy, responsiveness, and contrast ratios of CRTs. Even today I'd still tell designers to either use CRTs, plasmas, or LEDs, because even today LCDs are still a compromise (even LEDs are a bit of a compromise since their viewing angles aren't comparable to those of CRTs and plasmas).
  • Reply 19 of 76
    guyrguyr Posts: 50member

And having Zuckerberg give free advertising to Apple ? Priceless....

• Reply 20 of 76
    thejdthejd Posts: 37member
    zeromeus wrote: »
    Is this even English?

Was thinking the exact same thing. How do I like this on Facebook?