Nokia commercial slams iPhone 5's lack of color

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

Nokia is run by stupid people. Don't they realise its Android killing them, not iPhone. People who don't care what phone they have got a Nokia on the cheapest plan, now they end up with Android on the cheapest plan.

The Lumia 920 runs windows phone 8......

The phone does look kinda interesting, camera is Carl Zeiss optics, image stabilization, wireless charging. Don't know how good Win Phone 8 will be though. Looks nice but that ain't saying much.

• Reply 42 of 92

Don't know if the ad will work, but I liked it. Graphically interesting and unusual for phone ads. I'm actually happy not to get the usual list of specs and bravado.

Doesn't seem an awful strategy to try to paint Apple buyers as conforming establishment types, however ironic that may seem to us. (What else can iPhone competitors focus on?) Apple got a lot of mileage out of painting PC buyers as uninspired Wintel devotees.

• Reply 43 of 92
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Yep, what an amazing commercial.

I'm now definitely going to abandon Apple and buy a Nokia phone running windows, because it comes in highly desirable puke yellow.

• Reply 44 of 92
    bemmerbemmer Posts: 10member
    First of all, Nokia is still around?!
    Second of all, the idea of the ad, while a minor quibble, is still a good point of attack for a company like this. But the execution has to be one of the worst things I've ever seen. Why not use real actors and do a whole Wizard of Oz motif, sepia to begin with and then colour later on when he gets his new phone. Or a black and white world but colour for everyone who is using the Nokia. Just terrible.
    I guess that's why Nokia doesn't have the brand awareness it once had....
  • Reply 45 of 92
    aaronj wrote: »
    Black is, pretty much by definition, not "colorful."  He didn't say that TV bezels don't have a color.

That's the point. There's still black immediately around the screen.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    Yes ... Particularly offputting to me, as a loyal Apple customer, is a lack of an olive-color option.

Maybe we should be guided by the latest episode of Glee… The senior class president was running for her second term (a story in itself)... To help voters make up their mind they decided to have an issues-oriented, hard-ball debate between the two leading candidates.

One of the in-depth questions asked of the incumbent was: "what is your favorite color?".

Her answer: was "Filipino -- and they're such a hard workers too!"
  • Reply 47 of 92

I would be willing to bet that the two most purchased colors of the Lumia 920 are:

1. Black

and

2. White 

• Reply 48 of 92
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    I slam the 920s lack of existence.
  • Reply 49 of 92
    That sh!t is DARK...
  • Reply 50 of 92
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

While I've never used one, this phone actually does look like a nicely designed phone.    The spot is mildly interesting EXCEPT:

- half of it is stolen from the "1984" commercial

- the other half is stolen from "Yellow Submarine"

- when they pour the yellow over the phone to give it color, it gives the impression that you must do something to the Nokia to give it color.  It implies you're putting a color case on it, which obviously, you can also do with the iPhone5.

- while I understand that the beginning of the commercial is purposely "depressing" because it's about the iPhone5, it makes it seem like the entire commercial is going to be depressing and I don't think people will want to watch it.

- maybe different carriers have different colors, but on the AT&T site, the Lumia 900 is available only in black, white, pink and cyan.     (Edit:  OK, I see they're actually talking about the 920.   Be nice if they mentioned the model #).

- aside from color, there's nothing in the spot about the Nokia.   It's all about the iPhone.    

- they show someone putting down what looks like several hundred dollars for the iPhone5, but they never tell you how much the Lumia is.   From AT&T, with a 2-year contract, the Lumia 900 only $50, which is a good deal.    Don't know how much the 920 will be, but if it's cheaper than the iPhone, they should have shown that.   

The design of this phone actually reminds me of the first iPod-mini.     

IMO, they didn't need to compare their phone to the iPhone5.   They only needed to promote the merits of the phone on its own.   It will definitely appeal to some people.   I would have pushed the following:   Beautiful design, fast 4G, large 4.3" display, 12 1/2 days of standby time, Carl Zeiss camera optics, Microsoft Office pre-loaded.    Use it for fun...use it for business.   Stand out from the crowd.  And do it in four beautiful colors.     Only $xx.xx.      (Edit:  That's assuming it has at least as good a spec as the 900).

• Reply 51 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I didn't know the color of the phone makes it better or worse.

you don't have a tweener daughter.

• Reply 52 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Now just how much money and time does Apple spend on ads spefically targeting Android products? The answer would be Zero ... Guess why?
  • Reply 53 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    you don't have a tweener daughter.

Our tweeter grand kids use a colored case on their iPhones, they wouldn't be seen out with anything other ...
  • Reply 54 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Does Elop really think that the iPhone's colour selection has *ever* been a problem?

This is a phone for which consumers actually line up. Aggressively. 

A phone that at most, comes in 3 models, and two colours. 

The result? Worldwide frenzy.

• Reply 55 of 92
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

That's the point. There's still black immediately around the screen.

Yes, it's black because it doesn't detract from the content.  Which is the EXACT POINT the OP was making!

Jesus.

• Reply 56 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Apple stock actually fell by almost 50% in the year following the "1984" ad. It wasn't until 15 years later that AAPL had any significant growth.  If the intent of the 1984 ad was to improve apple marketshare and corporate profitability, then yes it did nothing for AAPL,  

Not saying it wasn't a good ad though.

Slightly selective financial history and significant is relative.

Actually it fell more the year before the 1984 ad was shown, and while it did fall 50% from 1984 into 1985 ($1.80/share), it went back up 600% ($17) through 1987, and up another 100% ($19) from that bottom in 1991.   then it eroded back down to $3.3/share until 1998 ("PRAY"), which it went up to $34 (1999) with the iMac release and the dotcom boom, but then in late 2000 it had slid back to 1/5th of that ($7/share compared to today).  It stayed there for a year.

Then Enter the iPod.

add 2 years later the current climb started (basically, no one believed in Apple or the consumer technology direction it was pivoting on, and to some extent they still don't).

• Reply 57 of 92
    The iPhone is available in 2 colors. The Lumia 920 is available in 0 colors. We don't know when the 920 will be released nor do we know how much it will cost.

If necessary/profitable, Apple could easily roll out iPhones in different colors a la the new iPod touches.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

The Lumia 920 runs windows phone 8......

The phone does look kinda interesting, camera is Carl Zeiss optics, image stabilization, wireless charging. Don't know how good Win Phone 8 will be though. Looks nice but that ain't saying much.

I know, thats my point. The should be promoting Windows and attacking Android. They have a much better chance of Android users switching to Windows than iPhone users

• Reply 59 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    A dying smartphone company slams the most successful smartphone company in the world for making a product that, in their opinion, is not good enough. Interesting marketing strategy.

Lipstick on a pig? Glitter on a turd?

Glitter on a lips ticked pig's turd?
  • Reply 60 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    visualzone wrote: »

He is asking for a made by Apple, so doing it doesn't void your warranty and all rights to any service from Apple, Red phone