Judge dissolves injunction against Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple v. Samsung presiding Judge Lucy Koh on Monday dissolved a U.S. preliminary injunction against Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1, lifting the sales ban the jurist first instituted in June.

Galaxy Tab 10.1

It took Judge Koh one weekend to consider the injunction dissolution after the matter was remanded to her court by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit last Friday, ultimately granting one of Samsung's first post-trial requests.

After a jury found the Korean company to have infringed on six Apple design and utility patents, amounting to over $1 billion in damages, Samsung asked the court to throw out a preliminary injunction against the Galaxy Tab. In its request, the company noted that the Apple v. Samsung jury found the Galaxy Tab not in violation of Apple's D'889 iPad design property, which was the basis of the original sales ban.

Judge Koh initially denied and vacated Samsung's request in September, pointing out that the matter was no longer under her jurisdiction as the Galaxy maker had filed an appeal with the CAFC. In that order, however, the judge noted that "under all circumstances, Samsung?s motion raises a substantial issue, and the Court therefore issues such an indicative ruling," foreshadowing Monday's order.

From the order to dissolve:
The Court agrees with Samsung that the sole basis for the June 26 Preliminary Injunction was the Court?s finding that Samsung likely infringed the D?889 Patent. The jury has found otherwise. Thus, the sole basis for the June 26 Preliminary Injunction no longer exists. Based on these facts alone, the Court finds it proper to dissolve the injunction.
The order goes on to say the court will retain a bond of $2.6 million Apple posted as a condition of the preliminary injunction until post-trial motions have been decided.

The Cupertino company's request to hold off judgment until all Rule 50 motions were argued fell on deaf ears, as the ruling read:
Even if Apple ultimately prevails on its post-trial motions, any permanent injunction would be prospective and not retroactive. Furthermore, the public has no interest in enjoining a non-infringing product, and thus any market disruption caused by dissolution would be insignificant compared to Samsung?s interest in restoring its product to market.
While the decision upends Judge Koh's initial preliminary injunction ruling, a permanent U.S. ban may still be in the cards for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 as the two parties are set to meet in December to hammer out a variety of post-trial motions, including the tablet's infringement of other Apple patents. Also set for discussion are the permanent injunctions of eight Samsung smartphones, including all versions of the Galaxy S II.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

But wasn't she supposed to be paid off by Apple?

• Reply 2 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Does it matter if its banned or not? Sales will constitute a rounding error in total tablet marketshare. 

PS- Had the misfortunate of using one of these for a couple hours. Horrible, horrible tablet. 

• Reply 3 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apparently, it wasn't enough.

• Reply 4 of 19
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    This is why I suggested that she needed to rule on the Rule 50 motion earlier.

As it is, this creates a significant bias against Apple on the Rule 50 motion. If she grants Apple's Rule 50, then she has to reverse this decision and reinstate the injunction. Since judges don't like to reverse their own decisions, it creates an unfair burden on Apple.

Now, it might be argued that she has already decided not to grant the Rule 50 motion, but that's not fair to Apple either since they haven't had a chance to present their case.

Overall, it was a bad move. She should have found a way to hear the Rule 50 motion before deciding this matter.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    What's Rule 50?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Had the misfortunate of using one of these for a couple hours. Horrible, horrible tablet. 

I had a different Samsung tablet in my hands this weekend. First time. Also the last time. What an annoying tablet. Don't know if it was the hardware or software, but the scrolling stutters, I couldn't find my way around. Wanted to start a web browser but couldn't find the apps. It was really annoying, non-intuitive frustrating experience.

I wonder if Android cellphones are crap in that same manner. Which I don't understand; if Google copied iOS why do they fill the phone screen with apps but not on the Android version designed for tablets?

I know I'll never leave iOS, that for sure.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Those obviously must have been monthly instalments...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Sounds fair enough to me. 

The Tab was found to not have infringed the trademark, so the ban should be lifted. Ironically, if Samsung hadn't lodged an appeal then the ban might have been lifted sooner.

What surprised me during the case was how few of these Samsung had actually sold before the ban.

• Reply 9 of 19
    Android is not for foul people, thats why i use android and not ios. I dont undertand how is possible someone couldnt find the browser in a samsung tab. Maybe because users of apple doesnt have enough ram in the brain
  • Reply 10 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Does it matter if its banned or not? Sales will constitute a rounding error in total tablet marketshare. 

PS- Had the misfortunate of using one of these for a couple hours. Horrible, horrible tablet. 

I agree.  It is a crappy product.  It should be banned if only to protect the public.

• Reply 11 of 19
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    mrfmanuel wrote: »
    Android is not for foul people, thats why i use android and not ios. I dont undertand how is possible someone couldnt find the browser in a samsung tab. Maybe because users of apple doesnt have enough ram in the brain

Foul people?

What exactly are those, He-Who's-Brain-Has-Been-Rammed?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    brutus009 wrote: »
    What's Rule 50?

Rule 50 is a procedural issue where Apple has asked the judge to overturn a portion of the jury's decision. The rule is that the judge can override the jury when the jury's decision is so obviously in error that no reasonable jury could have reached the decision that they did, so the decision must be in error.

Specifically, the Tab is nearly identical to the iPad. This is the judge who asked Samsung's attorneys to distinguish them and they were unable to. The jury found that a number of phones that were less identical to Apple's products were infringing, but did not include the Tab. Apple will argue that there must have been a misunderstanding because if ANY product was found to be infringing, it should have been the Tab.

It's not easy to win a Rule 50 motion. The facts have to be overwhelmingly on your side. That said, this one has a chance of success.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mrfmanuel wrote: »

You need to file a malpractice case against whoever taught you English.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Furthermore, the public has no interest in enjoining a non-infringing product, 

Ha, when I first read that I thought it said "enjoying" rather than "enjoining" and in my mind and in context "a non-infringing product" was replaced with an image of the Galaxy Tab - so on first past what I got from it was: "Furthermore, the public has no interest in enjoying the Galaxy Tab"

• Reply 15 of 19
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 16 of 19
    macrulez wrote: »

Rule 50 is a process by which the parties involved can request that the judge overrule the jury's verdict.  Both Apple and Samsung have submitted Rule 50 motions, effectively agreeing that the jury did a lousy job.

The difference, of course, is that the evidence supports Apple - just like the trial itself.
  • Reply 17 of 19

deleted

• Reply 18 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfmanuel View Post

I am not sure of your reasoning here.  You either like one or the other, and that is a matter of personal preference.  What kind of person you are has nothing to do with it.  I think some things are more intuitive and simple with iOS.  Again, a preference.  Other's preferences should not concern you.

• Reply 19 of 19

deleted