Apple named No. 2 global brand, "top riser" for 2012

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Brand consultancy firm Interbrand on Tuesday released its annual "Best Global Brands" study for 2012, and found Apple had the second-best brand value behind reigning champion Coca-Cola.

Interbrand
Source: Intrabrand

According to Interbrand, Apple's brand value increased 129 percent to reach an estimated $76.5 billion, the most growth shown by any of the top 100 companies on the global list. In determining value, the firm measures financial performance of branded products or services, the role of brand in the purchase decision process and the overall strength of the brand.

Apple leap-frogged over other huge corporations to take the No. 2 spot behind Coca-Cola after an eighth place finish in 2011. The company's brand value beat out Intel, McDonald's, GE, Google, Microsoft and IBM all in the past year.

The results are even more significant has enjoyed a meteoric rise to become the report's second most valuable brand in the world, jumping 18 spots since 2009.

Top Five
Performance of 2012's top five companies since 2001.

Although the iPhone maker didn't take the top spot, it outperformed smartphone rival Google, which placed fourth after rising 26 percent to end with a value of $69.7 billion. Rounding out the top five global brands was IBM's $75.5 billion in third and Microsoft's $57.8 billion in fifth. The Windows maker was the only top-ten company to have lost ground in 2012, having dropped two percent from a year ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Yeah, but Maps is such an utter catastrophe.

/s (SARCASM for those who don't get the /s tag)
  • Reply 2 of 19

Number two behind coke. I'll drink to that!

As much as I'm amazed by Apple's upward climb, I'm amused by Microsoft's declining vector. 

• Reply 3 of 19
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life? Or do you want to come with me and change the world?

• Reply 4 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Yet more evidence of Tim Cook's incompetence and lack of leadership. Reminds me if the 90s.. Apples downward spiral continues.

Oh woops, wrong thread. Still need to work out the bugs in my troll script.
  • Reply 5 of 19

I qa juat checking out how some of the other top 100 brands were doing. I was impressed by Samsung's growth to number 9 spot with a 40% rise (compared to Apple's 129% rise). I was also surprised that the one company to really plummet in value... no one else was even close to how rapidly Research In Motion changed location downward, falling 39% to number 93. 

People love some of the banks and trading companies at the center of the financial crisis more then they do RIM.

Even HP, with all their travails and "CEO of the Month" challenge only fell 8% to number 15.

• Reply 6 of 19
    Interesting to see that Coke is what's beating Apple. John Sculley's thinking he should have stayed with sugar water after all. : )
  • Reply 7 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac'em X View Post

Interesting to see that Coke is what's beating Apple. John Sculley's thinking he should have stayed with sugar water after all. : )

Under John Sculley, everyone was beating Apple.

• Reply 9 of 19
    I qa juat checking out how some of the other top 100 brands were doing. I was impressed by Samsung's growth to number 9 spot with a 40% rise (compared to Apple's 129% rise). I was also surprised that the one company to really plummet in value... no one else was even close to how rapidly Research In Motion changed location downward, falling 39% to number 93. 

People love some of the banks and trading companies at the center of the financial crisis more then they do RIM.

Even HP, with all their travails and "CEO of the Month" challenge only fell 8% to number 15.

I don't think the buying public keeps up with HP's carousel of CEOs. That's more of a Wall Street thing.

HP is still the largest PC manufacturer in the world. People know the brand... because many people use an HP computer every day. I'm not surprised HP is so high on the list.

Tough news for Dell at #49
  • Reply 10 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm waiting for people to tire of Samsung. I know I'm sick of them. I swear every other commercial on US TV these days is a Samsung commercial.
  • Reply 11 of 19

Someone with marketing background please answer...is Apple's brand value of $76.5 billion a measure of Apple's Brand Development Index (BDI)? Thanks. 

• Reply 12 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mmmm... I don't see Scamsung there ... must be a mistake ... /s
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I don't think the buying public keeps up with HP's carousel of CEOs. That's more of a Wall Street thing.
    HP is still the largest PC manufacturer in the world. People know the brand... because many people use an HP computer every day. I'm not surprised HP is so high on the list.
    Tough news for Dell at #49

Dell is kind of becoming another Gateway in terms of perception these days, minus the cows of course /lol
  • Reply 14 of 19
    mac'em x wrote: »

Then he was from Pepsi of course ...
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Number two behind coke. I'll drink to that!

As much as I'm amazed by Apple's upward climb, I'm amused by Microsoft's declining vector. 

I am surprised Coke is still number one in this day and age. In most first world countries at least, the connection between life threatening obesity and sugar drinks is pretty well understood. It would seem inevitable to me Coke (and Pepsi for that matter) will become pariahs one of these days.
  • Reply 16 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post

Yeah, but Maps is such an utter catastrophe.

/s (SARCASM for those who don't get the /s tag)

The s stands for sarcasm. I always thought it stood for serious. Well I'm still going to use it when I'm serious.

/s 

• Reply 17 of 19
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm waiting for people to tire of Samsung. I know I'm sick of them. I swear every other commercial on US TV these days is a Samsung commercial.

Generally the more ads you see the more the company needs, or feels it needs, to advertise itself to get into mind share. 

So what does that say about Apple. 

• Reply 18 of 19
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Dell is kind of becoming another Gateway in terms of perception these days, minus the cows of course /lol

Many years ago I remember my parents buying the family a gateway computer. 

My little brothers turned the boxes into a fort in the yard until the rain destroyed it completely. I swear that fort lasted longer and was more useful than the computer

• Reply 19 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Generally the more ads you see the more the company needs, or feels it needs, to advertise itself to get into mind share. 

So what does that say about Apple. 

It says that's probably a flawed belief, because Coca-Cola ads still air. As shown by decades of studies like this, who doesn't know about Coke?