Apple now building 'iPad mini,' WSJ says

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has begun production of a smaller iPad with a 7.85-inch LCD display ahead of a forthcoming launch, The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.

The report, citing people with knowledge of the situation, said that Asian component suppliers have initiated production. It said the new, smaller iPad will feature a display with a lower resolution than the new iPad, which features a 9.7-inch Retina display.

Citing two individuals specifically, the report said that mass production of LCD displays for the smaller iPad began last month. Both LG Display Co. and AU Optronics Corp. are said to be building screens for the new device.

The news comes as alleged parts from Apple's so-called "iPad mini" leaked online on Tuesday. They showed black and white designs, suggesting the device will come in two colors, and a space for a nano-SIM tray, implying at least one version of the device will offer cellular data connectivity.

iPad mini

Another picture of the back of the device showed an Apple logo and the name "iPad" in a manner identical to the full-sized model. There was no indication that the device would have the name "iPad mini" or "iPad Air" emblazoned on the back.

The device was also shown to have a thinner bezel on the sides than the full-size iPad. The new design could allow the device to be more easily held with one hand.

Wednesday's report gave no indication that production of the iPad mini is underway anywhere but Asia. One report this week claimed that production of the device is now underway in Brazil.

News of the iPad mini has picked up considerable steam this week, as Apple is expected to hold an event in October to unveil the device. Yet another report issued on Tuesday claimed that AU Optronics is building iPad mini screens ahead of an expected November product launch, presumably following an October media event unveiling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Here comes the sideswiper for Samsung from Apple:

The 7.85 inch 'iPhone 5 Solar System Note Edition'.

(The Note is: Colour not included)
  • Reply 2 of 63
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I'm still curious about the specs and pricing. I'm hoping for at least an A5 in the entry level model and a price below $300.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Certainly hope that certain i(nternet) person won't be posting today.

Will it look like:
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/13746/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 4 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Will it look like:

Yes, minus all that crap, I'd wager. Just 3.5mm, speaker hole, and Lightning.

And even smaller.

• Reply 5 of 63
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Curious on everyone's take. Do you think there will be an iPad Mini this month?

I think no, but I hope there is. The $299 iPod touch (that still has to be released this month)- pretty much killed the idea for me.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    blackbook wrote: »
    I'm still curious about the specs and pricing. I'm hoping for at least an A5 in the entry level model and a price below $300.

I'm betting on an A5/32nm but there is an argument to be made that A6/32nm could allow Apple to reduce the MHz while still maintain a relative performance level thus reducing the battery size, weight, and cost significantly so that it could be lighter, thinner, and potentially even cheaper than with the A5/32nm.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    Curious on everyone's take. Do you think there will be an iPad Mini this month?
    I think no, but I hope there is.

Based on all the "evidence" I think an October event with a November release could happen. Apple has the iPad market sewn up tight in terms of profits but it could use an iPad mini explosion to suck the rest of the air of the room to prevent the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 from gaining as much traction this Holiday Shopping Season.

November is pushing it for a release but the cheaper you go the easier it is to slide in a product at the last minute. US Thanksgiving is November 23rd this year. I could see plenty thinking they want a Kindle or Nexus because of the price and size changing their mind at the last minute for an iPad mini even though it costs a little more. If you have other iOS devices it's really an easy sell.
  • Reply 8 of 63

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Do you think there will be an iPad Mini this month? I think no, but I hope there is. The $299 iPod touch (that still has to be released this month)- pretty much killed the idea for me.

Yes. I think so but I hope there isn't. And the same explanation, actually, but other reasons killed the idea for me a long time ago.

• Reply 9 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm betting on an A5/32nm but there is an argument to be made that A6/32nm could allow Apple to reduce the MHz while still maintain a relative performance level thus reducing the battery size, weight, and cost significantly so that it could be lighter, thinner, and potentially even cheaper than with the A5/32nm.

I would not be surprised if you are right on with the A6 plus more production of A6 brings costs down even further. What are your thoughts on the Touch after this ...? Price drop or product drop?
  • Reply 10 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Yes. I think so but I hope there isn't. And the same explanation, actually, but other reasons killed the idea for me a long time ago.

Why I hope there is, is because the only reason I ever hear for not buying an iPad is the person wants something cheaper and will put up with smaller size. With both iPad and iPad mini the air just got sucked out of the market for all other tablets other for the Apple haters who will stick with their PC crap and Clunky tablet.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't think such skinny bezel edges are a good idea. Makes it hard to hold it by the sides in portrait mode without touching the screen.
  • Reply 12 of 63

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think such skinny bezel edges are a good idea. Makes it hard to hold it by the sides in portrait mode without touching the screen.

Ah, but you're supposed to be able to hold it from behind with one hand like a phone because it's "small enough to do that", so iPad-width bezels aren't needed.

• Reply 13 of 63
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I know what my family will be getting for XMAS
  • Reply 14 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Ah, but you're supposed to be able to hold it from behind with one hand like a phone because it's "small enough to do that", so iPad-width bezels aren't needed.

Are you missing an /s? A 7" to 8" tablet is still a bit big for that in my opinion. I would buy that argument for Samsung's Galaxy S III, but that's a 5" tablet.
  • Reply 15 of 63

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are you missing an /s? A 7" to 8" tablet is still a bit big for that in my opinion. I would buy that argument for Samsung's Galaxy S III, but that's a 5" tablet.

No, I'm just repeating what people who think this thing is a good idea are saying.

If they're being sarcastic, they've played the best game of thinly-veiled sarcasm I've ever had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of, and I tip my hat to them. image

• Reply 16 of 63
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    jeffdm wrote: »

No, I'm just repeating what people who think this thing is a good idea are saying.

If they're being sarcastic, they've played the best game of thinly-veiled sarcasm I've ever had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of, and I tip my hat to them. :lol:

On the one hand, ...a sleight of hand...?

If they can cram twice the internals of the iPad 'two-handed' 1st generation into a 'one-handed' slate, shed half its weight, cut the original price by half, ...and increase battery time between charges by half, well...that glass of iOS 6 whine will look half-empty to a whole lot of happy-hours patrons heading into grumpy season...

On the other hand, ...a handmaiden...?

Two and a half years, ...from infancy to adulthood... Hmm...the time scale nature devised to keep some mammals on their toes, treading treaturous lifelines with juvenile bravado as they methodically hone their kill set. Well...that time frame happens to cover the half-life of a clean slate, the iPad...versions all generations,  henceforth hooking up with the mobile crowd...be it age-old half-dried, or...new-age half-wet...

Or could 7,85inches just be shorthand for 'filling-a-void with a feather-light read/write tablet'...?

Hello? Hello? Are you there? For I most certainly am with my iPhoamy, my handful...my earful...my talkative tablet...!
  • Reply 17 of 63

i believe that it will be a 399 (and up) model.

apple will make the perfect 7 or 8 inch tablet for those that really want one.. they won't make a cheap tablet for those that want "cheap cheap cheap".

that isn't apple's market. you guys are delusional if you think that this will be cheap with less quality.

apple is about quality 399, retina, a6, 1gb ram, 7h battery instead of 10 and that's it. maybe 4g (499), maybe not.

• Reply 18 of 63
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I would not be surprised if you are right on with the A6 plus more production of A6 brings costs down even further. What are your thoughts on the Touch after this ...? Price drop or product drop?
    I imagine the touch is the device that will be canibalized here. I only really see young kids with touches and they mostly keep them at home. They will welcome a larger screen. I can see the touch slowly dying as the iPhone and iPad mini will devour it.
  • Reply 19 of 63

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

apple is about quality 399, retina, a6, 1gb ram, 7h battery instead of 10 and that's it. maybe 4g (499), maybe not.

That sounds REALLY logical. And will make it a huge failure in the eyes of the public that demands a $249 tablet.

• Reply 20 of 63
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member
    As long as the iPad Mini is released before Black Friday in the US (and provided the retail stores have enough in stock to meet demand), it'll sell fine through the holidays.