Apple wants to move Macs away from Intel chips - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 221
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Keep whatever future CPU x86 compatible, and I'm all for it. Personally, I think Apple would do a far better job than Intel would. Intel lateness in introducing certain chips and chipsets have cramped Apple in the past.

I use both my iMac and MBA to run Windows and that is a necessity. I hope Apple doesn't leave us in the dust.
  • Reply 22 of 221

I hope this is false. They could move to AMD but their processors are not in line with Intel performance wise. As long as AMD isn't able to catch up with Intel, it would be a bad move.

Moving to ARM... maybe but I guess it would be a very unpopular move. The move from PowerPC to Intel was right once the PPC processors were lagging behind Intel ones but Intel are still on top in performance and are the best Apple can get in their computers.

• Reply 23 of 221
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I don't see a safe landing space for Apple here. ARM is years away from having consumer class hardware beyond the mobile space.

AMD could be purchased for a pittance but does Apple really want to get into head to head competition with Intel?

Lastly virtualization is very key to Apple products being sold in Enterprise. Not saying it cannot be done with Apple homegrown solutions but a different architecture makes that endeavor much harder.
  • Reply 24 of 221
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member

This seems like a bad idea in the short to medium term. Intel's process technology is just so far ahead of everyone else that they can more than make up for x86's apparent performance-per-watt disadvantage to ARM. If Intel can ever get their act together and include some AMD-quality integrated graphics, they'll be invincible in the medium power-budget laptop market. 

On the other hand, we've seen from the iPhone/iPad that the processor is less and less important in many consumer applications, while the GPGPU hardware makes more of a difference. If Apple's willing to bet that people who do depend on CPU performance (like those of us compiling all the time) will either stick around because of the industrial design or aren't enough of the market to care, they could transition to ARM whenever they want to. They can always switch back if it doesn't work out (of course, the SDK is crucial here).

• Reply 25 of 221
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Ultrabooks 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Ooh, I don't know ... maybe 'doing a Samsung' on the MacBook Air with the Ultrabook.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

"Ultrabook, inspired by Intel" ?

I don't keep up to date on Windows tech apparently. Anyway, I really don't care about being able to run Windows on a Mac, although, I can understand how it could be a benefit to some. I always have a Win box around the office anyway. As long as OS X is still running UNIX and compatible with Adobe CS it will be fine with me. I'm assuming the performance would also be improved, which is the big question. Can they really build their own chip that performs better than Intel's?

• Reply 26 of 221

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So what did Intel do to piss off Apple?

• Reply 27 of 221

It would be amusing to see a slide "OSX has really been living a triple life all along" but I don't see it happening.

ARM does what it does well, x86 does what it does well. Intel has the best fabrication in world, period. AMD would be a step backwards, heck Apple is back to using nVidia for graphics too in the new rMBP. As for a switch to ARM for OSX it makes little to no sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This should probably read:

"... tests have shown that almost any ARM based chip, even non customised versions, are significantly faster and more efficient than any Atom chip yet made."

would be closer to reality. 

I would do a little more reading. These aren't those craptastic netbook Atom chips anymore. Intel's made solid advancements with Medfield. It's only slightly short of current gen ARM.  http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/motorolas-razr-i-benchmarks-intel-2ghz-medfield/

• Reply 28 of 221
    srangersranger Posts: 473member

If the MAC loses the ability to run Virtual Microsoft OS and I will no longer own one.....

Sorry, but the reality is that the vast majority of Business still use Windows Software and will for the for seeable future....

This would kill MAC sales in my opinion...

• Reply 29 of 221
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Obviously someone at Apple needed some negotiating power with Intel -- hence, the leak. True or not, I imagine there are a few execs at Intel who are not willing to "bet the farm" that the news is outright false.
  • Reply 30 of 221
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

That's not true, is it? From what I've seen, the Atom based smartphones are at the top of the Android heap performance-wise. Maybe not the fastest, but not terribly slow either.

I'm generalising of course but I'm pretty sure my version is a lot closer to the truth than the original in the article.  Even back in the very beginning of iPhone mania in 2007, Intel was asserting their Atoms were the best, but actual testing showed they lagged quite a bit behind even the ARM chips of those days which are far slower than what we have today.  I would also doubt that Intel could have pushed the performance of the Atom further in the intervening time than the development of the ARM solutions which has been rapid and steep.  Also, Atom may be fast(ish) now, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's efficient.  

• Reply 31 of 221
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

So what did Intel do to piss off Apple?

Well, for one, they subsidized the development of MacBook Air knock offs by offering a $100million ultrabook development fund so vendors could come close to matching Apple's pricing.

• Reply 32 of 221
    I think it's inevitable especially since AMD demonstrated this.......
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Demonstrates-Fanless-A10-5700K-Trinity-System-296214.shtml
  • Reply 33 of 221
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Apple was able to get Oracle to build a version for OSX but that stopped with an early version of 10. Compatibility with enterprise unix applications doesn't seem to matter since they aren't getting anywhere with the largest one. I understand the desire to have Windows capability but I'm not so sure that would keep Apple from abandoning intel chips (which ones are we talking about, only the CPU or everything?). As for customized AMD CPUs for desktops, I have been waiting for an ARM-based cluster desktop with a boatload of A-type chips. Look at how small the iPhone 5 motherboard is and envision twenty of those in a Mac Pro half it's current size. Would it satisfy power users? Would Thunderbolt operate external x86 boxes for a mini-Windows box? Is the graphic driver found in an iPhone 5 powerful enough to scale to a desktop system (multiple drivers or a larger one)? Could we start with a dual A6 in a MBP that comes with SIM-slot-technology for adding additional A6s?

I doubt Apple will be selling the same type of computer in five years that we're using today so thinking about the future is definitely something Apple has to do today.
  • Reply 33 of 221
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Do you think Apple is also ready to give up Thunderbolt? As I recall that requires Intel chip set, right?

• Reply 35 of 221
    AMD has shown off a fanless HTPC using the A10-5700K. I think that the small form factor that this enables would be a good thing (especially with it's low power consumption) for future Mac systems. I'm no AMD fanboy either. I built my own i5-3570k based gaming rig and couldn't be happier with it. Hopefully this is possible with the "non-K" processors in the A10 line. I think it is safe to say Apple will never use an unlocked CPU.

As for Thunderbolt- http://www.techpowerup.com/158480/AMD-Demonstrates-Trinity-APU-Its-Own-Thunderbolt-Alternative.html
  • Reply 36 of 221
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member

If apple were to put their own custom-designed ARM chips in Macs, here is how it would happen:

1. Apple would design a 64 bit ARM processor.

2. That processor would first be used in Apple's data centers -- we wouldn't hear about it for years

3. Once Apple was satisfied with the processor, it would introduce it to outside customers at the high end. Perhaps Apple would make a "render farm in a box" and sell it to people who need a lot of CPU power for very specific software packages. 

4. If step 3 works out, then Apple could slowly migrate the processor into consumer Macs. 

• Reply 37 of 221

How about they are planning on porting iOS over to the desktop/laptop side. Then they start using their custom designed chips.

Dont tell me there isnt an iOS powered imac sitting in the lab.  And dont get me wrong, I am not talking about touch powered. It might have keyboard and cursor interface just as OSX has today

on newly modified apps.

• Reply 38 of 221
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I would do a little more reading. These aren't those craptastic netbook Atom chips anymore. Intel's made solid advancements with Medfield. It's only slightly short of current gen ARM.  http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/motorolas-razr-i-benchmarks-intel-2ghz-medfield/

This is just raw performance specs which doesn't tell you a lot really. I was talking primarily about efficiency, and also "faster" in the context of actually making an OS faster, not just pushing pixels on a test. 

Also, the A6 (admittedly the "top of the line" ARM chip and perhaps not representative of general ARM advances), wastes the performance of the Atom chip device you point to, doubling or halving all those scores, because it's literally twice as powerful, which is a pretty rare thing and a hard obstacle for Atom adoption to overcome.  

The only manufacturers using Atoms in the near future will be those that are paid to do so, or Microsoft.  There doesn't seem to be much of a point to adopting Atom for anyone else. 

• Reply 39 of 221

Well that sucks if it comes to fruition.  I like using Fusion.

• Reply 40 of 221

Quote:

Do you think Apple is also ready to give up Thunderbolt? As I recall that requires Intel chip set, right?

http://www.techpowerup.com/158480/AMD-Demonstrates-Trinity-APU-Its-Own-Thunderbolt-Alternative.html