Third-party accessory makers held up by Apple's new Lightning connector rules

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is said to have made "significant changes" to its "Made for iPhone" rules, which has prevented third-party accessory makers from promptly getting their new Lightning-compatible accessories to market.

Apple's changes have tightened the company's control over Lightning accessories, according to a report published Wednesday by iLounge. It indicated that only Apple-approved manufacturing facilities will be given the ability to approve Lightning accessories, and Apple has not yet granted approval for any factories.

Unnamed sources who spoke with author Phil Dzikiy said that Apple is planning a "Made for iPhone" seminar in November in China. It's expected that third-party accessory makers will not be able to assemble and ship products in time for Christmas due to the short lead time.

AppleInsider was first to report last month on a chip found contained in Apple's new Lightning connector. Peter from Double Helix Cables has speculated that the hardware is an authentication chip that would prevent unauthorized companies from making their own Lightning cables and accessories.

Lightning

Those unauthorized suppliers based out of China admitted last week they are still working to clone Apple's Lightning cable and integrated chip. But those companies will apparently be unable to make any products until they can reverse engineer Apple's Lightning technology, while authorized accessory makers still await Apple's approval of their factories and products.

Some companies began advertising accessories such as Lightning to 30-pin adapters on Amazon less than a week after the iPhone 5 was unveiled, but their scheduled ship dates continue to be pushed back. Once accessory, the Nanotch adapter, is currently advertised to be released on Oct. 30, however it remains to be seen if that deadline will be met.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...  Apple's changes have tightened the company's control over Lightning accessories, according to a report published Wednesday by iLounge. It indicated that only Apple-approved manufacturing facilities will be given the ability to approve Lightning accessories, ...

These sentences makes it sound like Apple is exerting some draconian control measures merely for it's own devilish pleasure.

The more likely explanation is that it doesn't want approved Apple accessories made at toxic plants that employ children.  

• Reply 2 of 62
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I love my iPhone 5 but the way apple is handling the accessories market pisses me off.
    Is there a legit car charge available?
    Att said they don't have them (nor did the store I go to have the ability t transfer data from old to new iPhone)
    I see none on the apple store. So you just have to buy a 30 dollar cable (rip off) and then plug it into the USB (if u have one) already on your car charger.

Appears to me as though they are just being anal.
  • Reply 3 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I love my iPhone 5 but the way apple is handling the accessories market pisses me off.

Is there a legit car charge available?

Att said they don't have them (nor did the store I go to have the ability t transfer data from old to new iPhone)

I see none on the apple store. So you just have to buy a 30 dollar cable (rip off) and then plug it into the USB (if u have one) already on your car charger.

Appears to me as though they are just being anal.

Umm if your car charger has a USB input already why would you need the adapter? Shouldn't you just be able to plug the lighting cable directly into that since it's USB at the end?

For example this should absolutely work

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Dual-Heavy-Ouput-Charger/dp/B00622AG6S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349293829&sr=8-2&keywords=iphone+car+charger

• Reply 4 of 62

or substandard cabling that will fry devices.

• Reply 5 of 62
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Umm if your car charger has a USB input already why would you need the adapter? Shouldn't you just be able to plug the lighting cable directly into that since it's USB at the end?

For example this should absolutely work

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Dual-Heavy-Ouput-Charger/dp/B00622AG6S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349293829&sr=8-2&keywords=iphone+car+charger

that would work fine, but most people (including I) seem to prefer a stand alone car charger without having to buy a highly priced cable from apple 

a cable should cost 10 bucks, i don't want to pay an "Apple Tax" on a cable haha

• Reply 6 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The more likely explanation is that it doesn't want approved Apple accessories made at toxic plants that employ children.  

I hope this is the reason why. If so, Apple is going out of it's way to make sure that not only will the iPhone itself be enviro and labour friendly, but associated accessories too. Now this is raising the bar to a new level.

There is a bit of me concerned that it is all for profit....

• Reply 7 of 62

Quote:

that would work fine, but most people (including I) seem to prefer a stand alone car charger without having to buy a highly priced cable from apple 

a cable should cost 10 bucks, i don't want to pay an "Apple Tax" on a cable haha

But they give you a cable. Just use that one until the third party ones hit the market

• Reply 8 of 62

Quote:

Says who?

• Reply 9 of 62
    Apple tax? FUD U
    know
  • Reply 10 of 62
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Dear Gawd- not this again.
  • Reply 11 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I would hope that they are making a profit.  That is the general idea behind being in business after all...

• Reply 12 of 62

The way the company is handling the launch is not up to Apple's standard.  While the company is selling millions of new phones, they forget about the cases, the charging cables, and adapters for accessories.  None of those are available. Now, they want to nickel and dime the accessory makers.  That is not a good way to do business if they are pissing their customers off.

• Reply 13 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Dear Gawd- not this again.

not ^ again... the door is over there >

• Reply 14 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Really?? I think Macbooks should cost $1.99.  There!!

• Reply 15 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

I would hope that they are making a profit.  That is the general idea behind being in business after all...

keyword in my statement is "all", i'm certainly very happy if Apple makes a ton of money

• Reply 16 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Contrary to the standard "vote with your wallet" belief, you don't get to determine what you pay for this sort of thing. You don't want to pay it, fine. You don't get to have it.

• Reply 17 of 62

Quote:

keyword in my statement is "all", i'm certainly very happy if Apple makes a ton of money

You would think that they are making less profit than before because the new Lightning to USB cable sells for the same price as the legacy 30-Pin to USB cable, and the Lightning cable has the additional manufacturing expense of the chip.

• Reply 18 of 62
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    The big problem here is that we are all stuck wondering what the deal is on the cables because Apple won't tell us. If there is a reason for the cables to cost $29, all they have to do is explain why, and the anger will dissipate. If there is a reason why 3rd parties can't mass produce them, tell us. If there's a reason the chip is there aside from reversing the pins, tell us. This whole Apple secrecy thing gets quite old sometimes.
  • Reply 19 of 62

Quote:

I hope this is the reason why. If so, Apple is going out of it's way to make sure that not only will the iPhone itself be enviro and labour friendly, but associated accessories too. Now this is raising the bar to a new level.

Well the kind of cruel, "we just want to make as much money as possible!" attitude that would be represented by the other option is pretty unlikely.  Despite everyone harping on this sort of thing every time it's in the press and assuming the worst, Apple has historically never done that kind of thing.  Everyone just loves to hate Apple and generally ascribes base motives to them without any evidence or history whatsoever.  I think it says more about those making the accusations than it does about Apple. 

It's also interesting how everyone harps on Apple's accessory prices, and no one ever defends them in return, but obvious scams like "Monster" cables are rarely criticised except in jest, and even then hundreds of idiots will cram their two cents in about how the price is totally justified or whatever.  

It's all about Apple, and hating Apple.  

This is where the two most popular memes about Apple originate IMO.  

Apple is the underdog that miraculously succeeded.  Apple is the ugly girl that everyone made fun of during the Microsoft years that now turns out to be a movie star.  Since most folks are bitter and shallow, they will go out of their way to find reasons why Apple will soon be the underdog again (Apple is doomed) and to search the movie star's beautiful face for pimples and zits (Apple products are no better than product X).  

• Reply 20 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

The big problem here is that we are all stuck wondering what the deal is on the cables because Apple won't tell us. If there is a reason for the cables to cost $29, all they have to do is explain why, and the anger will dissipate. If there is a reason why 3rd parties can't mass produce them, tell us. If there's a reason the chip is there aside from reversing the pins, tell us. This whole Apple secrecy thing gets quite old sometimes.

Actually this is all known stuff.  

- The cable is $30 because of the chip.

- the chip is there to identify the accessory as "genuine"

- 3rd parties *can* mass produce them (by buying a licence to do so)