In-depth Review: Apple's iOS 6 Maps & the alternatives

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenboy View Post

... if people try to compare amongst the various options they will see that it's not as bad as everyone says and most will find it perfectly adequate for their purposes. ...

While I agree that the negative hype is too much and that overall the app isn't that bad (and can only improve), I don't think you could argue that it's "adequate for (most people's) purposes" as you say. 

Most people (world-wide not USA) don't drive, so the over-emphasis on car traffic and turn by turn is not helpful for "most."  

The complete lack of transit directions means that it can't really be considered adequate for most people either.  

The walking directions are a joke and best not mentioned at all.  

There is exactly zero information of any kind on bike paths, etc. at least in my area.   

• Reply 22 of 66
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    vreeland wrote: »
    Wow, I like how the world (including Apple) is saying that the new Maps app is garbage yet AI is in some kind of denial.
    Yes, Apples Map app works (most of the time), yes it might have some places where the '3D' rendering is better than Google Earth/Maps... but when you look at the big picture, the Google product has time on its side, almost 9 years of development. Just by that alone, Apple has alot of catching up to do in order to even come close to Google and its Maps app.
    Over these 9 years they have developed both a web interface (accessible to everyone via the internet) that integrates with your phone/tablet so there is no need to write down or remember that address. Google has built in an optional location history that tells you where you have been (Google Latitude). Google developed navigation for those who use public transit, those who bike, and for those who walk (not to mention the normal driving navigation). Google has introduced offline maps so you don't need to be connected to the internet to access maps (which is nice for a wi-fi only tablet or a phone that doesn't get the greatest of reception). The Google Street View project has put more than 5 million miles on their fleet of vehicles, that's just shy of 10.5 trips to the moon and back. The list goes on and on...
    Maybe Apple Maps will one day be on the same level as Google is now. But as of right now, Apple has taken a large step back in ditching Google Maps and their 9 years of development to introduce this experimental app to their users.
    And for the record, I do have both a iPhone 4S (that has been downgraded back to iOS5 after 2 weeks of 6) and a Motorola Droid 4 (on Ice Cream Sandwich/Android 4.0.4) & I use both on a daily basis.

1. First Post. Check.
    2. "I have Apple devices." Check.
    3. List features that iOS 5 Maps didn't have. Check.
    4. Complains about Transit (although Transit apps are available). Check. (Valid complaint when 1, 2 & 3 = false)
    5. Complains about "Street View" (although "Street View" apps are available). Check. (Valid complaint when 1, 2 & 3 = false)

but... but... I am a Pandaren Monk, I swear!

The reason Google pundits went ape$h!7 about Apple Maps is because Google sees the potential of the Apple solution. Map Gate was a paid smear campaign by Google much like Cut-and-Pastegate, Flashgate and Antennagate .
  • Reply 23 of 66
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i have Navigon that i used in August

very good maps

crappy interface

it had misrouted me as well

i've used Waze for over a year and bought navigon for a vacation. waze couldn't find an address i would be using while on vacation. Navigon had it but it sent me to the other side of town one time when navigating to a different address in the same town.

google maps on iOS was crap because the traffic reports were crap. it would tell me light traffic and then it would be a stand still by the time i got to the highway. waze had the best traffic

Which proves the point that none is perfect. All of them are pretty good (better than a paper map imo) and together they are a little better. Just because Navigon can't find an address once or twice, or if Google maps lead me to a slightly wrong location, I don't find either of them useless. My expectations have been tempered after years of traveling and countless miles and hours being lost. 

• Reply 24 of 66
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

I don't know if this helps but here's a good starting point for using Siri;

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/14/what-can-you-say-to-siri-in-ios-6/

Is there an equivalent for iOS 5?

• Reply 25 of 66

I just went on a huge road trip all over Texas with the new Maps app, some 1000 miles finding some really obscure places and popular places alike.  The only problem I encountered was finding Sundance Square in Fort Worth.  In this case, we were sent to a nearby parking lot, like 3 blocks away.

All told, I'm thrilled.

• Reply 26 of 66
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    While I agree that the negative hype is too much and that overall the app isn't that bad (and can only improve), I don't think you could argue that it's "adequate for (most people's) purposes" as you say. 

Most people (world-wide not USA) don't drive, so the over-emphasis on car traffic and turn by turn is not helpful for "most."  
    The complete lack of transit directions means that it can't really be considered adequate for most people either.  
    The walking directions are a joke and best not mentioned at all.  
    There is exactly zero information of any kind on bike paths, etc. at least in my area.   

That's a fair assessment. What gets me is how Apple Maps is missing some major London train stations. Maybe the app is caching data but I reported the errors a month ago now (during the beta phase) and still haven't seen a fix.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    don108don108 Posts: 79member
    One thing I haven't noticed anyone saying: the new Apple Maps app is MUCH faster than the old one. I also think it's much better looking. As for accuracy, it's been fine for me. The old Google version has sent me in the wrong direction numerous times.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I just went on a huge road trip all over Texas with the new Maps app, some 1000 miles finding some really obscure places and popular places alike.  The only problem I encountered was finding Sundance Square in Fort Worth.  In this case, we were sent to a nearby parking lot, like 3 blocks away.

All told, I'm thrilled.

Try this same trip anywhere outside of the continental USA and you will be surprised how completely opposite the experience will be.  

Personally, instead of an apology, I'd like to hear from Apple exactly what their strategy is going to be moving forward in terms of fixing the data (leaving out the problems of the app itself).  

For instance I was in Vancouver last weekend.   This is the third largest city in Canada, barely across the border from the USA and where a huge amount of Hollywood movies are filmed.  Millions of people live there and it's also a very technologically inclined area, much like Silicon valley.  There are 3D maps and 3D building information readily available on the City Hall website and complete vector maps not only of every street and park but of all the electrical corridors, sewers, everything.  Vancouver is years ahead of most other cities of it's size and age in terms of having this kind of data available for public view.  

Yet Apple's maps of Vancouver are almost unusable.  I know because I was trying to use them all last weekend. 

Parks overlap streets in ridiculous ways.  Every single Train station is placed where the station is underground and not where you would actually enter it (blocks to one side usually).  Most streets have a couple or three restaurants listed on them even though in fact they are lined on both sides with restaurants of all kinds.  If you search for a restaurant of a particular type it will find some and mostly they are accurate, but there must be about 70-80% (conservatively!) that don't show at all.  Pedestrian areas are all unmarked, so roads you aren't allowed to drive on are included in the driving directions (only a matter of time until a tourist mows down some pedestrians).  

Other than the basic, general layout of the streets (which is only mostly correct because streets change so infrequently), I found the map app absolutely useless for getting around, and this is in a huge "western" city in North America, less than an hour from the border.  I absolutely shudder to think what it's like trying to use this app anywhere remote or uncharted.  

• Reply 29 of 66
    My experience with iOS 6 Maps:
    Bay Area - pretty good
    National Capital Region - okay to good
    Baltimore - marginal to okay
    Frederick, MD to Harrisburg, PA - sketchy to marginal (did some things very well, but it also got me lost a couple of times and sent me down roads that didn't exist anymore. When it sent me down the non-existant road, it just stopped working altogether. I guess it wasn't embarrassed.
    Turn-by-turn spoken directions - devours the battery (or rather the power stored therein)

My evaluation of MapQuest app:
    App sucks hairy Butters' chin-balls

Experience over the last few months with iOS 5 Google Maps:
    Although located in the Bay Area by hitting the angled-north-arrow thing, it routinely returned search results in SoCal for Hotdog on a Stick, somewhere in Texas for Bass Pro Shop, and somewhere in Nebraska for Target. These are the three I remember because they were particularly irritating.
    Failed to return search results sometimes.
    Seemed to insist on re-zooming-in after I pinched to zoom out. Really annoying.
    Are these the fault of the app or the maps? I don't know.

All in all, I am happy to make the transition. At least I have a new set of things to piss me off, and I know things will get better.

Edit: Sorry, website took out all my formatting and won't let me put it back in.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Great write-up. One of probably only 3 articles worth reading on this subject. Excellent job!
  • Reply 31 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    isheldon wrote: »
    Maps has still fudged up the name of the location where I live. And what good is tapping on the pin if you don't get a Street View?

I won't belive you unless you give us a screen shot. Until then, it's assumed to be a lie.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by vreeland View Post

Wow, I like how the world (including Apple) is saying that the new Maps app is garbage yet AI is in some kind of denial.

Yes, you know what "the world" says, and yes, you know how to read, given that you think Apple has stated Maps is "garbage".

but when you look at the big picture, the Google product has time on its side, almost 9 years of development.

Huh. Maybe it's just a touch premature to start slamming Apple given this information, eh? 

Remember what happened the last two times Apple entered a market with absolutely no prior experience therein?

The Google Street View project has put more than 5 million miles on their fleet of vehicles, that's just shy of 10.5 trips to the moon and back.

What a waste of gasoline. And I bet those cars weren't even self-driving, so that's even more gas wasted because Google didn't multitask.

Maybe Google Maps will one day be on the same level as Yahoo! is now. But as of right now, Google has taken a large step back in ditching Yahoo! Maps and their whatever years of development to introduce this experimental app to their users.

People, in aught three. 

And for the record, I do have both a iPhone 4S (that has been downgraded back to iOS5 after 2 weeks of 6) and a Motorola Droid 4 (on Ice Cream Sandwich/Android 4.0.4) & I use both on a daily basis.

*yawn*

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I won't belive you unless you give us a screen shot. Until then, it's assumed to be a lie.

Happy probably-1,000-by-the-time-I-finish-writing-this-post!

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

1. First Post. Check.

2. "I have Apple devices." Check.

And the e-mail address associated with his account certainly shows how much he cares about the content he posts here. 

's a little in-joke for Jeff and the boys here… As silly as it is, I'm not going to reveal a user's e-mail.

• Reply 33 of 66
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Watch this video (link below)

Its not just about navigation...it's a whole lot more.  

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/starthere/behind.html

Then, explore these links to realize what you're missing by using iOS Maps.

http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/starthere/index.html

Note: The newer features shown off at a press even in June.

• Reply 34 of 66

By the way, this article is such a pro-Apple, biased piece.  Every phrase is chock-full of spin it makes me sick.  The only way Apple will come out winning at the Maps game is to improve search...and that's something that they have about 12 years of catching up to do.

• Reply 35 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by vreeland View Post

AI's not the only one.

John Gruber (Daring Fireball, The Talk Show podcast) and his little circle of podcast guests are entirely dismissive of the whole issue.

Odd really, because I tend to agree with a lot of what he says, but not this time.

• Reply 36 of 66
    Have to say I agree with atashi and mastoid. The Maps.app works fine for what I need a map app on a phone to do. Recording coordinates for birding apps, locating specific restaurants, bluetooth calls, and the odd time or two when I need to locate my position on a trail. For driving applications I don't see any phone app worth fussing over compared to my Garmin GPS which is easy to use, update, and follow turn-by-turn directions (muted). Not to say Map.app doesn't have it shortcomings and quite honestly, was over hyped. But then I find most of the mobile apps on phones to be overhyped.
  • Reply 37 of 66

comment removed by author
  • Reply 38 of 66
    I do not have a problem with Apple's new maps app in iOS. In fact, I really like it a lot. There I said it!

That's not to belittle any criticism leveled at it's inaccuracies and problems. It's just that I'm tired of all the media attention and articles which is blowing things way out of proportion. You would think the world is coming to an end or people suddenly are losing their way in our cities and roads and driving into bodies of water and over cliffs.

I didn't by my iPhone for maps only. I am more than willing to live with the errors for now while it continues to improve. But most of all, I love having the turn by turn voice navigation feature that Google was not willing to give iPhone users. It works perfectly for me.

Instead of the constant whining and complaining, let's put the effort into identifying errors and submitting them to Apple. The sooner the better. Cause in the end, Apple's new maps are going to blow Google's maps out of the water. And you better bet that Google knows this.

There, I said it. Can we move on?
  • Reply 39 of 66
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    mistergsf wrote: »
    There, I said it. Can we move on?

You'll be disappointed to know that this is the first of five articles.

Daniel Eran Dilger is like a drunk who can't let things go once he thinks he's been insulted.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    rodentrodent Posts: 49member
    Apples TOMTOM map sucks in comparison to Goggles map plain ans simple. Apple screwed us.