Starbucks app update brings Passbook support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    john.b wrote: »
    I hope this will augment the Starbucks cards and not replace them.  It's easier to organize a Starbucks run at work when everyone has their own cards to pay for their own drinks, etc.

Everything I've seen it's just an additional feature for apps if they want to use it. Think of how Push Notification works in that apps can use it but it's still just a single service running on your phone. This is giving store cards apps you might have a way to pop up when you are very near without having to background every app and have it keep checking for your location.
    We write "10/16/12" because we say, "October 16th, 2012".  The fact that the rest of the world doesn't like it is just icing on the cake.  ;)

When you put it that way I have no counterargument.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 22 of 86
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I hope this will augment the Starbucks cards and not replace them.  

I doubt they will replace the card. Not everyone has a smartphone.

• Reply 23 of 86
    No Passbook support in the UK either!
  • Reply 24 of 86
    You need to add the words AS LONG AS YOU LIVE IN THE US! As with a lot of these things only the US get to use it. What about the UK?
  • Reply 25 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

We write "10/16/12" because we say, "October 16th, 2012".  The fact that the rest of the world doesn't like it is just icing on the cake.  ;)

So your "John.B" handle obviously doesn't stand for the very British "John Bull"  ;~)

• Reply 26 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is one caveat. Passbook doesn't seem dynamic in it's ability to update your balance on a card like your Starbucks card. That field is generated and put into the Passbook pass. That means you'll have to go into the Starbucks app to get a new pass sent to Passbook or keep a mental track of your balance. Not a big deal, but something I hope Apple addresses.

Actually, that's incorrect.

Passbook has the ability, through new guaranteed-delivery push notifications, to update your card in real-time (depending on Starbucks' servers).

Any and every field can be updated instantly.

Remember how they talked about updating your boarding gate in realtime at the airport? That's what this is about.

So you have nothing to worry about. Passes are very dynamic. 

• Reply 27 of 86
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Actually, that's incorrect.

Passbook has the ability, through new guaranteed-delivery push notifications, to update your card in real-time (depending on Starbucks' servers).

Any and every field can be updated instantly.

Remember how they talked about updating your boarding gate in realtime at the airport? That's what this is about.

So you have nothing to worry about. Passes are very dynamic. 

I don't think card is dynamic. I think push is dynamic. Like the gate can be changed when it is pushed but the balance will not change immediately after you pay for something. I'm not 100% sure though.

However Pass has ability to notify you by time, like time for your movie, time for boarding, so 2 flights a week apart shouldn't be a problem.

• Reply 28 of 86

Quote:

Off Topic: Starbucks sends you your free rewards and free birthday drink as a postcard in the mail. It's not a very fast or secure method as anyone can use your postcard.

Today I received in the post my latest free drink card but the text was different:

This may be your last postcard. Starting 10/16/12* your rewards will load digitally right onto your Card, ad we'll notify you by email when you've earned one. Verify your email so you don't miss a drink. Starbuck.com/rewards

This plus Passbook should make this a big hit.

* I don't mind the Imperial Units of measurements that the US still uses but I don't get why we use the backwards date of putting the smallest duration between the second largest and largest duration, respectively.

Why weren't digital rewards available from the get-go? Receiving rewards by mail based on digital accumulation of points is that sending an email that is delivered by a postman.

• Reply 29 of 86
    As long as we can all agree to put the date largest to smallest so the date sorts right, I would agree that the US should change. That would follow the trend that Capt. Kirk set in motion years ago!
  • Reply 30 of 86
    Updated app, but no passbook working in UK.

half the time I have to use my card anyway as the staff say they are not allowed to handle the ipod and the till is too far from the drive-thru window for the scanner to reach so I only get to use app if I actually go in
  • Reply 31 of 86
    matrix07 wrote: »
    However Pass has ability to notify you by time, like time for your movie, time for boarding, so 2 flights a week apart shouldn't be a problem.

But is it smart enough to not show a pass at a location if the time perimeter is set and not yet within an acceptable window.

harbinger wrote: »

Why weren't digital rewards available from the get-go? Receiving rewards by mail based on digital accumulation of points is that sending an email that is delivered by a postman.

I figure becuase a lot of customers would probably still need some way to print them out from email or their website, so this was an extra service Starbucks was eating the cost on. With just the card, it just doesn't have a way with their local systems to query the transaction server and ask if you want to use your free drink or wait.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    tl790tl790 Posts: 2member

I had to turn off both Passbook and Starbucks's location services because I work RIGHT ABOVE the Starbucks in my building and it kept going off every 5 min.

They should work in some system where it only buzzes me between 8:00 and 9:00 am.

Also, does anyone know how often Passbook uses its location services?  Maybe I'll just keep it off all the time if it just drains my battery.

• Reply 33 of 86
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Apple certainly makes it a pain to add things to passbook. You first need to download the Starbucks app. Then you need to add your cards to the Starbucks app. Then you need to create a Starbucks account in the app including your email and postal mailing address. Already have an account and forgot username & password? Then you need to go to their web site to retrieve that stuff. Then you need to go into the Starbucks app and select your card. Then you need to click manage. Then you need to click add to Passbook.

• Reply 34 of 86
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Apple certainly makes it a pain to add things to passbook. You first need to download the Starbucks app. Then you need to add your cards to the Starbucks app. Then you need to create a Starbucks account in the app including your email and postal mailing address. Already have an account and forgot username & password? Then you need to go to their web site to retrieve that stuff. Then you need to go into the Starbucks app and select your card. Then you need to click manage. Then you need to click add to Passbook.

If you are doing all that just to try out the Starbucks's Passbook pass then you aren't the target. All I had to do was update the app to get access to Passbook because I'm a longtime user of their service.

You also don't need to use an app to add a pass. As previously stated the OS can add it from pretty much anywhere. it's a just a file like sending a vCard and the system will update appropriately. I don't think it could be easier to add a pass to Passbook.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    Just tested it out. After it's used you don't have to go into the Starbucks app to "refresh" you balance. You can aaimoly turn the pass around and pull to refresh to update your balance. That is two steps more than I'd like but t least I dot have to use the app at all (or the physical card).

Tomorrow ill use it and see if auto-updates before I use it on the weekend.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

As long as we can all agree to put the date largest to smallest so the date sorts right, I would agree that the US should change. That would follow the trend that Capt. Kirk set in motion years ago!

I absolutely agree.  This should commence 2012/10/05.

• Reply 37 of 86

Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

As long as we can all agree to put the date largest to smallest so the date sorts right…

Ah, so 2012/10/05 is October 5, 2012.

And 2012/11/10 is October 11, 2012. image

• Reply 38 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, so 2012/10/05 is October 5, 2012.

And 2012/11/10 is October 11, 2012. image

Uh yeah, that wont be confusing! Actually I prefer Year/Month/Day because it is much easier to tell which is older/newer etc.

But anyway, I'm actually one of the few that is excited about Passbook. Just got my Starbucks update and will try it out a little later. I understand that we can add passbooks via link, sms etc., but do you know of a site or similar somewhere that lists coupons available for download to passbook? One where we don't have to go in and create our own. I ran across a couple today, passfox.com and woobox.com but passfox had like 3 coupons, and woobox somehow was linked to facebook (didn't log in). Does anyone know if sites like Best-Buy, Walmart, Gap etc. have anything like that? Maybe an email signup list or something that doesn't need the App?

Oh also the valpak app has quite a few coupons to push to passbook.

• Reply 39 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I don't have the new iOS (I still have an iPod Touch second generation), but my understanding was that Apple made it so if you open the passbook file on your phone, the card is automatically added. Isn't that right? That would mean it's not Apple who's making it a pain, it's Starbucks. They could just ask for your email address and mail you the file, or have you log in to their website on your phone and open it from there.

Or did I totally misunderstand?

• Reply 40 of 86
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

* I don't mind the Imperial Units of measurements that the US still uses but I don't get why we use the backwards date of putting the smallest duration between the second largest and largest duration, respectively.

It's not just the U.S. that's screwed up on this.  I don't know why everyone doesn't use ISO 8601 standard notation (YYYY-MM-DD...) which makes lexicographical order equivalent to chronological order. Furthermore, when you see a date in ISO 8601 format, there's basically no ambiguity about which digits represent the month and which digits represent the day.