Street View for Google Maps web app goes live [ux2]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google on Thursday began to integrate Street View data into the web app version of Google Maps, bringing the feature back to iPhone 5 and iOS 6 users, however the rollout appears limited to certain locations.

Update: Most areas in U.S. and Canada now covered.

Update 2: Reports are coming in from around the globe that Street View is live in most supported areas.

The service brings back interactive 360-degree street-level photographs to iOS after Apple replaced the native Google Maps-powered Maps app with its own solution in iOS 6.

As of this writing, it seems Google hasn't completely integrated the Street View dataset into its iOS-compatible web app, as some locations supported by the full-fledged version built for desktop browsers aren't yet offered in the mobile variant.

To use the feature, an iOS 6 user can either navigate to the Google Maps homepage and search from there, or use Safari's search built-in search function to locate a specific address or building.

In the following example, the "Flatiron Building" was entered into Safari's search bar, which yielded the address and simple line map for the Origins store located at the base of the iconic Manhattan building.

Google Maps
Source: Google

Selecting the map image brings up a satellite view of the area and the usual location marker, with barebones map controls located at the top and bottom of the window. New to this view, however, is the small stick figure at the bottom right of the screen which, when pressed, opens a new window with a stripped-down Street View interface.

Street View

While panning and scrolling operations are smooth, there is no option to zoom in on an object and the image has not been corrected for pincushion distortion. As expected, the experience is not as rich as using a desktop browser, however the image quality is high and the controls are intuitive.

Street View
Flatiron Building as seen in Google Maps Street View web app.

Street View
Same view of Flatiron Building taken from the Google Maps desktop client.

At the moment, the service is not completely stable, as returning to the search window to query additional locations sometimes causes the map to go blank. A simple closing and reopening of the window is enough to reset the webpage.

The internet search giant looks to be implementing a staggered release, starting with major metropolitan cities like New York, and it is not yet known when the service will be fully functional.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73

Street view for Google is now available in Perth, Australia as well.......

• Reply 2 of 73
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Search for "rijksmuseum Amsterdam".
    Excellent service, seems Google is doing something right.
    Seems to work in the small village I live in.

J.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member

It's working in central London UK, sort of...  The icon is there until you tap the map, then it disappears and I can't seem to bring it back again without reloading the website.

Also, once in Streetview, when you exit, again the icon is no longer there.... work in progress, but pretty handy they are adding this feature.

• Reply 4 of 73
    And this couldn't have been done without flash before for iOS?!? Of course not because that wouldn't have helped to sell android phones. Google will roll out ALL the features now that it HAS to do so to get back some of those millions of users lost that upgraded to iOS 6.

Google wasn't helpless, they just continued to use us iPhone people to further themselves while putting their efforts into the android knock-off.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

And this couldn't have been done without flash before for iOS?!?

WebGL has not been mature until recently

• Reply 6 of 73
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    djkikrome wrote: »
    And this couldn't have been done without flash before for iOS?!? Of course not because that wouldn't have helped to sell android phones. Google will roll out ALL the features now that it HAS to do so to get back some of those millions of users lost that upgraded to iOS 6.
    Google wasn't helpless, they just continued to use us iPhone people to further themselves while putting their efforts into the android knock-off.

Damn good point.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    The main issue with Apple maps is that the database they are using is largely inaccurate or incomplete, correct? For the most part the naming of streets and numbers is acceptable - why can Apple not license the basic Google search for places of interest and route the two addresses?

All turn by turn is still done by Apple but they are not going to get close to Googles knowledge database of search any time soon. Time to renew that license Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Just wanted to report that it's working in Germany, Cologne to be exact. When it's "needed", I guess it's nice to have. However, Apple Maps is far better... and is also working quite well here.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    The main issue with Apple maps is that the database they are using is largely inaccurate or incomplete, correct? For the most part the naming of streets and numbers is acceptable - why can Apple not license the basic Google search for places of interest and route the two addresses?
    All turn by turn is still done by Apple but they are not going to get close to Googles knowledge database of search any time soon. Time to renew that license Apple.

Because maybe Google wouldn't allow them to pick and choose ala carte what services they were able to license and integrate?
  • Reply 10 of 73

Quote:

Amen.

I'd take an Apple's maps over Googles any day.  If it means a Google less platform.  (Back stabbing Androids!)

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 11 of 73
    As always, everybody and his dog could run Apple better... or any company or country for that matter.

That is until reality hits them in the face and they're the ones at the negotiating tables with details in hand. And/or they have a 2,3, and 5 year product and service strategy plan that the entire company has worked on with managers of each department adding their expertise, suggestions and realistic expectations to the mix.

Yup! You could all surely do better. Ever heard of "Armchair Quarterback"? Hint: it's not an endearing title.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    No need here in Lisbon (Portugal). Apple Maps runs fine :)
  • Reply 13 of 73
    I really hope that it hasn't yet been enabled, but this only works on the iPhone. It currently doesn't work on the iPad (both the iPhone and iPad were using the same wifi access point).
  • Reply 14 of 73
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Would prefer a native app but this will do for now.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member

Agreed 100%...

Apple: "We want you to add voice navigation to maps."

Google: "We'll think about it..."

Apple "Ok then we will make our own maps...."

Google "Wait, you mean we'll have to create our own app that competes with all the other map apps in the App Store so we don't lose iOS ad revenue?"

Apple "Yes and the customer will win because you will have to create an app that is comparable to your Android version--more choice!"

Google "Wait can we talk about this.."

Apple [sound of crickets...]

Brilliant move Apple...

• Reply 16 of 73

Its working in brisbane on an IPad3 with IOS5. Just testing to decide if I will jump in and upgrade or hang off until there is a decent solution. Nice is also that google has enable the bicycle layer. Its what I use my phone for planning cycling trips. :)

• Reply 17 of 73
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member

for my agreed 100% remark in the my prior post, I was replying to djkikrome...

I guess I should learn to quote....

• Reply 18 of 73

Quote:

Of course not because that wouldn't have helped to sell android phones. Google will roll out ALL the features now that it HAS to do so to get back some of those millions of users lost that upgraded to iOS 6.

It's almost like Google is chasing competitive advantage because its reason for being is to make money! 

Who'd have thought that Google, just like Apple, is a business?

• Reply 19 of 73
    This is a good first start. The native app "Live Street View" is better though. I don't like the inability to drop a pin on the map to go where you want to go. I wish apple and google would play nice. I know the history and all, it just seems like apple is losing its focus by its hatred of google. If this continues, google will win. Please apple, let it go. But I digress, please allow me to touch the map to enter street view.
  • Reply 20 of 73

I tried it..

It's OK, but...  I tried "Curiosity Rover" -- and got Moffett Field???