Street View for Google Maps web app goes live [ux2]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

WebGL has not been mature until recently

I don't get it. Google has a javascript API for streetview that performs much better than that flash crap. drop that in a UIWebView and, boom. problem solved.

• Reply 62 of 73
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Apple" "we want to add voice navigation to maps"

Google: "Thats fair, can we name the map google Maps, and add a opt-in location service"

Apple: "No"

Google: "really you just want to use years and years and billion dollars investment without offering anything?"

Apple: "shut up, we will make our won maps"

Google: "are you sure? ios is a big market we want to stay in. But if we have to kiss your toes and hand out our valued info for free, then its goodbye, shame"

Apple: "introducing the most beautiful power maps man has ever seen. Apple maps!!"

Nokia and Google: "Really" (burst out laughing)

Apple: "Introducing Apple Maps, were sorry, it will get better, pinky promise"

Google: "this sucks, okay guys time to build an ios app, hope the approve it, ios overlords might not"

10-15-20 years later:

Apple: "google I love you"

Google: "Why did we ever fight, I love you too"

Microsoft: :"Apple, I thought we hated Google?"

Apple: "We use to hate you too, its technology things change"

--------------------------------------------------------

Moral of the story none of this will mater 10 years from now or even 5 years from now, stop the google hatred. All tech companies are freindnemies. No reason for rabid Apple fans to hate google or any company for that matter as far as enemies go. Google doesnt even see Apple as an enemy, google has sleepless nights about Microsoft and facebook. Apple needs to have nightmares about samsung. Google can't take Apple's bread and butter but Samsung can. 

Google Hatred???  Where in my post do you see Google hatred?   It was just my opinion as I just thought it was a brilliant business move on the part of Apple no hatred involved.  In spite of the conjecture you posted above (years and years of investment, etc.), I was simply stating a much reported fact that Google preferred to keep the much requested (from iOS users) voice navigation exclusive to Android.  It appears that Apple simply said that if you don't want to provide users with the best map experience, then you lose the position of being an Apple provided App.  By doing this, I believe, that Apple put Google in the position of having to update the map app in order to compete with the other map apps in the App Store.  Apple has had some short term negative press but as soon as the Google Map App comes out, all that will go away leaving iOS users with the choice of whatever map app they want to use--consumers win.  Simple business decision nothing more...  I agree that none of this will matter in 5 or 10 years as all the map apps will have sufficiently mature location data by that time.

• Reply 63 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

I don't get it. Google has a javascript API for streetview that performs much better than that flash crap. drop that in a UIWebView and, boom. problem solved.

No sure it is better though. The desktop version has zoom and is not as distorted as the new Mobile Safari version. With Flash you have a much more robust application foundation than Javascript. Not saying Flash is perfect but one thing it is not is lacking in programmatic functionality.

• Reply 64 of 73
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Certainly hope they release this for the desktop as well. Meaning that they should release a non-Flash version as I don't have Flash installed on my working machine.

(perhaps already mentioned but can't read the comments on my iPhone)
  • Reply 65 of 73
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Doesn't seem to work on the iPad...

J.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    No Android support? But Android is better than the crap HW Apple sells¡

There is a street view app on Android, wouldn't they just use that?
  • Reply 67 of 73
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No sure it is better though. The desktop version has zoom and is not as distorted as the new Mobile Safari version. With Flash you have a much more robust application foundation than Javascript. Not saying Flash is perfect but one thing it is not is lacking in programmatic functionality.

With Flash you have a massive memory footprint for substandard performance when you really just want to write an Objective-C/Cocoa Google StreetView/Maps app in iOS natively that leverages OpenGL ES 2.x and QuartzXtreme for iOS.

After all, it is not as if Google is absent working on the LLVM/Clang project, WebKit and other notables. They somehow managed to make the most unimpressive and odd use of WebGL possible. Truly bravo!

• Reply 68 of 73
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

So touch screens are a stolen product. Can you tell me the difference between Windows phone of the early 2000's and Android?

Ill tell you, usable touch screen. 

Ill tell you what Google did. What every company does. 

Hey blackberry is the most popular product on the market. Lets built android of that. What was android pre iphone. A computer operating system, with an app store, and google services. 

Post iphone, google goes wow look how they did that, okay lets go all touch screen. What did android change into post iphone. Lets see a computer operating system witn an app sore and google services. 

Like I said, I view the iphone transition, the same way I view, the desktop to laptop transition, nothing more. 

For an automated response-bot, it sounds, at times, semi-coherent. The attempted understanding of the history of tech is highly imaginary.

Cheers

• Reply 69 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not sure it is better though. The desktop version has zoom and is not as distorted as the new Mobile Safari version. With Flash you have a much more robust application foundation than Javascript. Not saying Flash is perfect but one thing it is not is lacking in programmatic functionality.

With Flash you have a massive memory footprint for substandard performance when you really just want to write an Objective-C/Cocoa Google StreetView/Maps app in iOS natively that leverages OpenGL ES 2.x and QuartzXtreme for iOS.

After all, it is not as if Google is absent working on the LLVM/Clang project, WebKit and other notables. They somehow managed to make the most unimpressive and odd use of WebGL possible. Truly bravo!

I don't disagree with your assessment, although reducing memory footprint is not always a high priority with desktop applications, however I was replying to someone who was advocating this Mobile Safari version should be applied to the standard web browser interface to eliminate Flash and also claimed it was better than the current Flash implementation which I disagree with. The OP's secondary remarks about putting this Javascript code into a UIWebVeiw for iOS is not even a valid argument since that is just a Dashcode hack and not a real iOS app solution.

• Reply 70 of 73
    Not available on our PC Mac or iPhone 5, the maps seem crippled still on IOS
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Not available on our PC Mac or iPhone 5, the maps seem crippled still on IOS
    Also after trying what you get for Google Maps on my Mac, it showed our home 1/2 mile down to the street, take a right, not out street first house. Not good.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    (Back stabbing Androids!)

I'm in the mood for a laugh...care to qualify that statement?
  • Reply 73 of 73
    gazoobee wrote: »

Google did actually "betray" Apple.  They did actually "steal" their OS from them. There are real, actual reasons why Google is "bad" and Apple is not.  

care to qualify this statement? Last I checked as an avid user of BOTH platforms they are Apple and Oranges different...both fruits...both sweet, but not the same.

So please tell me how an Apple is an Orange...