Macuser.co.uk: "Gigahertz Power Macs due next week" (21.Jan)

mklmkl
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
macuser.co.uk has been pretty accurate recently:

Gigahertz Power Macs due next week

MacUser sources have confirmed that next Tuesday, 22 January, is the most likely date for the release of Apple's first ever 1GHz Power Mac.

Dealers in the US have been alerted to expect new stock of three new models early next week, although the specifications of the new machines are still tightly under wraps.

The timing of the announcement is a surprise, coming so soon after last week's unveiling of new iMacs at Macworld Expo San Francisco. But Apple executives have admitted that the iMac's impressive specifications, including its 800MHz G4 processor, had introduced confusion into its product line-up. The processor in the existing mid-range Power Mac is only 67MHz faster than the top-end iMac, and it doesn't come with a monitor, yet it costs £439 more.

But while any new Power Macs will be faster than the existing products, speed bumps are not expected to be large. US sources indicate the range will top out at with a dual 1GHz machine. Consequently, next week's roll out will be a low-profile affair. The announcement will come in a press release, rather than in a special launch event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    crayzcrayz Posts: 73member
    Oh God you have got to be kidding me. 1GHz tops? That is shit.

People keep saying, "wait, wait, it'll get better." I think if Apple intros new PowerMacs topping off at 1GHz next week, I will not be alone in screaming back:

"WHEN?!?"

• Reply 2 of 44
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by MKL:

<strong>macuser.co.uk has been pretty accurate recently</strong><hr></blockquote>

?? A couple of weeks ago they said that Apple would release 1.4GHz Power Macs at MWSF.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

?? A couple of weeks ago they said that Apple would release 1.4GHz Power Macs at MWSF. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe it was one of those we-really-planned-a-G5-launch thingie..
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Maybe it's just Steve spreading rumors to lower the expectations so Apple can release a 1.2GHz G4 which will seem blazing fast...... :confused:

I'm still a bit worried that those specs are accurate...
  • Reply 5 of 44
    [quote]Originally posted by crayz:

<strong>Oh God you have got to be kidding me. 1GHz tops? That is shit.

People keep saying, "wait, wait, it'll get better." I think if Apple intros new PowerMacs topping off at 1GHz next week, I will not be alone in screaming back:

"WHEN?!?"

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Piss off, wanker. Go buy an HP.

SdC
  • Reply 6 of 44
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Dual 1Ghz at top maybe a joke.

However, selling Dual 1Ghz with all those updated stuff at $3400 is a real joke
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Piss off, wanker. Go buy an HP.

Hmm, would that be the "I know you're right, but I don't like it" response, or the "you might be wrong, but I'm not smart enough to point out why" response?

How about this: you send me $1000 and I will buy an HP. Until then, it's a free country and I'll say what I want about Apple. If there really isn't a problem with Apple Pro machines topping out at 1GHz, perhaps you could explain why.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Well maybe you can afford to upgrade to a new machine every year but I can't. You still get an extremely poswerful useful machine. My trials and tribulations with Windows software and hardware each day at work keep me real on this subject.

Anybody can say anything they want about Apple in this forum but nobody likes a whiner
  • Reply 9 of 44
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

<strong>If there really isn't a problem with Apple Pro machines topping out at 1GHz, perhaps you could explain why.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uhm, I know, I know, because faster G4s don't exist?

Don't like that response? How about, you have no idea what Apple is coming out with in the future? Perhaps it is wise to only give a small speed bump now and pour the R&D resources into the next PowerMac, as opposed to spending more time and resources trying to make the current G4 better, thus delaying the introduction to its successor.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member

<strong>Oh God you have got to be kidding me. 1GHz tops? That is shit.

"WHEN?!?"

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to agree with you - Apple is definitely a day late and a dollar short at this point.

I will actually be pleased if a small bump is all they do, in a perverse way. The PM line is in desperate need of a complete overhaul, so slightly faster G4s in a Quicksilver case tells me the big upgrade is a couple months off and they're trying to buy some time. On the other hand, if these come out with a new motherboard and case but still top out at 1GHz, I'll be pissed because that tells me that they can do no better, and there's no hope of improvement any time soon.

It may be that Apple just doesn't have the resources to crank up completely new versions of the iMac and PowerMac simultaneously. They may have put PM development on a back burner for a couple months in order to get the iMac out the door.

I'm trying very hard to give Apple the benefit of the doubt. I have to assume they know their business better than I do. They certainly know performance matters, and they can't grow market share with slow machines. In the greater scheme of things, a couple of weeks doesn't really matter, but it sure is tough to sweat it out.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Look on the bright side: The iMac was in exactly the same place a few months ago.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    ok, so they say top of the line is 1 GHZ dual...maybe correct, maybe not...lots of people didn't see G4 iMac with superdrive at 800 MHz...but even if this is true, it is a simple speed bump till G5 comes....and if they say top of the line is dual 1 GHz...then the line up should be:

good---933 MHz $1599 or 1699 with more ram and faster bus etc probably a combo drive with superdrive as bto add on

better--1.2 Mhz $2299 to 2499 with more ram, faster bus and superdrive2

best---dual 1.0 Mhz $2999 to 3499 with more ram, faster bus, larger hd and superdrive2

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 44
    i think everyone has to keep the big picture in mind. apple has known for a long time that there is a performance gap, and they've been working for the last year or two to correct it. we hope/assume/believe that the G5 is that correction. until it's released, however, i wouldn't expect to see any real changes to the mobo or I/O systems. apple knows the new systems have to impress and they need all the incremental changes they can get to make the G5 launch memorable. i think, regretably, it's just gonna take time.

since MWSF was obviously a consumer-driven show, i would expect MWNY to be a pro-fest with lots of pro announcements, hardware and etc.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Uhm, I know, I know, because faster G4s don't exist?

This would be like if you've been poisonedÂ*, and you go into a hospital and they say "don't worry, it's not a problem - no antidote exists"

It may not be Apple's fault that Mot can't make a decent processor to save it's ass, but it is Apple's problem. Try learning the difference.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Look on the bright side: The iMac was in exactly the same place a few months ago.

Look at the dark side: crap iMac sales for the past year+ dragged down Apple's market share, revenue, profit, and stock price.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    If these rumored speed increases are correct, they aren't much. However, if these new pm's have the apollo chip with DDR and they are priced lower than current models, they might be worth considering.

I'm still hoping for the G5.

- Mark
  • Reply 17 of 44
    If this is to be true I will say "Wow Apple. Still can't give me a reason to upgrade from my broken beige G3 tower". This is bull.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Well it seems that the mobo will be exactly the same, with the old 133 bus...

I really hope that this Power (Hum...) Mac, is just a transition before the coming of real pro machines. But I must admit that the transition period has been way too long already.

I must say that the specifications are very poor.

The PowerMac is outdated, overpriced, and the performances are... well let's not talk about it.

• Reply 19 of 44
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Anyone knows Steve's email?
  • Reply 20 of 44
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [email protected]

An out of hand rant will do nothing. Be concise and clear.