factory locked iPhone 5 for the usa delayed ?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

READ BOTTOM POST FOR UPDATED POST 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

Few months from now.

• Reply 2 of 18

i hope not hope they do like the 4s and release it the month after (October), I hate the contracted ones, and I hate the fact that if you buy a no commitment one from at&t it is still locked to them, I dont want to have to fill out that unlocking form and then hope to qualify for them to unlock it, plus have to wait a few days for them to unlock it, and then when they do unlock it have to restore iPhone, it is a shame that you are paying them the same contractless price, but they still dont have it already factory unlocked like apple, when you pay that much to apple they give it to you factory unlocked. Not selling the iphone factory unlocked in the USA like they do others sounds like a short term Monopoly for the top 3 phone carriers to be the only people able to make money off of the iphone 5 in the USA, until apple decides to sell the iphone 5 unlocked in the USA for those who dont want to be locked to a carrier.

i feel sorry for those who are desperate and have been waiting for months for an iPhone 5, to upgrade from either a slow, or broken phone and need it as soon as possible and wanted to be one of the 1st ones to get a iphone 5 before they are sold out for a week or two, who wanted the unlocked version is the USA.

• Reply 3 of 18

Originally Posted by bcbcbroderick View Post

i hope not hope they do like the 4s and release it the month after (October), I hate the contracted ones, and I hate the fact that if you buy a no commitment one from at&t it is still locked to them, I don't want to have to fill out that unlocking form and then hope to qualify for them to unlock it, plus have to wait a few days for them to unlock it, and then when they do unlock it have to restore iPhone… 

Then don't buy one; wait for the unlocked model!

• Reply 4 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then don't buy one; wait for the unlocked model!

thats exactly what im doing im waiting for the unlocked model, I was just speaking on my thoughts on how un fair it is that other places get the unlocked iphone 5 now, but not the USA where the iPhone 5 was designed and stuff by apple headquarters they should serve and please the USA with all options  before others.

• Reply 5 of 18

…how un fair it is that other places get the unlocked iPhone 5 now, but not the USA where the iPhone 5 was designed and stuff by apple headquarters they should serve and please the USA with all options  before others.

The US has it pretty dang bad, dunnit? But that's the carriers' fault and responsibility, not Apple's.

I agree; Apple needs to flip the carriers the bird and only make iPhones that are unlocked, regardless of purchase price.

• Reply 6 of 18

Does anyone think that the factory unlocked Iphone 5 for the usa will be released october 11th, or whenever the new ipod touch is released later this month ? I hope they release the factory unlocked iphone 5 for the usa soon. 

• Reply 7 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

All I want is for Verizon to sell me THEIR model at full price, and then I'll go to Straight Talk and convince them to let me give them its MEID.

• Reply 8 of 18

Verizon wireless sucks, they may have more lte then others rite now, but when it comes to speed and service half the time they suck. AT&T is better to me even though they dont have good customer service sometimes, but they do have faster speed over half the time and more 4g, Verizon on the other hand dosent have much 4g at places there is no lte. Anyways to get straight talk you would need to buy a no commitment AT&T iphone and hope that it is unlocked like some clam, if not pay one of the cheap services to imel unlock it for you, straight talk uses gsm and a sim card, here is a video about straight talk on the iPhone im still waiting on the factory unlocked iphone 5 so that i 1. get a better re sell value 2. can use more then one service provider & it for when go outside the usa to visit relatives 3. so that if i have any problems with iPhone 5 i will have apple care, and be able to get it swapped out for a factory unlocked iphone 5 not a carrier locked one. 

• Reply 9 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Anyways to get straight talk you would need to buy a no commitment AT&T iPhone and hope that it is unlocked like some clam…

That's the thing, I don't want to do that. I want Verizon's network, not AT&T's, and since StraightTalk DOES use Verizon's network for some phones, all they have to do is activate my MEID and I'm in business on it. And then, of course, Verizon has to sell me their model of phone at full price.

• Reply 10 of 18

oh to do that you would go to a Verizon store or apple store and tell them you want to buy the device only with out activation, so that they then give you the no commitment version and charge you full price. If they dont do that then you can go on ebay etc to buy a non activated new Verizon wireless iphone, there new changes to there web site ic suck. 

• Reply 11 of 18

Wow out of all over 500 viewers of this thread no one voted but 2 people

• Reply 12 of 18

Does anyone think the unlocked iphone 5 for the usa will release this month ? If so it will be released at the same time like the unlocked iphone 4s did last year, except the unlocked 4s came out on a friday. I hope the factory unlocked iphone 5 for the usa releases this month , to all those who view this post if you have any estimates on when the factory unlocked iphone 5 for the usa will release post a reply thanks.

• Reply 13 of 18

You can already buy them from Apple Stores, I think.

• Reply 14 of 18

so far in the usa you still cant buy a factory unlocked iphone 5 from apple, they sadly still wont tell any information on it on the phone or online chat, and still have not posted anything about it on the site. every time i talked to them they say apple hasent made an announcement and that they do not have any information and wont untill it releases to consumers. 

• Reply 15 of 18

Will the factory unlocked iphone 5 release this week ? I hope so, due to i need the factory unlocked version for using other carriers when traveling. I refuse to do some of the things others say i should do that are 

1. pay a service etc to unlock iphone by providing them the imel number 

2. wait while plus have to send a receipt etc to AT&T to unlock iPhone 5, also they will when you buy the no commitment iphone 5 from them make sure you have a voice and data plan with them as well to, and will try to charge you an activation free again, instead of just selling you the phone and giving you a new nano sim with your account stuff on it ( applies to some stores only others may not charge fee)

3. jailbreak iphone 5 to unlock it for free, but then have lots of problems and risk like battery dieing twice as fast and more

4. buy one from outside the usa. 

I dont want to do any of the above due to

1. if you do any of those, and were to have to get a replacement iphone due to any of the problems like some with dents out the box, screen problem etc, you would loose that unlock, instead you would be given a locked to a carrier one due to your model number telling what model iphone you have.

2. when you get replacement iPhone your imel number changes which means that if you do 1 or 2 of the above you will loose that unlock

3. if you buy from another country there warranty is different, witch means you would have to have it shipped all the way to there and back to have your iphone fixed, also the iPhone 5 cost more there to almost like the ones on ebay etc that cost way more. 

Leaving forward my best choice is to wait for apple to hopefully release the factory unlocked iPhone 5 soon, i hope they release it this week, and the shipping on it is either not to bad or its reservable for next day pick up.  If you have any comments on an estimate on when you think the factory unlocked iPhone 5 for the usa will release post them thanks. 

• Reply 16 of 18

It looks like the factory unlocked iphone 5 has been delayed for the usa. Unlike the factory unlocked iPhone 4s that released a few weeks after the iPhone 4s, the factory unlocked iphone 5 still hasent been mentioned by apple site or representatives. Carriers like verizon and at&t have also taken away from there online stores the option to buy the no commitment iPhone 5, instead you can do the 2 year agreement only, or will have to sign in with your account. Apple has given no hints this year regarding when the unlocked iphone 5 for the usa will release. I hope the factory unlocked iphone 5 for the usa releases soon, the carriers are mean about unlocking, and if an iphone 5 from one of them were to have problems, and be swapped out by apple you would loose your unlock, due to they would give you a locked to carrier one because of the model number, and when they replace your iPhone it has a different imel number. When you unlock your iphone with no jailbreaks etc they use your imel number to unlock it. Hopefully they release the factory unlocked iphone 5 with the media event tuesday, and they dont release it months later like they did for the iPhone 4. If you have any estimates on the factory unlocked iphone 5 for the usa comment this thanks.

• Reply 17 of 18
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Definitely agree, this isn't cool. I'm getting closer to moving to Sprint every day, but would rather buy the unlocked iPhone 5 and go with Virgin. We'll see what happens.

• Reply 18 of 18

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Definitely agree, this isn't cool. I'm getting closer to moving to Sprint every day, but would rather buy the unlocked iPhone 5 and go with Virgin. We'll see what happens.

Just go to an Apple Store and buy one, then.