Apple releases supplemental updates for OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion and 10.7.5 Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released two supplemental updates, one for OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, which brings fixes for three issues, and another for the legacy OS X 10.7.5 Lion, which solves two problems.

Supplemental Update

As relatively minor releases, supplemental updates serve as stopgaps between major version changes and sometimes include time-sensitive issue resolutions.

OS X v10.8.2 Mountain Lion Supplemental Update 1.0

From the release notes:
The OS X v10.8.2 Supplemental Update is recommneded for all users running oS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 and includes the following fixes:
  • Resolves an issue that may cause certain Japanese characters to appear incorrectly in Mail
  • Allows Safari to access secure sites when parental controls are enabled
  • Addresses an issue that may prevent systems with more than 64 GB of RAM from starting up
The update weighs in at 27.35MB and can be downloaded via the Mac App Store's Updates section. As a note, users will be prompted to restart their machines after updating.

OS X v10.7.5 Lion Supplemental Update

Lion Supplemental Update

From the release notes:
The OS X v10.7.5 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running OS X Lion v10.7.5 and includes the following fixes:
  • Resolves an issue that may cause Time Machine backups to take a very long time to complete
  • Addresses an issue that prevents certain applications signed with a Developer ID from launching
  • The Supplemental Update is recommended if you installed the Mac OS X Lion v10.7.5 Update (build 11G56).

It is not needed if you install the Mac OS X Lion v10.7.5 Update (build 11G63).
The 10.7.5 update comes in at 2.0.2MB and can be downloaded via Software Update or Apple's Support Downloads webpage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Hmm… still don't see it, though Aperture 3.4.1 just showed up, despite having installed it a week ago… 

Did we ever get an article on iPhoto 9.4.1 when it came out, then? Because it's out now, too.

I still don't understand how we knew or expected it before that happened.

• Reply 2 of 13
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Just updated my mid 2011 13" MBA.  First I've seen of the iPhone 9.4.1 update also.  It was dated 10/01/12.. but I certainly didnt see it before today.

After installing both updates.. my mail app also reconfigured itself.  I guess to support the Japanese characters better.

Always feels so weird to have to reboot my Macbook after installing these updates.  Its about the only time my Macbook gets restarted.  Coming from the Windows world.. thats always a pretty big difference.

• Reply 3 of 13
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member

All right! 10.7.5 supplemental update fixed my glacial Time Machine backups on my MacBook.

• Reply 4 of 13
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    All very nice and lovely but until there is a wifi fix I am not cheering.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    paxman wrote: »

Wi not?

Sorry.

Just messing with you. ;-)
  • Reply 6 of 13
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You are having problems with wifi on your Mac?

• Reply 7 of 13
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    I want them to consider fixing my iMac that stutters when playing music and movies.

While they're doing that, perhaps they can help these poor souls with the same problem??

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4149309?start=0&tstart=0

Hundreds of posts, 25,000 views. I'm 60% sure it's not just me ;-D
  • Reply 8 of 13
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    You are having problems with wifi on your Mac?
    Yes, since ML. A major pain. I have to turn Wifi off and on many many times every day. Only on my iMac. The laptops are fine.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Yes, since ML. A major pain. I have to turn Wifi off and on many many times every day. Only on my iMac. The laptops are fine.

What do your System Logs report? [under About this Mac]

What does the Base Station report?

• Reply 10 of 13
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

All right! 10.7.5 supplemental update fixed my glacial Time Machine backups on my MacBook.

Quote:

I havent had either of those issues, luckily (although I don't use Wifi on my iMacs) but my Time Machine backups have been fine on all my computers (including my mother in-law's one white macbook that cant run ML but is running 10.7.5.

My weird bug I got was when I upgraded to Mountain Lion, none of my Apple TVs would wake my iMac up from sleep anymore.  I did disk utility/repair disk before and after install, etc, and it worked the morning before on Lion, and stopped with the only change being the ML upgrade.  10.8.1- still had to go manually wake my iMac to stream from my iTunes library.  10.8.2- fixed it.

I googled if anyone else was having the problem, and couldn't find one.  So weird things like that hit some of us, but not others.  And even on crazy rare cases like mine (which I did report), it gets fixed inevitably.  I don't understand... and don't care to.  :-)

• Reply 11 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Still no fix for the IMAP prefix bug on Notes in Mountain Lion???
  • Reply 12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

• Allows Safari to access secure sites when parental controls are enabled

Wow, that limitation is finally addressed after, um, forever? I turned off parental controls quite a while ago, mainly due to this limitation, and now rely on education, common sense, actual parenting, and OpenDNS FamilyShield.

• Reply 13 of 13
    This update killed my SSD startup volume. :(

Not happy. I have to back it up and reformat. This is going to take days to fix.