Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic offline use for a wide area

Comments

• Reply 41 of 180
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't do their usual incredible job of managing expectations, but that doesn't change the fact that the onslaught of Maps criticism we've seen, starting immediately after its release, along with all the other circumstantial evidence, point to this being a long-planned, extensively choreographed Google PR campaign. Google's fingerprints are all over it.

It also doesn't change the fact that most tech reporters (actually, most reporters of any beat) are idiots for whom "the story" is more important than the truth and that they're always more than eager to lap this nonsense up and regurgitate it, especially if it comes with the promise of "access" in exchange. Or worse yet, denial of access if they don't play along.

So, you're not really disagreeing, at least not in your actual comments, you're saying Apple deserved it. I disagree entirely with that.

And, I think when this all blows over, people get used to Apple Maps, instead of Google Maps, and Apple makes the inevitable refinements that we all know are coming, any intelligent person will realize that Apple Maps was the embodiment of skating to where the puck's going to be.

Like with antenna gate I blame Apple because they failed to adjust how the dM ratings are shown on the phone prior to the initial release. They failed to realise that if you have a much better and therefore more sensitive antenna that can place and hold calls at many dB lower than any other phone that existed before it that you can't have your bars read a null a value because people will not understand that the bars are an arbitrary representation of signal strength. If not for that much of the issue would have been nullified.

Same goes for Apple Maps. If they had thought it through they would prevented much of it. They should have known that Google was going to o a smear campaign just as much as Obama should have known Romney was going to lie the other night. Obama lost because he wasn't prepared properly, not because he wasn't prepared at all. You have to gauge your opponent responses to everything you do and if you fail to do that it's your shortcoming, not theres.

Of course Google was going to try to defend its position here. There are few areas where Apple hasn't come in and dominated financially. So far, that hasn't been anything Google does but that can change and with Apple's user base it can change in a short time.
  • Reply 42 of 180
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Apple should have mentioned this as a feature when they launched the iPhone 5. Something like "iOS 6 Maps - ensuring you stay lost, even without cell reception!"
  • Reply 43 of 180
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Street view is widely use, as a matter of fact I used it today. Being in denial about Apple Maps is not going to improve the situation.

I used it too, so I could post an example of how useless it is.

Being in denial about how pointless Street view can be is not going to improve the situation.

Especially when I have shown using examples how both Nokia and Google maps are wrong when Apple maps are right. eg. one of the streets which doesn't exist in Nokia Maps is called Selwyn Ave, Google call that street Longhurst Rd, Google also call part of Glasshouse Bvd, Longhurst Rd and call Longhurst Rd, Longhurst Rd.

Note there is only one Longhurst Rd.

• Reply 44 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

My 4S maintained the Maps even after hard reset.

Airplane Mode shuts down the GPS. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The GPS works with Data and the connection to the carrier are shut off.

Yes - thats how I understand it...

the headline is wrong, not just misleading

• Reply 45 of 180
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

....for offline browsing and GPS navigation under Airplane Mode....

As soon as I am in airplane mode GPS is unavailable, what am I doing wrong?...

Same thing happens to me.  But after I read post #27 I manually turned cellular and wifi off.  Wonders of wonders GPS works.

• Reply 46 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Oh no heaven forbid we hear some thing positive about Apple Maps in iOS6.  OMG help me I was never lost and can be found.

I once was lost but now am found,

Was blind, but now I see.

• Reply 47 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

I can't reproduce this. I just looked at Melbourne, Australia on Apple Maps on my iPhone. A city that I've never looked at before in maps. I let Maps sit at the default zoom level on Melbourne and waited several minutes, then turned on flight mode. I wasn't able to zoom into Melbourne (maps got blurry) and I was only able to see a little bit more than the original rectangle around Melbourne when zooming out.

Yeah I just tried it and I get nothing but blurry pixels too. 

• Reply 48 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Same thing happens to me.  But after I read post #27 I manually turned cellular and wifi off.  Wonders of wonders GPS works.

agreed - very poor (incorrect) wording in the article - GPS will NOT work under airplane mode - in fact when you turn cellular OFF (in settings - general) it ONLY turns off cellular data - 

i hope no-one else wasted time wondering if something new existed under IOS6 that kept GPS on even in airplane mode

• Reply 49 of 180
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Yes - thats how I understand it...

the headline is wrong, not just misleading

Given that the headline doesn't say, "Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic airplane mode use with GPS for a wide area," but says, "Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic offline use for a wide area." it would seem that the only thing wrong or misleading is your characterization of it.

• Reply 50 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Given that the headline doesn't say, "Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic airplane mode use with GPS for a wide area," but says, "Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic offline use for a wide area." it would seem that the only thing wrong or misleading is your characterization of it.

The misleading part comes later in the text:

"Vector maps in iOS 6 are so efficient that Apple can cache a very large surrounding area for offline browsing and GPS navigation under Airplane Mode or when traveling outside of data coverage."

• Reply 51 of 180
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

The misleading part comes later in the text:

"Vector maps in iOS 6 are so efficient that Apple can cache a very large surrounding area for offline browsing and GPS navigation under Airplane Mode or when traveling outside of data coverage."

So you agree he was wrong and misleading in his comment regarding the title. Thanks.

• Reply 52 of 180

the bold part (at least it was when the article was new - is WRONG - there is no GPS when in airplane mode. OK thats what I said - the article has a rather large ERROR in its predicate OK OK? maybe - the article could get FIXED?

• Reply 53 of 180

Quote:

no its not my charaterization - its just wrong - like you its wrong

• Reply 54 of 180

Quote:

So you agree he was wrong and misleading in his comment regarding the title. Thanks.

Yep!

Got me there.

• Reply 55 of 180
    twoseetwosee Posts: 58member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

The problem is there are more Apple Haters than lovers.  There are mega corps who want to see Apple fail.  This was a successful campaign.  Kinda like politics but worst.  At least in politics there are some boundaries.  But in the tech world there is no mercy.  Especially when you have 10s of millions even 100 million on legal teams and strategists to hurt the other guy.  If Steve Jobs was still alive he would have brought this stupid map issue to its knees and any one who caused or made it a problem would have trembled at the mere thought of facing the man.  This too will pass and Maps will be a mega app for the iPhone and iPad.

I disagree. I don't believe there are MORE haters than people who LOVE Apple, the difference IMO is that the people who hate are much more vocal and seem to care waaaay too much about it. I love Apple... have for decades, but I could care less about the competition. I don't go to Android forums, I don't "preach" to my android friends how much better my product is... personally I dont care about the others that much.

• Reply 56 of 180
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

The GPS on the iPhone has been that way since day one.

As soon as TomTom came out, I bought the US/Can App and have been using it as soon as I cross the border (at which time, I turn off Roaming).

Works beautifully and better yet, our whole family of four share the App bought on one Apple iTunes account. I also have the TomTom car kit which I take along when I am renting a car out of country. And with an extension, I connect to my iPad for an even larger screen as well as the additional GPS built into the car kit. Can't beat the price all way around. 

• Reply 57 of 180
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Actually, it's not a conspiracy theory at all. Google orchestrating a PR campaign that involves manipulating the media and financing an army of astroturfers doesn't constitute a conspiracy, at least not the last time I checked the definition. It simply constitutes one company's, Google's, plan to attempt to sour the public on competitors products. This isn't uncommon at all, but Google does do it very well, just as Microsoft did for year before them, before they became irrelevant.

This all sounds highly implausible. If Google had an army of astroturfers, you'd expect at least one to go rogue and tell the press. That's how Microsoft and other companies got found out.

You have zero evidence to back this up as far as I can tell. 
  • Reply 58 of 180
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

So essentially Apple is far ahead of any other competitors when it comes to the future of mobile mapping which is vector maps.

Then you are far behind in the world of tech.

Google has had vector maps for at least two years on android.

Typical "Apple did it first" when you know nothing about the subject.

http://googlesystem.blogspot.fr/2010/12/vector-based-google-maps-for-android.html

Vector maps

Offline caching

Cache has been automatic on android for months.

http://notesofgenius.com/google-maps-offline-android/

Really in this case, Apple didn't invent a thing.

• Reply 59 of 180
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

These articles prove that for areas where the data exists and is accurate, iOS 6 maps are competitive, and will likely evolve into the category leader.  

It still doesn't change the fact however, that all you Americans doing your web reports and blogs about maps are looking at things through the wrong end of a telescope.  With few exceptions, when you step across the US border ... almost all the data is pure shit.

Fact:  Maps won't really be usable by the rest of the world for at least a year or two. 

(just as Siri is only just getting basic functionality outside of the US a full year after it's debut)  

My advice to the privileged Americans, is to stop expecting the rest of the world to agree with you that maps is great, because it just isn't and won't be for a long, long, time.  This is not some minor hiccup.  In most cases, it's the loss of almost all navigation ability for a period of years for iOS users who don't happen to be Americans. 

• Reply 60 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

...any intelligent person will realize that Apple Maps was the embodiment of skating to where the puck's going to be.

Except the data and the imagery is were the puck used to be about 5 years ago.