One year after his death, Apple shares video tribute to Steve Jobs [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Where would this industry be today without Steve Jobs?

DOS 22.0

• Reply 42 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

DOS 22.0

Knowning MS marketing, it would be DOS Vista 8 Version 22

• Reply 43 of 90

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Professional 2012.

• Reply 44 of 90
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    No disrespect to Steve, but this is not a good video.  It's trite and says more about Apple's products than it does the man himself. 

No it doesn't. It says that the company he founded and the products he made are his legacy to the world. He brought art and a humane aesthetic to what would otherwise be barren and alienating technology. He saved the world from mediocrity. His company is continuing to do so.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I'll be called insensitive and disgusting. Sadly, I know "better" than to speak my mind.
    Yeah, right!
  • Reply 46 of 90
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Oh boy, I do want to say this, though it could turn political quickly, but I think he was right in instating an income tax to pay for the war, just that it should have been REMOVED when the war was repaid.
    'Groan'...
  • Reply 47 of 90
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Thank you Steve. You inspired me.

Your Apple team is doing great and in good hands.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

No it doesn't. It says that the company he founded and the products he made are his legacy to the world. He brought art and a humane aesthetic to what would otherwise be barren and alienating technology. He saved the world from mediocrity. His company is continuing to do so.

Well since what I stated was just my opinion, I don't see how I could be wrong.

My point was only that as a tribute, it could have been a lot better than pictures of him holding up an iPod and a long litany of Apple products.  He was a very unique person who had a lot more accomplishments than just introducing the world to the freaking iPod.  It also kind of rings hollow to me in that we all know that while he had great input and also the final say on products, he didn't actually design them all himself.  That puts him in an awkward position as a guy who seems to be taking credit for others work, but he's dead and thus can't defend himself.  

IMO Steve Jobs was a lot more important than an iPod or a mouse and his contribution to the company and to the world was far more than a few consumer products we will all forget existed in a few years time.  My opinion is that this tribute lacks personality, depth, or much real feeling.  It's practically boilerplate.  

• Reply 49 of 90
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member

Man, I loved that guy and he didn't know me from Adam. I'm inspired by him every day, and my field is far, far away from microcomputing.  God bless you, Steve.

Picture taken last year, one week after his passing.

• Reply 50 of 90

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

'Groan'...

See, political. image

You don't keep paying the dealership interest once you've paid for your car.

• Reply 51 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I don't believe I've ever seen you say something positive. Not even one little thing.  Why are you in these forums if you despise everything about Apple?  I'm confused.  

Is your life so pathetic that you feel the need to join APPLEinsider to spew your pathetic comments to those of us who tend to enjoy the products and services that are provided by Apple?

I have to agree.

• Reply 52 of 90
    To the man...I tip my hat in thanks.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Like… what? The rest of the stuff is personal, and it's Apple putting out the tribute. This is the only thing that makes sense.

Exactly.  It seems like the American media has created some law that everyone who performs a job which puts them in front of the media must show/share every little aspect of their lives.  Why?  So that people can pretend that they know the person and generally treat them so bizarrely when they go out in public that it eventually drives them nuts (as happens to many celebrities)?

The public tribute was created by Apple (not his family), and so it rightfully focuses on what he contributed to the company rather than personal details.

• Reply 54 of 90

The Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites performed by Yo Yo Ma is a perfect choice. Simple, elegant.

• Reply 55 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

DOS 22.0

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Professional 2012.

You guys are getting soft...  We all know Microsoft would not make it so easy.  They'd have the following:

DOS Basic

DOS Home Basic

DOS Home Premium

DOS Professional

DOS ULTIMATE Edition

Each one would be on 200 5.25" floppy diskettes, 640K base RAM with a freakin huge Extended Memory Manager.

• Reply 56 of 90
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Well since what I stated was just my opinion, I don't see how I could be wrong.

My point was only that as a tribute, it could have been a lot better than pictures of him holding up an iPod and a long litany of Apple products.  He was a very unique person who had a lot more accomplishments than just introducing the world to the freaking iPod.  It also kind of rings hollow to me in that we all know that while he had great input and also the final say on products, he didn't actually design them all himself.  That puts him in an awkward position as a guy who seems to be taking credit for others work, but he's dead and thus can't defend himself.  

IMO Steve Jobs was a lot more important than an iPod or a mouse and his contribution to the company and to the world was far more than a few consumer products we will all forget existed in a few years time.  My opinion is that this tribute lacks personality, depth, or much real feeling.  It's practically boilerplate.  

Well, since you put in those terms, your opinion, then I'll have to say that your posting history shows recently that your opinion is worse than useless. Examples: plastic back for the iPad, electric pink for the nanos, Apple "screwing" their customers over the new dock connector. I could go on. How's the weather up in Redmond?

As for the "freaking iPod," thanks for cheaply denigrating the whole area of life that Jobs saw, and no one else did at the time, that having a thousand songs in your pocket would be transformational. It's not one of "a few consumer products we will all forget existed in a few years time." That device, which demanded an online music service to fill it, was as important as the invention of recorded music to begin with. If you don't get that, you don't get Apple, and you have no business cheapening Steve Jobs's accomplishments with your corrosive opinions.
  • Reply 57 of 90
    auxio wrote: »
    Exactly.  It seems like the American media has created some law that everyone who performs a job which puts them in front of the media must show/share every little aspect of their lives.  Why?  So that people can pretend that they know the person and generally treat them so bizarrely when they go out in public that it eventually drives them nuts (as happens to many celebrities)?

The public tribute was created by Apple (not his family), and so it rightfully focuses on what he contributed to the company rather than personal details.

I second that exactly, and add one to your comment.
  • Reply 58 of 90

Did anyone else see CultofMac's intro today?

It's one of the better things they've done in a good while.

• Reply 59 of 90
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Well, since you put in those terms, your opinion, then I'll have to say that your posting history shows recently that your opinion is worse than useless. Examples: plastic back for the iPad, electric pink for the nanos, Apple "screwing" their customers over the new dock connector. I could go on. How's the weather up in Redmond?

As for the "freaking iPod," thanks for cheaply denigrating the whole area of life that Jobs saw, and no one else did at the time, that having a thousand songs in your pocket would be transformational. It's not one of "a few consumer products we will all forget existed in a few years time." That device, which demanded an online music service to fill it, was as important as the invention of recorded music to begin with. If you don't get that, you don't get Apple, and you have no business cheapening Steve Jobs's accomplishments with your corrosive opinions.

Your just being a total asshole here for no apparent reason.  Everything we say in a forum is of course our opinion, especially on topics like this.  

Again, you seem to misunderstand what "opinion" means.  How can my opinion be useless?  It's an opinion not an argument, not a fact.  It's what I feel/think about something.  You've said some heartless and mean things in the past, but you seem like an especially nasty piece of work this morning, so I'm muting you forever.  While you may not like my opinion of this video, in fact, you are the one doing all the nasty ranting today.  

I suggest you mute me also and the world can spin on as usual without all this foulness you are inflicting on me just for having a contrary opinion to yours.  

Goodbye forever Mme./Ms/Monsieur "Flaneur."  It hasn't been nice knowing you. ;)

• Reply 60 of 90

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

How can my opinion be useless?

As an example, overarching any and all topics, when the opinion contradicts objective fact.