Apple improving 3D Flyover visuals in iOS 6 Maps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This week Apple began quietly enhancing the 3D Flyover feature of its new iOS 6 Maps application, giving users updated images with more accurate recreations.

Flyover 1
Left, the old view of the Brooklyn Bridge in iOS 6 Maps. Right, an updated render.

In one example highlighted to AppleInsider by reader Sal, the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City is now accurately rendered in three dimensions. Previously, the bridge shown in a distorted fashion.

The Flyover improvements were not immediately available to all users, as some devices were still shown the older data. For example, one reader said updated images were appearing on their iPhone, but not their iPad.

The behind-the-scenes improvements being made by Apple come after its new mapping application in iOS 6 has received considerable criticism for being inferior to Google Maps, which previously provided mapping data for Apple's iOS devices.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook even publicly apologized to customers for the quality of the Maps application in iOS 6 in a statement issued last month. He also vowed that the company was "doing everything we can to make Maps better."

Flyover 2
Top, the Brooklyn Bridge was previously distorted in iOS 6 Maps. Bottom, it has been updated.

3D Flyovers are one of the hallmark features of Apple's iOS 6 Maps, combining overhead images with three-dimensional geometry to allow users to view and interact with major cities in new and unique ways. But the 3D mapping data also has considerable flaws that led to distorted views of major landmarks like the Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Hoover Dam and other sites.

As Apple has caught flak for iOS 6 Maps, Google has not sat by idly. The company recently introduced new satellite imagery taken at a 45-degree angle to better compete with Flyover, while Google also made its popular Street View feature available in the Safari Web browser on iPhone and iPad.

Google is also said to be working on a standalone Google Maps application that would be made available for download in the iOS App Store. However, that software is not expected to arrive until later this year at the earliest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

BREAKING: What we knew was going to happen and that which has been happening since Beta 1 is continuing to happen.

BREAKERINGLY BREAKING: Google's shaking in their 360 degree boots.

• Reply 2 of 104
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Good to see AI call Street View "popular" rather than a troll tool. :lol:
  • Reply 3 of 104

My Brooklyn Bridge is still all screwed up. However changes like these were expected with time, no big surprise. Hopefully updates come frequently.

• Reply 4 of 104
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member

Yeah good, at least this confirms it.  I noticed improvements yesterday and wondered why no one was posting on it.  But seriously.. they should have looked this way at launch.  

• Reply 5 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Interestingly, I typed "Statue of Liberty" into Maps and got... no results. They need to make sure national monuments, at the very least, yield some kind of result.
  • Reply 6 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    AI, you forgot to add "Finally" to the headline.

/s
  • Reply 7 of 104

How do I get the little buildings (Flyover) to show.  All my i4S shows is the 3D.  Is flyover only for i5?

• Reply 8 of 104
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google has not sat by idly. The company recently introduced new satellite imagery taken at a 45-degree angle to better compete with Flyover...

I thought you guys got the message in the last article you posted about 45 degree.

IT'S NOT A NEW FEATURE!!!

YOU ARE SPINNING THIS TO MAKE FLYOVER LOOK LIKE IT'S SOME HUGE INNOVATION WHEN IT'S REALLY NOT.

45 DEGREE HAS BEEN OUT FOR AT LEAST A YEAR, IF NOT MORE

IT WAS SPECULATED TO COMPETE WITH BING'S "BIRD'S EYE VIEW".  IT WAS IMPLEMENTED AT LEAST A YEAR AGO IF NOT MUCH LONGER.

• Reply 9 of 104
    What's wrong with the top left picture?
    Isn't this Dalì's famous melting bridge?
  • Reply 10 of 104
    Spamsandwich, I get a pin dropped on it when I do the same.

• Reply 11 of 104
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I thought you guys got the message in the last article you posted about 45 degree.

IT'S NOT A NEW FEATURE!!!

YOU ARE SPINNING THIS TO MAKE FLYOVER LOOK LIKE IT'S SOME HUGE INNOVATION WHEN IT'S REALLY NOT.

45 DEGREE HAS BEEN OUT FOR AT LEAST A YEAR, IF NOT MORE

IT WAS SPECULATED TO COMPETE WITH BING'S "BIRD'S EYE VIEW".  IT WAS IMPLEMENTED AT LEAST A YEAR AGO IF NOT MUCH LONGER.

Also, Google Earth had 3D Flyover technology many years ago...for about a year now, maps.google.com desktop version offers a similar feature and a tab called "Earth" that turned the maps browser into the full Google Earth 3D browser.

• Reply 12 of 104
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Interestingly, I typed "Statue of Liberty" into Maps and got... no results. They need to make sure national monuments, at the very least, yield some kind of result.

Hmm. This works for me.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    Looks like Independence Hall in Philadelphia has been straightened too! Thanks Apple!
  • Reply 14 of 104

AN OPEN LETTER TO TIM COOK

Dear Mr. Cook,

I am a long time user of Apple products and while I acknowledge there have been occasional missteps by Apple in the past, they have usually quickly been rectified. I assume the very same approach will be taken with Apple's Maps, however, I have an idea that you may freely use that I believe will both quickly help build out the capabilities of Apple's Maps service and engage the Apple community.

The idea is simply to leverage the vast army of Apple devotees who own iPhones and 3G/LTE iPads to "fill in" missing data in Apple's Maps database.

If Apple would provide to users who are willing to sign up for a special promotional program a "heat map" of the locations that are missing ground-level data that is needed, perhaps users would be willing to provide to Apple Panoramic imagery using their iOS devices. Our iPhones and iPads already have built-in some of the best location and positioning sensors available (short of an aircraft using LIDAR) in a consumer computing device, and for a small consideration---possibly credits for the App Store, or something not too unreasonable---WE could provide the "street level" data that is missing that could be used for expanding the capabilities of the Maps app and bring the fun aspects of geo-caching to the masses.

I'd recommend a short online training session on Apple.com and for all participants to sign off on all the usual legal agreements so pictures and ground-based mapping data acquired would properly belong to Apple.

Please consider using all of the brilliant tools at your disposal to make Maps better. Including a massive, loyal user base.

Thank you.

• Reply 15 of 104
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    parts of it still broken. jump in to the north bank of the bridge. You can see yellow "tape" on the river bank road to go up to the bridge when it is supposed to go under the bridge.
  • Reply 16 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Also, Google Earth had 3D Flyover technology many years ago...for about a year now, maps.google.com desktop version offers a similar feature and a tab called "Earth" that turned the maps browser into the full Google Earth 3D browser.

Do you really want to compare that to Flyover?

• Reply 17 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by markm929 View Post

How do I get the little buildings (Flyover) to show.  All my i4S shows is the 3D.  Is flyover only for i5?

Flip it into Satellite view while still in 3D view.

• Reply 18 of 104
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Wait I liked driving on the brooklyn bridge before they fixed it.  The sudden drop in altitude and being so close to the water.  WHY?  Put it back!!!!

• Reply 19 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Spamsandwich, I get a pin dropped on it when I do the same.

How weird... I just repeated the experiment and now it works.

I wonder if the data hadn't yet populated my area's data center...?

• Reply 20 of 104
    the statue of liberty has been fixed too. I live in CA so when I typed Statue of Liberty, I got no result. But when I panned out to see the entire US then searched, it found it in NY.