Apple improving 3D Flyover visuals in iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

statue of liberty is fixed for me but brooklyn bridge is not fixed for me yet.

• Reply 22 of 104
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Look at Google maps of the bridge.  You will see a break in the bridge as if it is broken off.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Also, Google Earth had 3D Flyover technology many years ago...for about a year now, maps.google.com desktop version offers a similar feature and a tab called "Earth" that turned the maps browser into the full Google Earth 3D browser.

No, it didn’t, and still doesn't. Neither 45-degree view nor Google Earth (even with a few 3D building models tacked on) are the same as FlyOver. Google IS working on something like FlyOver, as are others. But 45 degree view and Google Earth terrain and Google's long-time “3D buildings” thing are NOT it. Those are lesser, older methods that simply can’t do the same thing. They have the word “3D” in them, but they are not the same.

Now, FlyOver currently does nothing for most of the Earth! Google Earth at least does something everywhere (more fun than useful, but I’m a big fan). I don’t live in one of the cities included in FlyOver so far. But FlyOver coverage is growing.

Who will get there first? (Truly widespread coverage of high-detail 3D—not just terrain.) Who will do it best? One or both of those will be Apple, I suspect.

• Reply 24 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

...Now, FlyOver currently does nothing for most of the Earth! Google Earth at least does something everywhere (more fun than useful, but I’m a big fan). I don’t live in one of the cities included in FlyOver so far. But FlyOver coverage is growing.

Who will get there first? (Truly widespread coverage of high-detail 3D—not just terrain.) Who will do it best? One or both of those will be Apple, I suspect.

It's all about having a roving fleet of aircraft, or drones, constantly patrolling the skies. Perhaps one day they'll be able to do it using helicopters and smaller, cheaper drones continuously providing updated imagery and scan data.

Considering Apple could buy Google several times over, I wonder why they haven't purchased their own fleet of Apple aerial vehicles.

• Reply 25 of 104
    I told you so... give them a year, they will make it even better then Google Maps! :D
  • Reply 26 of 104
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

No, it didn’t, and still doesn't. Neither 45-degree view nor Google Earth (even with a few 3D building models tacked on) are the same as FlyOver. Google IS working on something like FlyOver, as are others. But 45 degree view and Google Earth terrain and Google's long-time “3D buildings” thing are NOT it. Those are lesser, older methods that simply can’t do the same thing. They have the word “3D” in them, but they are not the same.

Now, FlyOver currently does nothing for most of the Earth! Google Earth at least does something everywhere (more fun than useful, but I’m a big fan). I don’t live in one of the cities included in FlyOver so far. But FlyOver coverage is growing.

Different strokes for all, but personally I don't see a particular need for either a 45 degree or "Flyover" view if you have both satellite view and Streetview available. Unless you're landing an aircraft I'm not sure what that additional view reveals that's significantly beneficial?

• Reply 27 of 104
    Yay! Apple's rebuilding the Brooklyn Bridge. Now I can cross it without worry of it collapsing.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Considering Apple could buy Google several times over, I wonder why they haven't purchased their own fleet of Apple aerial vehicles.

Google's market cap is a tad over $250 Billion. That's a big pill to swallow even for Apple. As for why Apple hasn't invested a few billion in a fleet of aircraft and land vehicles to hurry along their map project I don't personally think it's as important to Apple as it is to Google. I also think that Apple may believe (or did) that mapping can be dealt with by technology and software rather than needing boots on the ground.

• Reply 29 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google's market cap is a tad over $250 Billion. That's a big pill to swallow even for Apple.

I'm not suggesting Apple buy Google. I'm suggesting they buy their own fleet of aerial vehicles that could be dispatched regularly to acquire the high-resolution LIDAR data they need to create the nifty FlyOver map views.

• Reply 30 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Yay! Apple's rebuilding the Brooklyn Bridge. Now I can cross it without worry of it collapsing.

Are you interested in buying it?

• Reply 31 of 104

Way to go Apple, that was quick.

That should finally shut up those troll trapdoors.

• Reply 32 of 104
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Yeah, thanks a lot Apple, but I will NEVER get back the week I spent frantically searching the internet to find reports of just how badly Apple had faltered on the whole Maps thing. 

• Reply 33 of 104
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

...  Now, FlyOver currently does nothing for most of the Earth! Google Earth at least does something everywhere (more fun than useful, but I’m a big fan). ...

To be fair, while flyover isn't available in most places and the satellite imagery is poor in a few places, iOS 6 maps with 3D and satellite imagery turned on is very similar to Google earth.  The elevation data is all there and you can do things like zoom around in the rocky mountains and so on.  It's only when you get to the cities that you see a real difference. 

• Reply 34 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

While looking around NYC in 3D mode just now I noticed they might need to fix up the FDR a little bit. There a number of buildings that are located right on top of the highway for example.

• Reply 35 of 104
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    MAPS keeps a lot of data for offline usage. The older distorted images are a carry over of that older data.

Anyone know how to reset that?

For the bridge itself I wonder if being on the border between "3D" Brooklyn and the Flyover enhanced Manhattan causes an issue?
  • Reply 36 of 104
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    MAPS keeps a lot of data for offline usage. The older distorted images are a carry over of that older data.

Anyone know how to reset that?

For the bridge itself I wonder if being on the border between "3D" Brooklyn and the Flyover enhanced Manhattan causes an issue?
  • Reply 37 of 104
    It's still messed up for me, and it's not cached, at least on my phone, since I have not visited that area before.

All it is is a satellite view mapped onto the height field data (which does show how crude the height field data really is)
  • Reply 38 of 104

I'm going to spend every day for a year and find something on Apple Maps that's wrong. I will report everything I find back on AI forums. If there is a painted yellow line inches out, dammit, I'll report it. I definitely won't be doing the same thing for Google Maps because as everyone knows, Google Maps is absolutely perfect. My only worry is that Apple Maps will be far superior to Google Maps in a year with Apple continually improving it. Hey at least we'll have a year to bash them!!

• Reply 39 of 104
    Nope, the Brooklyn Bridge still broke for me on the iPad 3. Statue of Liberty search works for me, just not in 3D.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

While looking around NYC in 3D mode just now I noticed they might need to fix up the FDR a little bit. There a number of buildings that are located right on top of the highway for example.

Maybe you should call the UN about that and see if they'll move them.