Microsoft adds Retina display support to Office for Mac 2011

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23

I found the solution in a comment on 9to5 Mac. 

In the Finder, duplicate Word (or Excel or PowerPoint). If you want, you can double check the info on the duplicated copy, and you will see that the "Open in Low Resolution" is no longer checked and no longer grayed out.

Then delete the original file, rename the copy by removing the word copy, and you're good to go. Documents will now appear in retina display as they should.

It seems to me odd that Microsoft would release an update for retina displays and leave the apps set to launch in low resolution that couldn't be changed under normal procedures.

• Reply 22 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

As far as I can tell, retina support isn't implemented to a significant degree. In particular, text still has jaggies. Of lesser importance, gallery images are still lo-res/blurry.

It works just fine for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianld View Post

Agree with cpsro ... I don't see the Retina support taking effect after installing the update.

I opened up the same doc using the updated Word and the "old" one. Very noticeable diff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmansfield View Post

Take the same document and put it in Word and Pages at 200% side by side. If Word has been updated for retina displays, I'm a monkey's uncle.

You're undoubtedly a monkey's uncle.

• Reply 23 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmansfield View Post

I found the solution in a comment on 9to5 Mac. 

In the Finder, duplicate Word (or Excel or PowerPoint). If you want, you can double check the info on the duplicated copy, and you will see that the "Open in Low Resolution" is no longer checked and no longer grayed out.

Then delete the original file, rename the copy by removing the word copy, and you're good to go. Documents will now appear in retina display as they should.

It seems to me odd that Microsoft would release an update for retina displays and leave the apps set to launch in low resolution that couldn't be changed under normal procedures.

I think those instructions are for rigging the old version of Office to display in high res. You don't need to do this for the updated version.