Foxconn workers reportedly strike over iPhone 5 quality control rules, say handset design is flawed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It'll be a great day when machines could assemble an iPhone or Apple device without any human intervention whatsoever.

Foxconn could then fire one million Chinese workers, and nobody would ever have to complain about any "slave labor" or working conditions ever again. 

Keep dreaming.

BTW, if you think the Chinese workers are already getting enough training, you must be smoking pretty heavily. People like you keep thinking those workers are just greedy or lazy bastards trying to blame others. You should go and work there for a month and you'll know the kind of work needs to be done to meet these standards.

• Reply 22 of 142
    muppetry wrote: »
    Beating the managers for a change. That must be communism at work.

I read that differently, the way I read it was the managers beat the workers in some cases, sort of like "shut up you, get back to work"
  • Reply 23 of 142

I am taking the side of the Foxconn workers on this one.  First, they are paid shit wages and I don't care that they work and live in China and that's the norm over there.  The profit margins for any iDevice let alone the iPhone are more than sufficient that Apple can and should be paying more given the stringent QC needed.  This of course should mean the QC should be met if you are going to be paid more.

This also brings up the fact that this design may not be the best fit for the materials.  Its time to design something that is more fluid and allows for better grip and feel in the hand instead of the hard, cold edges they are so fond of.  Look at the evolution of the iPhone to iPhone 5, From curves to structural aluminum and glass.

I happen to like my iP5 64GB Black (Only one itsy bitsy nick on the beveled edge) but if they had not gone anodized aluminum this time around the nicks and chips wouldn't show up on the black model so easily.  This is a design flaw and a let down in the Designed in Cupertino QC.

• Reply 24 of 142
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is funny but the glass iPhone 4 series never generated such excitement. Wait is I think expectations are a little high.

By the way does anybody notice the lack of logic in this article. If suppliers where actually having problems delivering parts Foxconn wouldn't be staffing their plants with overtime and holiday work.
  • Reply 25 of 142
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It was reported on Friday that three to four thousand Foxconn workers at the company's Zhengzhou factory went on strike over a rise in quality control demands for the iPhone 5, with the employees saying the new demands are difficult to meet given the handset's design flaws. ...

Translation:  Workers are being told to be more careful with the phone and stop causing the nicks and scratches and they don't like it. 

I must admit I don't have a lot of sympathy for them since 3 out of 5 iPhones I've purchased has had some kind of manufactures defect. They seem to be arguing that they do good work but it's the "flaws" of the design that are the problem.  My experience with my phones (admittedly a minuscule data point), says the exact opposite.  

• Reply 26 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

I am taking the side of the Foxconn workers on this one.  First, they are paid shit wages and I don't care that they work and live in China and that's the norm over there.  ...

You lost me right there.  The have above average wages actually, and it *does* matter that the norm is different over there.  That's kind of how you determine if they are "shit wages" or not right? 

• Reply 27 of 142
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Is the casing what AI is referring to as "design flaws"? it's a strange article.

• Reply 28 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

Colonel Klink of Stalag 15 would never let it happen

Stalag 13.  

You know nothing! Noth-thing!

• Reply 29 of 142
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    "shut up you, get back to work"

Very stereotypical, but my thoughts exactly. Ha.
  • Reply 30 of 142
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Re the strike: if they’re not getting necessary procedures and training, than they AND Apple have a problem with Foxconn!

Re iPhone scratches: no, they shouldn’t come scratched from the factory, but do the zillion plastic-and-paint phones that everyone else is churning out somehow resist impacts with hard objects? (And do they ever arrive with the paint scuffed out of the box?) No phone ever will be "scratch proof." Even a diamond can be cut, chipped, and yes, scratched.

• Reply 31 of 142

It's unfortunate that too many Apple consumers think the ends justifies the means....

• Reply 32 of 142
    Fights on the floor? This sounds like the movie Roadhouse. The only things it's missing is Swayze to cool things down.
  • Reply 33 of 142

To which holidays is the article referring?  Chinese people don't celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas to the extent they are in the West, nor are they public holidays.  This makes me doubt the validity of the article in general.  

• Reply 34 of 142
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

It's unfortunate that too many Apple consumers think the ends justifies the means....

It's unfortunate that you think what you're thinking about this.

• Reply 35 of 142

China is on holiday all the days of this week.

• Reply 36 of 142
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Beating the managers for a change. That must be communism at work.

I read that differently, the way I read it was the managers beat the workers in some cases, sort of like "shut up you, get back to work"

I'm sure that's what it meant, but that's not what it said.

• Reply 37 of 142
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member

I suspect that this issue was WELL known by Apple before the first iphone 5 arrived in a customer's hands.  When I picked up my IP5 early on day one at the ATT store, the salesman took mine out of the box and visually inspected it from all angles, particularly the beveled edges.  At the time, I thought he was being conscientious but in hind sight, I now believe that they had been instructed beforehand to do a thorough visual inspection before handing any IP5 to a customer.  I spotted the other ATT salespeople doing the same routine. I can say that mine was pristine out of the box and immediately went into a gel case to keep it that way, but that has been my routine with all my iphones (owned each gen and purchased each on day one).  I have to say that I was a bit surprised that Apple did NOT go with a polished bevel edge on the black model (ie like they did on the white) as that would have been very sharp in appearance and at the same time less vulnerable to showing minor abrasion to that edge.

• Reply 38 of 142
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Your point of view is totally out of whack with reality. I really hope you are not registered to vote!
    raptoroo7 wrote: »
    I am taking the side of the Foxconn workers on this one.  First, they are paid shit wages and I don't care that they work and live in China and that's the norm over there.  
    First off they are paid very good wages. That is why the Chinese line up by the thousands to apply for openings there.
    The profit margins for any iDevice let alone the iPhone are more than sufficient that Apple can and should be paying more given the stringent QC needed.  This of course should mean the QC should be met if you are going to be paid more.
    What does quality control have to do with ones pay rate? You either do the job to the standard you where hired for or you don't. If you don't you give up your job eventually to somebody that can.

Think about this if you hire a welder to weld up some pipe and those welds leak afterward would you accept the welder saying "well geez you didn't pay me enough for leak free welds". Either you agree to do the job you elected to do or you are a sleazy scum bag that can't live up to his commitments.

This also brings up the fact that this design may not be the best fit for the materials.  Its time to design something that is more fluid and allows for better grip and feel in the hand instead of the hard, cold edges they are so fond of.  Look at the evolution of the iPhone to iPhone 5, From curves to structural aluminum and glass.
    OK what is the problem with iPhone 4, I'm using one right now to respond to the nonsense you have posted here. No design is perfect but do realize that in the case of iPhone form follows function. It is shaped the way it is for maximum utilization of a given amount of space.
    I happen to like my iP5 64GB Black (Only one itsy bitsy nick on the beveled edge) but if they had not gone anodized aluminum this time around the nicks and chips wouldn't show up on the black model so easily.  This is a design flaw and a let down in the Designed in Cupertino QC.

Don't be a total ass!!!!! Really guy if the paint gets chipped on your car is it a design flaw? How about on your fridge? How about the kitchen table? Apparently in this new America we are experiencing anything that doesn't live up to someone's personal evaluation is some how a design flaw. Let me throw out this consideration, you bought the device now live with it. Nothing in this world is perfect, not your car, not your iPhone and certainly not the space shuttle. It is a certain detachment from reality to run around believing that anything can be made perfect.
  • Reply 39 of 142
    Is anyone else put off by the writing in this article? Since when do people in China want to take off for Christmas? And who, exactly, is beating the Foxconn management? You'd think they'd be fired for that. How dependable is this report, anyway?
  • Reply 40 of 142
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That may be true, and I don't have a case on my 5 yet, but it seems rather impractical then. A phone should be beautiful and durable. It probably gets tossed around the most in a day of anything you own by the nature of life.

I don't use a case. I've got a Sena leather sleeve. When the phone is in use or just on display, it's either in my hands or on top of the sleeve. But that's neither here nor there. 

The iPhone has *always* used materials that prefer gentler handling. Always. And consumers have been more than ok with this.