Foxconn workers reportedly strike over iPhone 5 quality control rules, say handset design is flawed

135678

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 142
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Give them an extra biscuit?
  • Reply 42 of 142
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post


    To which holidays is the article referring?  Chinese people don't celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas to the extent they are in the West, nor are they public holidays.  This makes me doubt the validity of the article in general.  



    Commies don't celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas? No kidding.


     


    There is something called National Day, which is Oct 1 - 7, which is a major public holiday.

  • Reply 43 of 142
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by droslovinia View Post



    Is anyone else put off by the writing in this article? Since when do people in China want to take off for Christmas? And who, exactly, is beating the Foxconn management? You'd think they'd be fired for that. How dependable is this report, anyway?


     


     


    Good eye.  ;)

  • Reply 44 of 142


    "...given the handset's design flaws."


     


    Design flaws?  Quality control is put in place to MEET expectations and / or requirements.  The world has gone mad!  Yeesh!

     

  • Reply 45 of 142
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Maybe FoxConn could hire some American Airlines pilots for quality control?

  • Reply 46 of 142
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post


    I am taking the side of the Foxconn workers on this one.  First, they are paid shit wages and I don't care that they work and live in China and that's the norm over there.  The profit margins for any iDevice let alone the iPhone are more than sufficient that Apple can and should be paying more given the stringent QC needed.  This of course should mean the QC should be met if you are going to be paid more.


     


    This also brings up the fact that this design may not be the best fit for the materials.  Its time to design something that is more fluid and allows for better grip and feel in the hand instead of the hard, cold edges they are so fond of.  Look at the evolution of the iPhone to iPhone 5, From curves to structural aluminum and glass.


     


    I happen to like my iP5 64GB Black (Only one itsy bitsy nick on the beveled edge) but if they had not gone anodized aluminum this time around the nicks and chips wouldn't show up on the black model so easily.  This is a design flaw and a let down in the Designed in Cupertino QC.



    Why aren't you complaining about Exxon paying their gas station clerks more than minimum wage since they make billions of dollars?

  • Reply 47 of 142
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member


    When they start making the iPhone 6 from the liquid metal alloy Apple invested hundreds of millions of dollars in for exclusive rights, customers won't be complaining about scratches any more.


     


    They will be complaining about splashes.

  • Reply 48 of 142
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

    When they start making the iPhone 6 from the liquid metal alloy Apple invested hundreds of millions of dollars in for exclusive rights, customers won't be complaining about scratches any more.


     


    That's the 8th iPhone. You mean the iPhone 5S, which is the 7th iPhone, unless you don't think the next one will have a case change.

  • Reply 49 of 142
    mac-usermac-user Posts: 110member


    design flaw...

  • Reply 50 of 142
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    mac-user wrote: »
    design flaw...
    LL

    Put a case on that puppy when you wear it?
  • Reply 51 of 142


    Got mine last Friday (thank you for telling of the order online & pickup in the store - saved me 3-4 weeks of waiting on pre-order) and mine was flawless in perfect condition. Waiting for my case to arrive to keep it protected. 


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by droslovinia View Post



    Is anyone else put off by the writing in this article? Since when do people in China want to take off for Christmas? And who, exactly, is beating the Foxconn management? You'd think they'd be fired for that. How dependable is this report, anyway?


     


    Been to China many times and have friends there, the people I know never talk of expecting time off for Christmas. Most don't celebrate it or if they do it's more just for fun and something to do, not for serious. China takes off 1-2 weeks for Chinese New Year in every February, so I doubt many expect off for Xmas... maybe since these people work for a Western company, but even then they still get a lot of their own lengthy holidays. They just had a full week off for their National Day. They get days off for many holidays while in the US we mostly get only one.

  • Reply 52 of 142
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153168/foxconn-workers-reportedly-strike-over-iphone-5-quality-control-rules-say-handset-design-is-flawed#post_2206011"]If they don't like it, then they can quit.

    They are assembling Apple products, not cheap, Android junk, and they are expected to meet certain quality control demands.

    Those workers who are not up to par should immediately be fired and replaced with more capable workers.
    Zz
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153168/foxconn-workers-reportedly-strike-over-iphone-5-quality-control-rules-say-handset-design-is-flawed#post_2206032"]It'll be a great day when machines could assemble an iPhone or Apple device without any human intervention whatsoever.

    Foxconn could then fire one million Chinese workers, and nobody would ever have to complain about any "slave labor" or working conditions ever again. 

    Oh Jeez, what a ludicrous display of a rather retrograde and sad mentality... What is your work again, if any?
  • Reply 53 of 142
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Not to minimize what may or may not be a legit concern for the workers, but it could also simply be that the workers have learned that if they complain loud enough that it makes it into the Western press and appears to threaten the supply of iPhones (god forbid someone has to wait a few days to get one!), that Apple will show up at the factory which might result in better working conditions and a pay raise. After all, that's what has happened a few times already. Learn how the system works and then use it to your advantage.
  • Reply 54 of 142
    Not meaning to sound mean about the situation, but exactly where in this is it Apple's problem? Apple contracted Foxconn to build and manufacture the iPhone 5 with a set of specific requirements and designs. If the workers are upset with that, then it is Foxconn's responsibility to fix it, after all, those people are their responsibility (i.e. their employees).

    To put this into some amount of perspective, the companies that manufacture cereal (lets say ACME Cereal Packaging) and package it for Kellogs (for example). If those workers go on strike because Kellogs changed their requirements for 2.5 scoops of raisins (versus 2), is it Kellogs responsibility to pay them extra, or is it ACME's responsibility since those employees are being paid by ACME? I would say it is ACME's responsibility, and not Kellogs. Just like it is Foxconn's responsibility about their employees, and not Apple's. After all, Apple is the customer in this scenario.
  • Reply 55 of 142
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    I really dislike your waywards ways, Apple][. Because you were born in a rich country and you're an Apple Stock Owner, you make horrible, inhuman statements regularly.

    I don't know the situation there. Probably, Apple has ensured that the best possible work conditions exist for workers and this is just journalistic exaggeration.

    However "If they don't like it, then they can quit. They are assembling Apple products, not cheap, Android junk, and they are expected to meet certain quality control demands. Those workers who are not up to par should immediately be fired and replaced with more capable workers." is the just the type of phrase that let me seriously wish the government would make a nice little law to strip you of everything you own (or even better, some big business ruin you, swindle you of your "hard earned" money [note that I have no idea if you worked hard, or not, and I'm not judging that part] without you having the slightest chance to save yourself, otherwise it would be to easy...). Or in an ideal world, you should be teleported into the body of one of these workers.

    But then again, you're the very proof that this world is imperfect. If at least they'd lock you up in a room with only Nokia Winphones for all eternity...
  • Reply 56 of 142
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    It'll be a great day when machines could assemble an iPhone or Apple device without any human intervention whatsoever.


     


    Foxconn could then fire one million Chinese workers, and nobody would ever have to complain about any "slave labor" or working conditions ever again. 



     


    Funny, some potential future customer of iRobot is thinking exactly the same thing you and your co-workers.....  ...and not just for assembly-line jobs....


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post





    I read that differently, the way I read it was the managers beat the workers in some cases, sort of like "shut up you, get back to work"


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


     


    I'm sure that's what it meant, but that's not what it said.





    Yes it is:  "Following the incident, another fight broke out in the same area with inspectors once again being "beat up...."

  • Reply 57 of 142
    I think management is the issue here.

    Anyway, why do people add /s to the end of their comments?
  • Reply 58 of 142
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,516member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post


    A phone should be beautiful and durable.



     


    Well, I'll agree that a phone should be durable, at least from a functional standpoint.  But very few phones even start out "beautiful", let alone stay that way.  Nobody should expect a device used so frequently to maintain a pristine state.  Heck, it is only the beauty of the iPhone itself that invites the additional scrutiny.  Those other POS phones get scratched too, but nobody raises a snicker.


     


    For anyone that is concerned about maintaining a pristine iPhone, do what most people do:  get a low profile case that maintains the sleekness, lightness, and still lets you see the sexy back.  (Such as a bumper, which some companies are now providing for the five.)


     


    Thompson

  • Reply 59 of 142
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post



    I really dislike your waywards ways, Apple][. Because you were born in a rich country and you're an Apple Stock Owner, you make horrible, inhuman statements regularly.

    I don't know the situation there. Probably, Apple has ensured that the best possible work conditions exist for workers and this is just journalistic exaggeration.

    However "If they don't like it, then they can quit. They are assembling Apple products, not cheap, Android junk, and they are expected to meet certain quality control demands. Those workers who are not up to par should immediately be fired and replaced with more capable workers." is the just the type of phrase that let me seriously wish the government would make a nice little law to strip you of everything you own (or even better, some big business ruin you, swindle you of your "hard earned" money [note that I have no idea if you worked hard, or not, and I'm not judging that part] without you having the slightest chance to save yourself, otherwise it would be to easy...). Or in an ideal world, you should be teleported into the body of one of these workers.

    But then again, you're the very proof that this world is imperfect. If at least they'd lock you up in a room with only Nokia Winphones for all eternity...


     


    So if somebody is American, they shouldn't be allowed to comment on anything? image


     


    And god forbid if they also happen to own a few shares of AAPL. image  


     


    My viewpoints and principles do not change, regardless of which country I might find myself in. It's interesting to note that my viewpoints basically favor freedom, free business and free will (they can quit if they don't like it), while those who criticize me, such as yourself, hopes for some communist government or dictatorship to come and take away whatever I have earned.image Chinese workers are China's problem, and I don't really care for communist governments.


     


    If only the world had more people like me, then it would be a more perfect and better place.

  • Reply 60 of 142
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The iPhone5 is a beautiful thing, but having a small pocketable device constructed almost entirely from a relatively soft material like aluminum was asking for trouble! Maybe a solution for the scuffing/denting issues is a PVD/CLD coating for the black version and clear-coating for the silver version. Hopefully iPhone6 will be constructed from something like liquidmetal!
Sign In or Register to comment.