Foxconn workers reportedly strike over iPhone 5 quality control rules, say handset design is flawed

Comments

• Reply 81 of 142
    jmc54 wrote: »
    /s=Sarcasm
    <div id="user_myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

Actually, /s = end of sarcasm.
  • Reply 82 of 142
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Late word out of China today is that one of the factory workers, Ji Ma Ho Fah, has decided to organize a workers union at the the FoxConn factory.

• Reply 83 of 142
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I really dislike your waywards ways, Apple][. Because you were born in a rich country and you're an Apple Stock Owner, you make horrible, inhuman statements regularly.
    I don't know the situation there. Probably, Apple has ensured that the best possible work conditions exist for workers and this is just journalistic exaggeration.
    However "If they don't like it, then they can quit. They are assembling Apple products, not cheap, Android junk, and they are expected to meet certain quality control demands. Those workers who are not up to par should immediately be fired and replaced with more capable workers." is the just the type of phrase that let me seriously wish the government would make a nice little law to strip you of everything you own (or even better, some big business ruin you, swindle you of your "hard earned" money [note that I have no idea if you worked hard, or not, and I'm not judging that part] without you having the slightest chance to save yourself, otherwise it would be to easy...). Or in an ideal world, you should be teleported into the body of one of these workers.
    But then again, you're the very proof that this world is imperfect. If at least they'd lock you up in a room with only Nokia Winphones for all eternity...

I agree with you, but keep in mind that he's acting, not really that ignorant and pigheaded. (Sorry, pigs, I should say boneheaded.)

As his fellow troll-for-hire ConradJoe pointed out a long time ago, he's paid to poke holes here in the common perception that Apple people are enlightened progressives. (Some are, some aren't.) His job is to stink up the discussion whenever a political or social issue comes up and make sure the lowest redneck/peckerwood view gets presented.

How do I know this? I've been in the U.S. a long time, paying attention to what people say and how they say it. I have never met anyone in the U.S. who is this violently bigoted who could spell correctly, which he does. He's a lot smarter than he pretends to be, in other words. He is a stylistic impossibility. Hunter Thompson would see right through him. So would Thomas Pynchon.

So don't judge Americans by this level of ignorance. It ain't real. We can't be so bad that it would show up on the best Apple fan site. Maybe at the Legion hall, but not here.
  • Reply 84 of 142
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I agree with you, but keep in mind that he's acting, not really that ignorant and pigheaded. (Sorry, pigs, I should say boneheaded.)

As his fellow troll-for-hire ConradJoe pointed out a long time ago, he's paid to poke holes here in the common perception that Apple people are enlightened progressives. (Some are, some aren't.) His job is to stink up the discussion whenever a political or social issue comes up and make sure the lowest redneck/peckerwood view gets presented.

How do I know this? I've been in the U.S. a long time, paying attention to what people say and how they say it. I have never met anyone in the U.S. who is this violently bigoted who could spell correctly, which he does. He's a lot smarter than he pretends to be, in other words. He is a stylistic impossibility. Hunter Thompson would see right through him. So would Thomas Pynchon.

So don't judge Americans by this level of ignorance. It ain't real. We can't be so bad that it would show up on the best Apple fan site. Maybe at the Legion hall, but not here.

"enlightened progressives" is an oxymoron...

thanks for living in the USA for a long time and passing judgement on others.  the line about "I have not met anyone in the US who is the violently bigoted who could spell correctly"   made me fall out of my chair laughing.  omnipotent are we?   bad spelling = bigot?   

There is fear and loathing at the FoxConn factory,  and Hunter Thompson would have thrown up on you and then passed out.  

• Reply 85 of 142
    msimpson wrote: »
    "enlightened progressives" is an oxymoron...

thanks for living in the USA for a long time and passing judgement on others.  the line about "I have not met anyone in the US who is the violently bigoted who could spell correctly"   made me fall out of my chair laughing.  omnipotent are we?   bad spelling = bigot?   

There is fear and loathing at the FoxConn factory,  and Hunter Thompson would have thrown up on you and then passed out.  

So you prove my case about the spelling. But you are for real, Apple 2 isn't.
  • Reply 86 of 142
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Well, the "QC" didn't work too well for my phone which had a scratch on the edge coming out of the box. Still, I figured it would get more with age so I didn't care much.

Was your iphone delivered to you. Because if it was the issue could be handling by the delivery service. 

I'm certain that every iphone 5 is inspected several times before it is boxed to make sure there are no scratches etc. Probably has been that way since day one. Any issue would come after it left the production line. Either the trucks out of Foxconn, the plane from China or FedEX etc being their usual careless selves. 

And i'm certainly not going to take the word of a biased group conversing with a known Anti Apple website as proof of anything. 

• Reply 87 of 142
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Workers are there to perform a job. Apple or Foxconn is smart enough to train these workers where appropriate. As for Foxconn employees complaint, this is nothing new and just an excuse
  • Reply 88 of 142
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Workers are there to perform a job. Apple or Foxconn is smart enough to train these workers where appropriate. As for Foxconn employees complaint, this is nothing new and just an excuse
  • Reply 89 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

They're requesting for training. They don't mind doing the work, but when they're not properly trained and they're returning products back that seem to be in good condition, the other workers get pissed at them because they're adding more work to them.

You really think that Apple, with its quality control so high that they have refunded out of warranty repairs for failed hard drives etc would let anyone on a product line without training. That they don't have rules about proper training in their contracts etc. 

• Reply 90 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

I am taking the side of the Foxconn workers on this one.  First, they are paid shit wages and I don't care that they work and live in China and that's the norm over there.  The profit margins for any iDevice let alone the iPhone are more than sufficient that Apple can and should be paying more given the stringent QC needed.  This of course should mean the QC should be met if you are going to be paid more.

This also brings up the fact that this design may not be the best fit for the materials.  Its time to design something that is more fluid and allows for better grip and feel in the hand instead of the hard, cold edges they are so fond of.  Look at the evolution of the iPhone to iPhone 5, From curves to structural aluminum and glass.

I happen to like my iP5 64GB Black (Only one itsy bitsy nick on the beveled edge) but if they had not gone anodized aluminum this time around the nicks and chips wouldn't show up on the black model so easily.  This is a design flaw and a let down in the Designed in Cupertino QC.

Of course you are taking into account that the cost of living is also way way lower than it is here. 

And if you feel the design and materials aren't the best fit, why the heck did you buy it. Let me guess, because it's an iPhone. No wonder folks call Apple buyers iSheep

• Reply 91 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

I suspect that this issue was WELL known by Apple before the first iphone 5 arrived in a customer's hands.  When I picked up my IP5 early on day one at the ATT store, the salesman took mine out of the box and visually inspected it from all angles, particularly the beveled edges.  At the time, I thought he was being conscientious but in hind sight, I now believe that they had been instructed beforehand to do a thorough visual inspection before handing any IP5 to a customer.  I spotted the other ATT salespeople doing the same routine.

Those instructions could just as easily have come from claims of scratched glass the last two years. Or issues with folks complaining about other 'damaged' phones that weren't even iPhones. Or just simple paranoia based on their own manager being 'certain' that this iPhone will damage more easily. By inspecting every unit before the customer leaves and on camera they can refuse claims of delivery defect that would force them to swap it themselves as the seller. 

• Reply 92 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm sure other phones show wear and tear too but the company that makes them isn't named Apple so no one gives a shit. I'll take my chances with the thin and light iPhone 5 over a brick like the Lumia.

Ding ding. Other phones have scuffs, sometimes at delivery even. Other software has bugs etc. But those companies don't get the page hits that dropping Apple gets so . . .

• Reply 93 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paleblack View Post

The first week of October is holiday in China (National Day).  I mostly work with a team in Shanghai, and everyone there was off for at least a week.  Kind of sucks that they would stop anyone from taking the holiday (and probably at short notice), although I'd lay the blame on Foxxconn rather than Apple.

There's a very good chance they knew they wouldn't be able to take off this holiday, or at least not the whole week of it, when they signed up for the job. So if they did and they agreed, there should be no fights over it. 

• Reply 94 of 142
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Lol I Don't know how all those Chinese workers decided at the same time that they lack training. They must live in the "lazy Chinese worker scum" dorm

It is all orchestrated by Google™.
  • Reply 95 of 142

Generally, if you have a production process and you are having consistent quality issues - that normally points to a problem in the production process itself (once you get that right, then quality issues should be few and far between).  

Workers generally want to do a good job, get paid and have their life.

• Reply 96 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

There's a very good chance they knew they wouldn't be able to take off this holiday, or at least not the whole week of it, when they signed up for the job. So if they did and they agreed, there should be no fights over it. 

You're thinking like this is the US. In China, those who work there, a lot of them are not well educated, and they have no clue what's the rules when they sign up for the job. Also, you'd be - smoking crack if you think Foxconn will read through the whole 'code-of-conduct' with all the workers and explain to them when the workers sign up for the job. 

• Reply 97 of 142
    Damn, i would love to go to China and build my iPhone 5, I AM TIRED OF WAITING FOR IT!!!! I am honestly surprised that Apple did not come across this issue when producing test batches. To fix it they need to put a sticker going around the device like the Apple TV has when you first get it, use it while in production then have it removed carefully and reused it if possible, or just let the customer remove it themselves. Simple as that. Or just paint the phone after you have all the components are in it, use a cover that will be in place for the screen so you dont get paint on it, then once the paint has dried attach the screen and you have yourself an iPhone 5 without any scratches before it leaves Foxconn.
  • Reply 98 of 142
    charlituna wrote: »
    Was your iphone delivered to you. Because if it was the issue could be handling by the delivery service. 

I'm certain that every iphone 5 is inspected several times before it is boxed to make sure there are no scratches etc. Probably has been that way since day one. Any issue would come after it left the production line. Either the trucks out of Foxconn, the plane from China or FedEX etc being their usual careless selves. 

And i'm certainly not going to take the word of a biased group conversing with a known Anti Apple website as proof of anything. 

Geez, charlie, how is the anodized aluminum going to get scratched inside all that finicky packaging? Impossible.

And this is "a known Anti Apple website"? Has it gotten that bad! as in Gizmodo level?

Finally, why aren't you out in the L.A. traffic this evening? I've been waiting for someone at the Starbucks at Highland and Franklin. He called me over an hour ago, said he was at Santa Monica, the traffic wasn't moving. . .
  • Reply 99 of 142
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I would respectfully submit that if transportation handling is enough to scratch the finish INSIDE THE PACKAGING, that's a REALLY delicate device.

So, either it's not shipping that's causing the damage or the finish is too delicate to be appropriate for the kind of use a cellular phone gets.

• Reply 100 of 142
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

It's not painted, it's anodized, which is a surface chemical treatment which hardens and colors the Aluminum surface.

I have lots of anodized items around the house and they don't scratch anywhere NEAR as easily as an iP5.  Either the anodizing process is inferior or the underlying material is too soft.

It doesn't matter to me since I have never worried about tools I use every day getting scratched (and I laugh a little every time someone says "Mine is in a case so the surface is pristine -- you can't SEE it, but trust me, if I ever want to take it out of the case and look at it, the finish will be perfect!"), but I was surprised to see how easily surface damage is inflicted.