Apple improving 3D Flyover visuals in iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    nagromme wrote: »
    No, it didn’t, and still doesn't. Neither 45-degree view nor Google Earth (even with a few 3D building models tacked on) are the same as FlyOver. Google IS working on something like FlyOver, as are others. But 45 degree view and Google Earth terrain and Google's long-time “3D buildings” thing are NOT it. Those are lesser, older methods that simply can’t do the same thing. They have the word “3D” in them, but they are not the same.

Now, FlyOver currently does nothing for most of the Earth! Google Earth at least does something everywhere (more fun than useful, but I’m a big fan). I don’t live in one of the cities included in FlyOver so far. But FlyOver coverage is growing.

Who will get there first? (Truly widespread coverage of high-detail 3D—not just terrain.) Who will do it best? One or both of those will be Apple, I suspect.

For clarification, Apple Maps 3D is available globally; however, 3D Flyover is available only for specific cities and often not the entire metropolitan statistical area for said cities.

Google should have played this one smarter. Although Apple is getting criticism in the short run, it won't last long. Many people thought Apple was greedy for playing company politics and ousting Google Maps - because Apple is more interested in hurting their direct competitor than benefiting the consumer. But, Apple booted Google Maps because they were crippling iOS. Intentionally leaving out features that users not only wanted, but needed to stay up-to date - namely turn by turn GPS, and vector maps. Google thought they could push Apple down, and market GPS on their phones as a selling point, and what did they get? They just got thrown out of 100 million iOS devices - that much less data for them to get their precious advertising revenue. Sorry Google!

Actually, Google Maps has been "thrown out" of more than 240 million iOS devices as of 30 September 2012 according to Chitika Insights. (1) My guess is that the loss of USD $2 bn annually (and growing) will hurt Google considerably if not substantially.

1. No author provided. Published 2 October 2012. 60% of iPhones on iOS 6, iPad and iPod Touch Close Behind. Chitika Insights. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
  • Reply 62 of 104
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Also, Google Earth had 3D Flyover technology many years ago...

"many years ago"?

Multiples of 1 is "many"?

• Reply 63 of 104
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    "many years ago"?
    Multiples of 1 is "many"?

Don't give him that much credit. Google announced their "next dimension" of Maps on 6 June 2012. (1)

1. No author provided. Published 6 June 2012. Google unveils new 3D maps coming to iOS and Android. Apple Insider. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
  • Reply 64 of 104
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Actually, you are on to a pretty good idea. That would be a pretty cool way to also replicate part of what Street View offered. Making map corrections could earn an app store user credit worth something like a dime for suggestions actually implemented. A game could be made out of it using leader boards and Game Center

The Oxford English Dictionary was largely assembled from word submissions from thousands of volunteers. I think Apple also made a mistake not putting the maps on  the Mac. I would use my computer and look for corrections such as fixing improper business listings. 

I recently fired up Nokia Maps and notice several errors in my area concerning businesses that haven't existed in the area in years. So, Apple isn't alone in lacking information. 

• Reply 65 of 104

To be fair, Nokia launched it years ago. 

• Reply 66 of 104
    I like Maps.
  • Reply 67 of 104
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Google should have played this one smarter. Although Apple is getting criticism in the short run, it won't last long. Many people thought Apple was greedy for playing company politics and ousting Google Maps - because Apple is more interested in hurting their direct competitor than benefiting the consumer. But, Apple booted Google Maps because they were crippling iOS. Intentionally leaving out features that users not only wanted, but needed to stay up-to date - namely turn by turn GPS, and vector maps. Google thought they could push Apple down, and market GPS on their phones as a selling point, and what did they get? They just got thrown out of 100 million iOS devices - that much less data for them to get their precious advertising revenue. Sorry Google!

The most surprising thing about losing 100 millions pairs of eyeballs their share price shot up like a rocket, I wonder which of the big boys are manipulating their share price. 

• Reply 68 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

The most surprising thing about losing 100 millions pairs of eyeballs their share price shot up like a rocket, I wonder which of the big boys are manipulating their share price. 

Perhaps the thinking is Android will get even bigger or its iOS app more popular? Honestly though, if you look at the user reviews on most Google iOs apps they stink. I use my old gmail account strictly as a junk mail account now. I like Bing better for search 80 percent of the time. I rarely use Google anymore at all. 

As long as Apple can keep selling tons of hardware, removing Google from iOS devices as the default will hurt Google. Moreover, companies like Amazon using its own flavor of Android are not helping Google at all even though their numbers get included with Android tablet sales (seems unfair). 

• Reply 69 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shock Me View Post

I like Maps.

I do too. I have been playing with several apps over the last few days, and they all have kinks with data. In my area, Nokia maps has some outdated business information, as does Google. 

• Reply 70 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Apple maps is good in Australia, this is a famous racetrack which is celebrating it's 50th anniversary, this weekend:-

If you like watching cars going around, check how we do it, none of this four banked curves in an oval, our cars go up a mountain and down again, hitting 190 mph down the main straight.

• Reply 71 of 104
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    tbell wrote: »

I do too. I have been playing with several apps over the last few days, and they all have kinks with data. In my area, Nokia maps has some outdated business information, as does Google. 

shock me wrote: »
    I like Maps.

Err- and why wouldn't you? Nokia and especially google- maps- so inferior.
  • Reply 72 of 104
    Or once you get a frigging clue.

Not at all. In Manhattan is doesn't work.- the buildings are too tall and the streets too dense. Pure gimmick.
  • Reply 73 of 104
    Remind me when it's out of beta so I can use it.
  • Reply 74 of 104

wao

• Reply 75 of 104
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Once I sprout wings this should become very useful.

Looking forward to a StreeView be it Apple or Google- whoever brings it first.

Can you give us an estimation of how much time you've spent, and posts you've made solely bitching about how useless flyover is? And then, can you consider for a few moments how fucking pathetic that is? Go reassess your life. God knows why you've haven't been banned yet. Many of us love flyover, and think it's useful. Nothing has given me a better overall sense of general city and neighborhood layouts. It's the closest and most seamless thing to reality- yes, more seamless than clicking through photographs taken at a single angle. And it will only get better, more detailed, more accurate, and more expansive. Eventually we'll have the whole world rendered in 3D. Maybe you don't see the value of that, but many of us do. There's no need to parrot the same fucking thing a million times in a million threads, as if your opinion is the only thing that matters. Why don't you just shut the **** up about it, and not use it? You're not forced to, it simply enhances the satellite view. God forbid you actually spend time discussing shit you like and care about- which I have yet to see from you on this board. Again, you should have been banned ages ago- your only goal is to shit on every thread you enter. 

• Reply 76 of 104

I can search for "statue of liberty", "liberty statue", "freiheitsstatue" (German) just fine and it brings me to the correct location. The same goes for "hoover dam", "hover dam", "hoover damm" or "hoover staudamm" (both German) and they all bring me to Hoover Dam.

• Reply 77 of 104

apple technology as vast technology and working 

day picnic near delhi

• Reply 78 of 104
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    They've got 3D for London, Berlin, Oslo, Barthelona, Rome... but no Paris.

*Barcelona

And yes, the function is really cool to discover cities.
    Unfortunately, Paris is a no-flight zone, so maybe that explains why it hasn't flyover yet.
  • Reply 79 of 104
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    bigpics wrote: »
    Apple (and most of the Apple press) is not emphasizing one big advantage that Maps has over Google Maps: the size of the data downloads.

The one report I did see pointed out that Google's raster downloads are at least several multiples (more as I remember) larger than Apple's vectorized ones.  This is $$ in the pockets of folk who run over their data caps, and faster (especially in non 4G areas or on non 4G phones) as well.  

Seems something worth getting into people's heads and blunting the "Maps sucks" meme....

Again, vector maps have existed on android for more than two years, nothing new here.
  • Reply 80 of 104
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can you give us an estimation of how much time you've spent, and posts you've made solely bitching about how useless flyover is? And then, can you consider for a few moments how fucking pathetic that is? Go reassess your life. God knows why you've haven't been banned yet. ...

tekstud has been banned many times, but he keeps coming back under new names.