Supply of Apple's new iPod touch, iPod nano may be limited at launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is gearing up to begin shipping its latest iPod touch and iPod nano revisions, but supply of the new portable media players is expected to be limited at launch.

The company will begin selling the fifth-generation iPod touch and seventh-generation iPod nano as early as next week in Japan, according to Macotakara. Presumably sales would begin in the U.S. around the same time.

Friday's report said supply of the new iPods is expected to be "considerably" limited at launch. When the devices were unveiled by Apple last month, the company simply promised that they would begin shipping in the month of October.

As of Friday afternoon, Apple's online store still advertises that the new iPod touch and iPod nano are available to ship in October. For a brief time on Thursday, the store indicated that new orders would ship in "3 weeks," but the listing was quickly reverted.

iPod touch

Apple's fifth-generation iPod touch is 6.1 millimeters thick and has a 4-inch display with a custom A5 processor. It also comes in five colors, and includes a new wrist strap.

Meanwhile, the redesigned iPod nano has become more like an iOS device, complete with a 2.5-inch touchscreen and a dedicated home button. It will be available in seven colors and features integrated Bluetooth connectivity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    The touch won't be limited because it won't sell. But nice try to push the supply/demand deal.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is gearing up to begin shipping its latest <fill-in-the-blank>, but supply of the new <fill-in-the-blank> is expected to be limited at launch

No sense in AI having to repeat itself on every product launch. image

• Reply 3 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No sense in AI having to repeat itself on every product launch. image

I think it's certainly worthy of a regular reminder to the utterly feckless competition (I use that word advisedly)...... nothing more heartening than all the teeth-gnashing and sobbing/heaving that happens in tech-land every time they see Apple sell out, customers line up, media go berserk, etc.. Priceless. image

• Reply 4 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

The touch won't be limited because it won't sell. But nice try to push the supply/demand deal.

Why do you think Apple's best selling iPod won't sell?

• Reply 5 of 22

Price point of $299 and use perspective. They'll see an iPhone 5 at $199 and not think about all the data costs and wonder why the iPod touch is $100 more (when in reality- it obviously isn't close to $100 more- more like $800 less). But still- perspective. Just sold my 4S for $380. Told 3 people at my office- all 3 said "why would someone buy last years model for $380 when they can get a new one for $200?" People are ignorant to most things.

If (I don't think it will)- they come out with the iPad mini for $349 or $399- then it's absolutely over.

I really like the new iPod touch- a lot. I was all geared up and ready to buy one for my 4 year old. $199- I'd have gotten it. $299? $100 more than a nexus? No thanks. For the record I'd never buy a nexus, but if I got a nexus and $100 for free or and iPod touch, I'd pick the Nexus + cash hands down.

I stand by my opinion that the mini should have been released in lieu of the touch at $299. All the same guts (a5, ram, etc), but a 7-8" screen- and at $299. Would have cleaned up the house and been the rage for Christmas. Will kids be in line and clamoring for a $299 iPod touch? Which would've been better for apples bottom line? An iPad mini that sells xxx with x less profit margins, or an iPod touch that sells drastically xx less with x margins.

In apple I trust, but I think they misfired here (although not selling touches isn't a huge deal to their bottom line- it's more of lost revenue that could have been).
  • Reply 6 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

I sort of agree with him on the price. Apple should have gone for the throat of whatever other PMPs actually exist and done the iPod touch with an A6 at this price or this model at $100 cheaper.

• Reply 7 of 22

Quote:

Price point of $299 and use perspective. They'll see an iPhone 5 at $199 and not think about all the data costs and wonder why the iPod touch is $100 more (when in reality- it obviously isn't close to $100 more- more like $800 less). But still- perspective. Just sold my 4S for $380. Told 3 people at my office- all 3 said "why would someone buy last years model for $380 when they can get a new one for $200?" People are ignorant to most things.

If (I don't think it will)- they come out with the iPad mini for $349 or $399- then it's absolutely over.

I really like the new iPod touch- a lot. I was all geared up and ready to buy one for my 4 year old. $199- I'd have gotten it. $299? $100 more than a nexus? No thanks. For the record I'd never buy a nexus, but if I got a nexus and $100 for free or and iPod touch, I'd pick the Nexus + cash hands down.

I stand by my opinion that the mini should have been released in lieu of the touch at $299. All the same guts (a5, ram, etc), but a 7-8" screen- and at $299. Would have cleaned up the house and been the rage for Christmas. Will kids be in line and clamoring for a $299 iPod touch? Which would've been better for apples bottom line? An iPad mini that sells xxx with x less profit margins, or an iPod touch that sells drastically xx less with x margins.

In apple I trust, but I think they misfired here (although not selling touches isn't a huge deal to their bottom line- it's more of lost revenue that could have been).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I sort of agree with him on the price. Apple should have gone for the throat of whatever other PMPs actually exist and done the iPod touch with an A6 at this price or this model at $100 cheaper.

Some people have zero logic.  I have wifi 98% of my day.  The iPod Touch is perfect.  I can do everything iPhone people can do and if my iPod battery dies I still have my plain Jane phone with an amazing battery.  I get extremely tired of the well the iPod Touch should fail blah blah.  The iPod is the only device of its kind.  I do all my email through it and even a good portion of my texting.  If the iPod Touch was gone tomorrow I would be SOL.  People complaining about the specs really don't realize that the iPhone costs 849 not 399. Say that in your head until it sinks in.  The iPad mini is also a completely useless argument.  It's like saying why would anyone buy an ultrabook when I can buy a regular laptop for the same price/less?  I can't put the iPad mini in my pocket next to my cellphone.  It's a different device for a different audience.  Miniaturization drives up costs.  I started with an iPod Touch in college and it saved me a fortune back then not having a smart phone.  I know tons of college people now that do the same thing because college campuses are mostly wifi.  I know other business people like myself that work at companies with wifi that take advantage of not paying for smart phones as well.  It just gets old to hear people saying how stupid it is when in reality I find them to be the stupid ones paying out the rear for their smartphones.

• Reply 9 of 22
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I think the new iPod Touch is gonna be almost as good as the iPhone 5 in allot of ways.  Less expensive without the contract.  Yes yes.  No cell unit built in.  But one can always make a call while on wifi hot spots.

• Reply 10 of 22

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yoo-hoo!

http://www.chinalaborwatch.org/news/new-433.html

Apple's so evil.

• Reply 11 of 22
    stromos wrote: »

Some people have zero logic.  I have wifi 98% of my day.  The iPod Touch is perfect.  I can do everything iPhone people can do and if my iPod battery dies I still have my plain Jane phone with an amazing battery.  I get extremely tired of the well the iPod Touch should fail blah blah.  The iPod is the only device of its kind.  I do all my email through it and even a good portion of my texting.  If the iPod Touch was gone tomorrow I would be SOL.  People complaining about the specs really don't realize that the iPhone costs 849 not 399. Say that in your head until it sinks in.  The iPad mini is also a completely useless argument.  It's like saying why would anyone buy an ultrabook when I can buy a regular laptop for the same price/less?  I can't put the iPad mini in my pocket next to my cellphone.  It's a different device for a different audience.  Miniaturization drives up costs.  I started with an iPod Touch in college and it saved me a fortune back then not having a smart phone.  I know tons of college people now that do the same thing because college campuses are mostly wifi.  I know other business people like myself that work at companies with wifi that take advantage of not paying for smart phones as well.  It just gets old to hear people saying how stupid it is when in reality I find them to be the stupid ones paying out the rear for their smartphones.

You clearly read nothing I wrote. Read my first paragraph again. My point was what your first sentence was- people have no logic. And base iPhone is $649/$199- the 64 is 849/399. But really, it's hundreds more with data.

Again- before you do your second post- read what you are quoting before you quote it. And a paragraph wouldn't hurt either. ;-). Welcome to AI- where you're always right, unless you're someone else, then you're always wrong. Cheers!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I have an ipad. Can't carry it or a mini ipad or a nexus in my jeans. But I'll make up the extra $100 an ipod touch over an iPhone in the first month. I get wifi in most places I go, the new maps app works without wifi or 3G and passbook, tunes, and a number of other handy apps do even between hotspots. And it's even lighter an thinner than the iphone with way better battery life. No brainer if you don't need to be connected all the time and you have a much cheaper dumbphone.
  • Reply 13 of 22

Quote:

You clearly read nothing I wrote. Read my first paragraph again. My point was what your first sentence was- people have no logic. And base iPhone is $649/$199- the 64 is 849/399. But really, it's hundreds more with data.

Again- before you do your second post- read what you are quoting before you quote it. And a paragraph wouldn't hurt either. ;-). Welcome to AI- where you're always right, unless you're someone else, then you're always wrong. Cheers!

I was agreeing with you.

• Reply 14 of 22
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbach67 View Post

I have an ipad. Can't carry it or a mini ipad or a nexus in my jeans. But I'll make up the extra $100 an ipod touch over an iPhone in the first month. I get wifi in most places I go, the new maps app works without wifi or 3G and passbook, tunes, and a number of other handy apps do even between hotspots. And it's even lighter an thinner than the iphone with way better battery life. No brainer if you don't need to be connected all the time and you have a much cheaper dumbphone.

Agreed.  I have just a dumbphone now, which I'm going to turf.  I have wifi everywhere I frequent (or my wife wife's iPhone), except on the bus to/from work basically. Going form $40 a month for basically just texting to one-time 300 dollar cost will pay for itself within the year

• Reply 15 of 22
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

What is this, an android/WP release?  

Its closing on a month from the release event, and we have 'rumors' and stuff about availability.

Just hurry up and take my money.

• Reply 16 of 22
    stromos wrote: »
    I was agreeing with you.

Face, meet egg.

I thought you weren't but then said a lot of the same stuff. My bad. :-)
  • Reply 17 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

It's Apple. Or course it will sell. As the Haters like to say, Apple could put glitter on a turd and it will sell. And they hate that. 

but of course the analysts etc will say that supplies will be limited no matter what the product is. So if they are off on their numbers they can say that their number could have sold but they didn't have enough supply, blah blah

• Reply 18 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple's so evil.

The work conditions of the people who make Apple products

VS.

The future home of those who design them.

• Reply 19 of 22
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    The iPod touch is quite different from any tablet. It fits in your pocket and can be with you always (except if you are swimming). The same cannot be said of a tablet. I know I am definitely buying an iPod touch to replace my 3rd generation model and so is John Siracusa, so that is at least two. I hope there is decent availability but with the great screen, better camera, power efficient Bluetooth, better performance it easily justifies the $300 price for me.

I think sales will be through the roof because there are plenty of buyers in the US who see the atrocious pricing of data plans here make the iPhone ridiculously overpriced (by the carriers, not Apple). The iPod touch remains the best personal computer ever. At $300 it is nominally not more than the TI 99-4A that I bought all those years ago.
  • Reply 20 of 22

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

The work conditions of the people who make Apple products

VS.

The future home of those who design them.

Apple's so evil. Blah de fricking blah.