Apple extends free iCloud storage to MobileMe users for extra year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

As a former MobileMe member, I didn't get an e-mail.  Guess iCloud is down for me!

I got one. Doesn't everyone get one?

All four of my aliases from MobileMe now have ".me", ".mac", and ".icloud" versions...strangely, the only one that doesn't is the main account name.

There are probably better ways to check, but an easy way is to initiate an email, and open the "from" to see your valid addresses

• Reply 22 of 57
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Bye bye iDisk... You were great while you lasted.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I absolutely hate that they offer so many domain names for the same email account. I think it's ultimately confusing, even if you don't include any of the wonkiness they are doing with the icloud.com domain.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I really don't understand the service at all. When I log into iCloud on the web page the only reference to Photo Stream is under Advanced where it has only one option to Reset Photo Stream which apparently just deletes all your photos on all you devices which doesn't sound like something I would want to do.

Photo Stream is not intended for long term photo storage/backup. It is just service to let you sync your photos between your iOS devices and Macs. You can disable it within your iPhone or iPad in iCloud setting if you wanted to. The reset button will only delete the photos stored on Apple servers and it will not touch the photos in your iPhone/iPad camera roll or the ones in your iPhoto.

• Reply 25 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Quote:

I really don't understand the service at all. When I log into iCloud on the web page the only reference to Photo Stream is under Advanced where it has only one option to Reset Photo Stream which apparently just deletes all your photos on all you devices which doesn't sound like something I would want to do.

Photo Stream is not intended for long term photo storage/backup. It is just service to let you sync your photos between your iOS devices and Macs. You can disable it within your iPhone or iPad in iCloud setting if you wanted to. The reset button will only delete the photos stored on Apple servers and it will not touch the photos in your iPhone/iPad camera roll or the ones in your iPhoto.

Ok good to know. I see my photo stream is on in my iPhone what does that mean? I took a picture now what?

• Reply 26 of 57
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Ok good to know. I see my photo stream is on in my iPhone what does that mean? I took a picture now what?

You should see "Photo Stream" under "Web" on the side bar in iPhoto. If your iPhone is connected to any WiFi network then it will push the photo you are taking/took to all your devices using iCloud. In iPhoto you can drag them to from "Photo Stream" to your "Photos" under Library.

You should be using the same Apple ID on your Mac and iPhone.

• Reply 27 of 57
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    nasserae wrote: »
    You should see "Photo Stream" under "Web" on the side bar in iPhoto. If your iPhone is connected to any WiFi network then it will push the photo you are taking/took to all your devices using iCloud. In iPhoto you can drag them to from "Photo Stream" to your "Photos" under Library.

You should be using the same Apple ID on your Mac and iPhone.
    I find iCloud very 'messy' and the admin of the services confusing. I am not sure which id's do what. I have no idea why I can't get iMessage on my computer, for instance. The admin part should cover all aspects and be identical and available on all devices as well as on iCloud. I'd like to get an overview of what is going on. I understand that this is hard to design but I don't know anyone who really 'gets it'
  • Reply 28 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I find iCloud very 'messy' and the admin of the services confusing. I am not sure which id's do what. I have no idea why I can't get iMessage on my computer, for instance. The admin part should cover all aspects and be identical and available on all devices as well as on iCloud. I'd like to get an overview of what is going on. I understand that this is hard to design but I don't know anyone who really 'gets it'

If you have iOS6 and Mountain Lion then you do get your iMessages on your computer.  In fact, I get them on my mini before my phone.

I miss Gallery and iDisk.  Especially iDisk.

• Reply 29 of 57
    Shame I'm only using about 670mb (and I think thats just my email alone) since they got rid of the ability to upload any file you wanted to iDisk. I really liked that aspect of MobileMe - I abused it for work.

Without iDisk I actually went and bought a cheap Core i3 Acer desktop computer and put Windows Home Server 2011 on it. Its now my web server, file server, media streamer, VPN server and network backup drive. Who needs time machine when you have an SMB share and RSync?
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Shame I'm only using about 670mb (and I think thats just my email alone) since they got rid of the ability to upload any file you wanted to iDisk. I really liked that aspect of MobileMe - I abused it for work.
    Without iDisk I actually went and bought a cheap Core i3 Acer desktop computer and put Windows Home Server 2011 on it. Its now my web server, file server, media streamer, VPN server and network backup drive. Who needs time machine when you have an SMB share and RSync?

I don't understand why you'd buy an entire machine to replicate something as shoddy as iDisk. Dropbox, SugarSync, etc. are all not only simple methods for uploading files they are modern implementations that trounce iDisk in every way.

I understand missing an iDisk-like service for iCloud but to actually miss iDisk makes no sense to me. It was archaic and insecure in every way possible. I really wanted them to buy Dropbox but there is nothing they haven't been using with Time Machine sparse bundles and delta updates they already didn't have knowledge of before Dropbox existed.
  • Reply 31 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't understand why you'd buy an entire machine to replicate something as shoddy as iDisk. Dropbox, SugarSync, etc. are all not only simple methods for uploading files they are modern implementations that trounce iDisk in every way.

I understand missing an iDisk-like service for iCloud but to actually miss iDisk makes no sense to me. It was archaic and insecure in every way possible. I really wanted them to buy Dropbox but there is nothing they haven't been using with Time Machine sparse bundles and delta updates they already didn't have knowledge of before Dropbox existed.

True. At home backup is dated. It took one minor house fire in 2006 for me to see the advantage of cloud storage (or before there was 'cloud' for iTunes- off site storage). If any of your backups are local and not entirely fire/theft proof, you are wasting your time.

• Reply 32 of 57
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    desuserign wrote: »
    It's really the least they could do, considering how for years they overcharged .Mac and MobileMe users (such as myself, I admit sheepishly.).

Speak for yourself. I never felt overcharged for .Mac. iDisk alone was worth the money to me.
    ltmp wrote: »
    I'm with you.  

I appreciated getting the email this evening, but I don't really know what I'll do with the space.  I do most of my backups locally.

I miss the Mobileme gallery.  I wish they'd bring it back

I agree. I don't use iCloud at all. I really liked iDisk and I'm not happy with any of the alternatives.
    True. At home backup is dated. It took one minor house fire in 2006 for me to see the advantage of cloud storage (or before there was 'cloud' for iTunes- off site storage). If any of your backups are local and not entirely fire/theft proof, you are wasting your time.

Well, I actually prefer 'both'. I have all my files backed up locally (both a Time Machine backup and periodically, I clone the disk to an external drive) but also use SkyDrive. The local backup is more convenient for normal usage and I only envision needing the cloud backup in an emergency.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    I only use the email service and dearly miss Photo Gallery.

Like many, I have been a Apple services customer through several names and broken promises. Because the current offering slows and disrupts my computer operation chose not to use the storage currently offered.

In this age of broken privacy promises who would purposely expose their private information with a company whose services include narcissistic ME services?
  • Reply 34 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

In this age of broken privacy promises who would purposely expose their private information with a company whose services include narcissistic ME services?

Because Apple doesn't?

• Reply 35 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because Apple doesn't?

Exactly.  I may miss iDisk but I am not running to Gdrive or some other service either.  I mainly missed the OS integration but I am sure Apple's new web paradigm (app centric rather than general depository) will catch up.

• Reply 36 of 57
    Exactly.  I may miss iDisk but I am not running to Gdrive or some other service either.  I mainly missed the OS integration but I am sure Apple's new web paradigm (app centric rather than general depository) will catch up.

I'm not familiar with Gdrive but modern solutions like Dropbox and SugarSync offer integrated solutions. Except for not using necesssarly requiring the same username and password for your login* it's a lot more integrated and automatic and intelligent than iDisk ever was.

I save all my important files to Dropbox because I know it will sync with it can. I know that if close my machine down before it finishes the sync it won't have to restart the whole thing or get confused and remove it. I know it will only update changes I've made so it'll use less resources. I know that I have 30 days** to go back and revert to any older saved file in case I made a mistake, which includes deletion of a file. I know if I have one user in one folder and one user in another folder and I put the same file in both folders that it will not copy it from my local disk twice but intelligently know that file is already on its servers, and instantly place it in both folders, which is especially useful for large videos. I know it uses 256-AES encryption.

None of the things I've described above make iDisk a better, faster or safer solution for user's personal and private data.

* Note, you can use your iCloud email for the username and make the password the same but I only suggest the former.

** That's for the free Dropbox account. The paid one has no time limit.
  • Reply 37 of 57

Solipsism:  I don't miss iDisk for solely sync services.  I liked being able to share files and dump stuff there without it being on my computer.  I am pretty sure you can do that with google and microsoft but it's not built in like FB and Twitter (which I don't use).

• Reply 38 of 57
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member

I appreciate the "free storage" extension on iCloud.  But I must point out that I do not really like the limited functionality of iCloud.  I liked iDisk, Mobile ME, and iWeb.  I want to be able to put my files where I want them and share them with a limited audience or the public as I wish.

Thank you Apple for iCloud, but bring back the functionality of iDisk & Mobile Me and especially continue iWeb. I know iWeb is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if you had opened it up a little more where users were not so restricted in what they published, it would have flourished.

While I am at it, when I go to the Apple Store, I go for the experience.  I want to speak with people who understand w what I want, not what they want me to have.  I know you have retracted laying off some of the sales people at some stores, but I want to warn you that if you let your new VP make the Apple Stores into a Best Buy or other big box type of store, I will stop going.  I really don't like Best Buy at all.  I have never been into this type of store that the salespeople did not attempt to switch me to a windows product or show me something else.  Most of them don't know much and it shows.

It is time to kick it up a notch in all areas because the competition is trying to each the Big Dog's lunch.

• Reply 39 of 57
    Solipsism:  I don't miss iDisk for solely sync services.  I liked being able to share files and dump stuff there without it being on my computer.  I am pretty sure you can do that with google and microsoft but it's not built in like FB and Twitter (which I don't use).

That's how I use Dropbox from time to time. I'll create a folder, share it with one or more people, put stuff in their and then trash the folder on my system. You can also use their web interace to upload to a folder not on your system but I much prefer using Fknder over a web interface when possible.

As I recall, iDisk had a single password for sharing for everyone. With modern option you have multiple solutions, many of which are you alllowing any number of people to join any number of your folders which you can easily manage.

I want Apple to give us back iDisk but only if it a modern version and not that insecure, 1990s-esque solution they had for us up through MobileMe.
  • Reply 40 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

I'm with you.  

I appreciated getting the email this evening, but I don't really know what I'll do with the space.  I do most of my backups locally.

I miss the Mobileme gallery.  I wish they'd bring it back

I absolutely agree.  I don't like the photo share at all.  The Gallery was just AWESOME.  family could access it easily and it had the RSS feed so family knew their were updates.  It worked flawlessly I think and should surely be resurrected.