Apple improving 3D Flyover visuals in iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

tekstud has been banned many times, but he keeps coming back under new names.

I'm beginning to believe that people like this doesn't have friends in real life.

• Reply 82 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Not at all. In Manhattan is doesn't work.- the buildings are too tall and the streets too dense.

That certainly explains why it DOES WORK in Manhattan, then, now doesn't it?

• Reply 83 of 104
    I like Flyover, but I hate that it stops a maddening two miles from my home. Hurry up and finish all of Chicago, or I'm going o get Jesse Jackson Sr. to kick your ass!!
  • Reply 84 of 104
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

The case of SIRI "listening" with its ear plugged with a cotton ball.... Good thing it didn't spell out "oh sloow" before "Barthelona" which I thought was the long lost cousin of Bart Simpson...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

They've got 3D for London, Berlin, Oslo, Barthelona,....

• Reply 85 of 104

I remember just about five or six years ago I was able to tilt the view on terrain and see the 3D rendering of some rugged area in Canada and the US with Google Earth, plus some areas in Europe and Asia. I was on a "Fiber Optic Network" at the time, it was fun to see many places you've been and the even much much more places you've never been. It was to me, just a toy, enough to spend roughly an hour or so of your time wasting the bandwidth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

"many years ago"?

Multiples of 1 is "many"?

• Reply 86 of 104

You must've forgotten that these buyers of i-gadgets are generally very rich and love flaunting their wealth around. Many of them own a small i-Plane Mini which would get them to where they are going using Apple's "fly-over" view. Apple and its engineers are building many i-Landing strips everywhere, as we speak, in many metropolitan area around the world to cater this ever growing wealthy segment of i-Gadget users. 

Quote:

Once I sprout wings this should become very useful.

Looking forward to a StreeView be it Apple or Google- whoever brings it first.

• Reply 87 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

It's as though the trolls don't WANT to be taken seriously.

• Reply 88 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    mcrs wrote: »
    You must've forgotten that these buyers of i-gadgets are generally very rich and love flaunting their wealth around. Many of them own a small [SIZE=14px]i-Plane Mini[/SIZE] which would get them to where they are going using Apple's "fly-over" view. Apple and its engineers are building many i-Landing strips everywhere, as we speak, in many metropolitan area around the world to cater this ever growing wealthy segment of i-Gadget users. 

Well the promise of flying cars has been around for at least fifty years, although it hasn't eventuated yet, it's good to know that iOS users will be prepared.
  • Reply 89 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    BREAKING: What we knew was going to happen and that which has been happening since Beta 1 is continuing to happen.

BREAKERINGLY BREAKING: Google's shaking in their 360 degree boots.

What is the betting Google is also working night and day on a vector based system to totally replace their pixel system before they are left in the dust. Meanwhile the swiftboating attacks will continue unabated.
  • Reply 90 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    pt123 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the old picture of the Brooklyn Bridge. Looks almost the same as the new picture. Why were people complaining?

I'll have one of what ever your drinking ... /lol
  • Reply 91 of 104
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I wish that, instead of fixing this useless 3-D flyover stuff, they'd fix some of the basic business location info from Yelp! 1/4 of the time I do a search for a business in Apple Maps, I don't get a location (usually when I'm off on the name by a couple letters).

This weekend I was trying to use the new Starbucks app with Apple Passbook integration - both times, it failed (yes, I have all notifications & alerts an show-on-lockscreen turned on). I began to suspect that it might be due to my iPhone thinking that I'm not really at the Starbucks that I knew I was standing in. I brought up Apple Maps and, sure enough, it thought Starbucks was several hundred yards down the road! Of course I reported the problem - being the Apple beta tester/free labor that I am for Apple. But the same thing happened the next day, at a different Starbucks.

So not only are Apple Maps severely lacking in their own right, they appear to make Apple's Passbook feature useless too.
  • Reply 92 of 104

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What is the betting Google is also working night and day on a vector based system to totally replace their pixel system before they are left in the dust. Meanwhile the swiftboating attacks will continue unabated.

Gatorguy (of course) has already mentioned they DO have a beta of that.

Wonder why. 

• Reply 93 of 104

Finally a big thanks  to apple...check the improvements

• Reply 94 of 104
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    I personally prefer the 'Before' images. Reminds me of the TV Show Fringe.
  • Reply 95 of 104
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

Once I sprout wings this should become very useful.

Looking forward to a StreeView be it Apple or Google- whoever brings it first.

Can you give us an estimation of how much time you've spent, and posts you've made solely bitching about how useless flyover is? And then, can you consider for a few moments how fucking pathetic that is? Go reassess your life. God knows why you've haven't been banned yet. Many of us love flyover, and think it's useful. Nothing has given me a better overall sense of general city and neighborhood layouts. It's the closest and most seamless thing to reality- yes, more seamless than clicking through photographs taken at a single angle. And it will only get better, more detailed, more accurate, and more expansive. Eventually we'll have the whole world rendered in 3D. Maybe you don't see the value of that, but many of us do. There's no need to parrot the same fucking thing a million times in a million threads, as if your opinion is the only thing that matters. Why don't you just shut the **** up about it, and not use it? You're not forced to, it simply enhances the satellite view. God forbid you actually spend time discussing shit you like and care about- which I have yet to see from you on this board. Again, you should have been banned ages ago- your only goal is to shit on every thread you enter. 

As much as you are annoyed by his point of view, it is a valid point and it should continually come up when discussing iOS6 maps.

Flyover is mostly a gimmick in the sense that it doesn't help accomplish tasks that the map app is used for 99.9% of the time. On the other hand, street view is useful when doing map type things. It can actually help you get to your destination in a wide variety of ways. To see how obvious that is, note how many people will bring up google earth and fly around their final destination in order to learn something. Yeah, pretty much nobody does that. On the other hand, people do actively seek out street view when doing map tasks.

With that said, it is neat to look, but just not for any type of actual mapping or navigational purpose. It's more like site-seeing rather than planning a trip or navigating.

• Reply 96 of 104
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Someone will come along any minute to claim that Street View is superior to 3D Flyover because no one uses 3D flyover.

Why is 2D aerial and satellite imagery of the entire globe (Space Oblique Mercator projection) and 3D aerial and satellite imagery superimposed on a digital elevation model providing a 360-degree panoramic overhead oblique view including a low level "bird's eye view" (Space Oblique Mercator-variant projection) especially as supplemented further by multiple (typically) static photographs of points of interest superior to Street View?

Every projection misrepresents the surface of the Earth in some way. Since all projections can show one or more but not all of the following; the greater the number of projections the greater the ability of the user to discern their location (although larger numbers of projections become increasingly confusing at an exponential rate); true direction, true distance, true areas, true shape.

Dead reckoning is an unreliable method given that the average global positioning system (GPS) user is not trained in the technique. For the purposes of modern living, satellite navigation is vastly superior and additionally methods to supplement the model only increase navigation accuracy. Furthermore, given the limitations of 360-degree panoramic "street level" views of the entire surface of the planet which is entirely impractical versus aerial and satellite photography the superiority of the later becomes manifest.

Furthermore, Google Street View relies on end-to-end attached pictures and nodes users must pass through, dramatically limiting the ability to visualize "the street" from different points of view whereas Apple 3D Flyover provides a continuous representation of a location, without waiting for a picture to be loaded when changing locations 20 meters. Additionally, while Apple 3D Flyover is simply another representation within the same app providing full continuity and integration with other representations while Google Street View must be invoked, interrogated and selected.
  • Reply 97 of 104
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    While when this story first appeared my iPad had the Brooklyn Bridge correction (and dropped a pin straight on Miss Liberty's head) my iPhone 5 still had the wrinkled bridge.

Over the weekend the wrinkles on the BB went away.

Varying servers with different image files?
  • Reply 98 of 104
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Ah competition, this is exactly how its meant to work right. The market will sort itself out. Thnak you Apple for finally making maps space a truly competitive marker and now Google can't rest on it a$$
  • Reply 99 of 104
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    While when this story first appeared my iPad had the Brooklyn Bridge correction (and dropped a pin straight on Miss Liberty's head) my iPhone 5 still had the wrinkled bridge.
    Over the weekend the wrinkles on the BB went away.
    Varying servers with different image files?

While data hosting on multiple servers is certainly a possibility given the following patent:

Load Balanced, Redundant Servers hosting the Geodata in Random Access Memory as "Shards" will provide efficient server interrogation (requests). According to United States Patent Application 20110276692 entitled "Server Load Balancing Using Geodata," Apple Maps will "Be divided among a plurality of servers based on geographical divisions in a process known as sharding. Sharding divides a collection of data into multiple segments called shards. Thus, each division of the world is a shard of geodata which includes data describing that segment of the world, data describing objects collectively making up that segment of the world, and/or data associated with a coordinate falling within that segment of the world."

"The shards of geodata can be distributed among a plurality of servers. Accordingly, each server is only responsible for a limited portion of the entire data set, which enables faster retrieval of geodata. Additionally, the same shard of data can be stored on more than one server so that multiple servers can share the load of serving many requests. This is especially useful in systems serving a high volume of requests."

"To accommodate the fact that some cells will contain less data than others, cells can be combined into shards made up of a plurality of cells. In such embodiments, a cell can be considered a basic unit of a shard, which can be combined into larger groups of data. FIG. 2 illustrates that a single cell overlapping several Northern California cities (San Jose, San Francisco, Sacramento) contains enough data that the cell itself can be its own shard. Accordingly, shard 214 is shown being stored on a server disk 212. In contrast, the gray cells overlapping Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Western Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and parts of Arizona illustrate a shard 204 made up of several cells. Shard 204 is stored on server disk 202."

The difference in data could also be attributed to aggressive caching on the device:

"Vector maps in iOS 6 are so efficient that Apple can cache a very large surrounding area for offline browsing and GPS navigation when traveling outside of WiFi or mobile data coverage."
  • Reply 100 of 104
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Ah competition, this is exactly how its meant to work right. The market will sort itself out. Thnak you Apple for finally making maps space a truly competitive marker and now Google can't rest on it a$$

In the long run, I agree. More major companies offering competing mapping products is a good thing.

Unfortunately, in the short run, iphone users are saddled with inferior maps.