Apple's new iMac expected to be redesigned without Retina display

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 130

They are "just" coming out with 4K displays for two reasons: There is zero 4K content and there is little hardware powerful enough to drive it besides a full-blown PC.

2 out of 3 current game consoles can barely put out 1080p. Don't expect a 4K capable home game console like Toshiba used for their 4k demo screen until 2020 at the very earliest.

The only real use for a 4K screen over the next 1-3 years is to display 4 HDTV streams. They won't be much good as PC or workstation monitors because, as mentioned before, they will all be 36"+. 27" is already over the top for a consumer desktop. Personally, they should have left well enough alone with the 24" screen.

• Reply 122 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Dude, posting on a forum isn't an instant message.

For most people retina is a nice luxury. If you work on any drawings, images, video or publishing, it's beneficial to show the added detail to make problems less likely to to be hidden by aliasing errors.

perhaps English is not his native language

Your comment is unnecessary and uncalled for

• Reply 123 of 130

Originally Posted by ElmoDog View Post

perhaps English is not his native language

For the record, it isn't. I'm sure Jeff knows that, too. But as he has certainly shown an aptitude in it above that of the content of the post in question, Jeff's point is valid, and it was presented in a casual, not insulting, way.

• Reply 124 of 130
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

I do hope the updates are soon.

I'm in the market, but I'm not going to buy a machine that's 522 days old.  The high end 21.5" is my target, and I would like to see 8Gb ram and a 1Gb graphics processor.

• Reply 125 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I do hope the updates are soon.

I'm in the market, but I'm not going to buy a machine that's 522 days old.  The high end 21.5" is my target, and I would like to see 8Gb ram and a 1Gb graphics processor.

I had the chance to buy an iMac (top of the range one for half price...) but I didn't rush to do so.

The current machine is 522 days old like you say.  The current design runs very hot.  The HDs take alot of hammer.  I've certainly had problems.  You wouldn't put keep your hands on the top left side of an iMac while it's running even a moderate game for long.

We're due 8 gigs of ram and 2 gig gpus.  Cooler running design.  Quad core across the board.  i7 as standard and dropping the i5 to the entry level.  

...and I'd like to see Retina.  Such that it will be.

...and solid state drives are dropping in price.  Should be standard in the top model at least.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 126 of 130

I have a current 27" i7 and it doesn't run hot, even when rendering video at 80-90% CPU for an hour.

I do keep my room at a nice 23°C, though.

• Reply 127 of 130
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I have a current 27" i7 and it doesn't run hot, even when rendering video at 80-90% CPU for an hour.

You regard that as cool?  Super warm for me at this time of year.  In celsius terms, I keep it at 23.33 in the summer, and in the winter 20 during the day and 17.8 at night.

• Reply 128 of 130
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

It won't be cool enough for me until we get a processor that operates at about 10°C or less.
  • Reply 129 of 130
    So... I'm under the impression that store employees don't know anything, but I was in the other day, and was asked if I could be helped, and I basically said that I was wanting an iMac but was waiting for when new ones come out. He then said that they were told that mid October was when they were going to get updated.

Who knows.
  • Reply 130 of 130
    jotaro85 wrote: »
    i need dvd player so i think i'll buy the imac. i found an offert at 999euros...
    wow! too expensive