Bug causing iPhone 5s to use cellular data while on Wi-Fi may not be limited to Verizon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

I appear to be NOT experiencing this bug on either the phone or the iPad (AT&T), which makes it puzzling -- why do some people trigger this, and some not?

• Reply 22 of 43
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    zzz
  • Reply 23 of 43
    I haven't had unusual or large amounts of data on my iPhone 5 using IOS 6 with AT&T. Make sure and check all of your settings, using cellular is in setting in places that I had not seen it used before and I had to shut them off. If cellular in general is off, are people still having cellular data usage, just to make sure I am understanding the bug correctly? Thanks.
  • Reply 24 of 43

Isn't there a setting to shut off the data and leave wifi on?

• Reply 25 of 43

Yes there is, but is that what everyone does?  My understanding is that it is to use wifi unless it's not available and then use cellular.  I am currently shutting off cellular everytime I get home or to office.  Just a pain in the a..  You don't have to do this with androids.

• Reply 26 of 43
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    kavok wrote: »
    I say Datagate.  Though I'm opposed to using the word "gate" as a suffix regardless.  Damn you Nixon!!

This. It drives me crazy the stupidity of using "gate". The hotel was watergate.... Not water. It wasn't called watergate gate. Makes me insane.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It drives me crazy the stupidity of using "gate".

I love it. It only proves the stupidity of blowing out of proportion meaningless problems.

• Reply 28 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Isn't there a setting to shut off the data and leave wifi on?

Airplane mode, and then turn WiFi back on.

I think the difference between people being affected and those that haven't is because of iCloud backup.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I think the difference between people being affected and those that haven't is because of iCloud backup.

Nope. I have several friends with this issue and some of them don't use iCloud at all, much less backups. What's worse is that one got a text from AT&T he was at 75% of the plan in one week. But the phone says he only used about 50MB in total
  • Reply 30 of 43
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jtaylor556 wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T and I definitely am experiencing this bug. I bought the 64GB phone and downloaded all of music from iTunes Match one evening last week. I was at my house logged into wi-fi and set the download to start late in the evening. When I awoke, I realized I had received a text from AT&T informing me of my data overage. I am now being throttled until my next billing cycle. I called AT&T about the issue and they were completely unwilling to un-throttle me. I that AT&T!!!

At least you are only throttled. Some of us are facing major overage charges that we might get removed, but might not.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    iPhone 4S on AT&T. Suddenly one night (while on WiFi), the phone initiated a 400MB upload. Discovered it 2 days later when AT&T told me I was way over my 200MB monthly (where I have always lived reasonably comfortably). A little startling. AT&T took care of it but they obviously have something going on that needs to be fixed.
  • Reply 32 of 43

...should also add that I recently upgraded to iOS 6 and the phone wasn't in use at the time. And I don't back up to iCloud. Something decided it needed to send out more data than I have in the previous 2 1/2 months. 

• Reply 33 of 43

• Reply 34 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    charlituna wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

Nope. I have several friends with this issue and some of them don't use iCloud at all, much less backups. What's worse is that one got a text from AT&T he was at 75% of the plan in one week. But the phone says he only used about 50MB in total

So not backup to iCloud then. Hmm, weird bug. And annoying; having to deal with a telco is no fun, and that's a global thing.

I wonder if Sprint users.. - no, they have unlimited and wouldn't go over any cap, correct? Strange that I only hear this in the US, so maybe the bug is not in iOS?
  • Reply 35 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

My iPad 2 which I updated to ios6 which never leaves my house and is always connected to my wifi says I've used 5.6 gb on my cellular data. This is a huge problem and I think that some heads are going to have to role at Apple for this one.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I am having the same issue with my new iPad 3. Neither Verizon nor Apple is willing to help. They need to fix this bug NOW.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 36 of 43

This problem ist not limited to the US...i am having the same problem here in Germany. 300 MB in 1 day, in my case iTunes Match seem to use 3G in the background even at home, when WiFi is on...

There was a switch "WiFi plus Cellular" in the beta of IOS 6. It seems, that Apple removed the switch, but left the function as always on by accident....

• Reply 37 of 43
    terminal IOS 6ness contracted with apple bite

The problem is not Ios 6 but with the new apple corporate culture.

Ios 6 is a total disaster that exposed apples willingness to handcuff users to an irreversible and often terminal download that has destroyed many iphones and ipads with Battery drain{ 3 hour battery life} , bluetooth problems, locations services problems, wifi problems, cellular data overages raising iphone users bills as much as 100 %, and hazard to navigation apple maps. A few minutes spent on Apple Support groups reveals multitudes of astonished loyal apple users being disabused and lied to at every level of Apple Support.

Every new system has problems but Apple failure to be transparent about these problems and failure allow users to return to a functional operating system is a new low in corporate corruption.
  • Reply 38 of 43

terminal IOS 6ness contracted with apple bite

The problem is not Ios 6 but with the new apple corporate culture.

Ios 6 is a total disaster that exposed apples willingness to handcuff users to an irreversible and often terminal download that has destroyed many iphones and ipads with Battery drain{ 3 hour battery life} , bluetooth problems, locations services problems, wifi problems, cellular data overages raising iphone users bills as much as 100 %, and hazard to navigation apple maps. A few minutes spent on Apple Support groups reveals multitudes of astonished loyal apple users being disabused and lied to at every level of Apple Support.

Every new system has problems but Apple failure to be transparent about these problems and failure allow users to return to a functional operating system is a new low in corporate corruption.
  • Reply 39 of 43

Originally Posted by ascottyb View Post

iOS 6 is a total disaster…

Stopped taking you seriously.

So sue them. What's that? Too hard? Then deal with it or go to someone else. The twenty people that do will be "happier", until they realize how horrid Android is and how limited WP7 is.

• Reply 40 of 43
    I have it on AT&T iPhone 5 (and the wife's). My plan is unlimited, but hers is only 200MB. Not sure what is using the data, but it certainly uses cell data while on wifi. She averaged around 60MB per month on the iPhone 4 with iOS 5; the new phone has used 140MB in 7 days. Settings and apps for the new phone were restored from a backup of the old one.