Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic offline use for a wide area

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 180
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I'll have to take back an earlier statement I made that Google doesn't offer vector mapping for desktops. It seems they have a beta already offered that does just that, with the bonus of 3D mapping and seamless transition to Streetview.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/step-inside-map-with-google-mapsgl.html

• Reply 162 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

i cannot see "Hollywood sign" on iOS 5 Google maps (no street view) or Google Earth iOS and OS X (wrong location).  The maps.google.com web site gives the same erroneous result as Google Earth.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=3000+canyon+lake+drive+hollywood&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80c2bf0b0a366681:0x8b8c487778c582f0,3000+Canyon+Lake+Dr,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90068&gl=us&ei=4g9yUPH3EYHY9A

Supposedly the best spot for viewing the Hollywood sign.

Yes and also if you search for Mt Lee, Los Angeles, CA you can see it from directly overhead. The problem with just searching for Hollywood sign is that the website hollywoodsign.org is publishing the wrong coordinates.

• Reply 163 of 180
    mstone wrote: »
    gatorguy wrote: »
    i cannot see "Hollywood sign" on iOS 5 Google maps (no street view) or Google Earth iOS and OS X (wrong location).  The maps.google.com web site gives the same erroneous result as Google Earth.
    [URL=https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en
    Yes and also if you search for Mt Lee, Los Angeles, CA you can see it from directly overhead. The problem with just searching for Hollywood sign is that the website hollywoodsign.org is publishing the wrong coordinates.

I don't understand that comment.

Apple maps is able to find the correct location with its "supposedly" inferior source for map data: TomTom.

Google maps cannot find the correct location with its superior sorce for maps data: Google.

Are you saying that Google maps only takes responsibility for the location if it is correct -- and blames someone else if it is incorrect?

I wonder how, and how long it will take for Google to fix this error in its map app.

To the prior poster: How is the user supposed to know to search for: "3000 canyon lake drive hollywood"?

Remember, we are discussing using a mobile device (phone or tablet) while out and about... Supposedly trying to find something?

I tried the address, on my iPad, with the maps.google.com web site -- was not able to get a street view.

I tried the address with the street viewer app (which uses Google data) and was able to see the sign from afar... I was able to navigate a bit closer -- but then had to zoom in which gave very blurry and unsatisfactory results compared to Apple maps 3D.

With Google apps and data, I could not easily and fluidly move between overhead and street view, nor could I get the same distance and resolution of the target area with the two views.

Convenience and user experience, Apple maps wins this test hands down:
    1) a single, simple logical search reguest!
    2) a single response that was quickly zoomable and in focus at 45-90° and anything in between!

I know it's anecdotal, but plus one for the good guys!
  • Reply 164 of 180

Just to show off (notice the search term):

• Reply 165 of 180

Quote:

Apple maps is able to find the correct location with its "supposedly" inferior source for map data: TomTom.

Google maps cannot find the correct location with its superior sorce for maps data: Google.

Dick: This is an isolated instance. No one resides at the Hollywood sign. You are not permitted to visit it as it is surrounded by razor wire fence and it has no address per se. The reason it is not found in Google maps is because the people who administer the site have purposefully obfuscated the location. Give us a break and go find another landmark to adopt as your poster child for Apple maps. 

• Reply 166 of 180

Dick: This is an isolated instance. No one resides at the Hollywood sign. You are not permitted to visit it as it is surrounded by razor wire fence and it has no address per se. Give us a break and go find another landmark to adopt as your poster child for Apple maps.

M... Yeah, I guess the people that spend $$$ building, maintaining and protecting the "Hollywood Sign" don't want anyone to see it... It's not a touri$t attraction... Also, I guess the Statue of Liberty, and Niagara Falls are isolated instances too...

Give us a break, claiming Google maps satellite images are superior... Sometimes, but Not always & not for everything...

The thing I really like about Apple maps (all problems considered) is that I am in control... Not some bi (or tri) polar Google app.

I can help make Apple maps better... I refuse to provide tracking data to make Google maps better...

I won't sell my soul to Google... For any price!,

Your choice... My choice!
  • Reply 167 of 180
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    yes, the problem with google is that their map features are divided between Maps and Earth. The satellite views in apple maps will get better, I just hope that they'll begin doing streetview sometime.
  • Reply 168 of 180
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

To the prior poster: How is the user supposed to know to search for: "3000 canyon lake drive hollywood"?

Remember, we are discussing using a mobile device (phone or tablet) while out and about... Supposedly trying to find something?

Google search of course. . . 

That's the way I found it. Simply type "best spot to view the Hollywood sign".  How did you find a spot to view the Hollywood sign in Apple maps?

• Reply 169 of 180

M... Yeah, I guess the people that spend $$$ building, maintaining and protecting the "Hollywood Sign" don't want anyone to see it... It's not a touri$t attraction... Also, I guess the Statue of Liberty, and Niagara Falls are isolated instances too...

Dick the Hollywood sign location that Google Maps identifies is likely the closest publicly accessible viewpoint.

If you wanted turn by turn as a tourist to see the Hollywood sign, this is where they want you to go not to the top of Mt Lee where you will be turned back or arrested.

Edit: It looks like there is another public park that is closer and has a better view. Bronson Canyon Park.

I'm not sure about why the maker is in Griffith Park unless Bronson is not large enough to handle the tourist traffic. 

Here is a comment I read :

BTW, The H Sign was never in any danger last year. It was a scam to raise a lot of money from nice people thinking they were saving the H Sign. You cannot drive up to the H Sign. A lot of tourists are being deceived into thinking they can drive up Beachwood Canyon to the H Sign. They get caught in a maze of narrow, path-like little lanes with no room for turning around. It's a nightmare. The natives are getting restless -- after the millionth tourist climbing your wall, you'd become a little testy too. We Hollywoodians love tourists, but you did not come to see my house so please, stay out of my yard. Both tourists and homeowners are victims of a deception.

• Reply 170 of 180

Dick the Hollywood sign location that Google Maps identifies is likely the closest publicly accessible viewpoint.

Even the Wikipedia page identifies the same GPS coordinates: 34°08?02.56?N 118°19?18.00?W

If you wanted turn by turn as a tourist to see the Hollywood sign, this is where they want you to go not to the top of Mt Lee where you will be turned back or arrested.

Now that's a conundrum! Should a map search take you to wear a location is – or to the best site from which to view the search location?

In Apple maps, I can search for:
    1) Hollywood sign
    2) the Mt. Lee address or coordinates
    3) the "3000 canyon lake drive hollywood" address

The one app takes me to all three locations -- and I can pan/zoom/rotate the view, from any of the three locations, to get the same results at the same resolution.

I cannot do that with Google maps -- the street view from the canyon lake drive address shows the sign from afar... If I zoom in it gets blurry and loses resolution.

Again, I know this is anecdotal, a special case, and only possible because Apple maps has 3D FlyOver mapping of this particular area... But, in this case, Apple maps gives superior results and is easier to use.

The big question is: how quickly can Apple take advantage of this capability and map 3D flyover for the most popular locations?

From my experience with Google maps, Google Street view, and Google Earth – I do not think that these can be easily combined to match Apple maps at its best.

I am encouraged because a week ago we didn't have the Hollywood Sign or the Brooklyn Bridge available with Apple maps.

It's up to Apple to perform!
  • Reply 171 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Edit: It looks like there is another public park that is closer and has a better view. Bronson Canyon Park.

I'm not sure about why the maker is in Griffith Park unless Bronson is not large enough to handle the tourist traffic. 

Here is a comment I read :

BTW, The H Sign was never in any danger last year. It was a scam to raise a lot of money from nice people thinking they were saving the H Sign. You cannot drive up to the H Sign. A lot of tourists are being deceived into thinking they can drive up Beachwood Canyon to the H Sign. They get caught in a maze of narrow, path-like little lanes with no room for turning around. It's a nightmare. The natives are getting restless -- after the millionth tourist climbing your wall, you'd become a little testy too. We Hollywoodians love tourists, but you did not come to see my house so please, stay out of my yard. Both tourists and homeowners are victims of a deception.

Regarding your edit...  The Bronson Canyon Park view is better but a little off to the side...

You can get a closer full frontal near the intersection of Dironda DR and Mulhullond Highway...

I find it amusing that I am using Apple maps to find a better location for Google Maps  Street View to see the Hollywood Sign!

• Reply 172 of 180

Tried this idea and it did not seem to work with the new operating system loaded into my 3gs. Too bad we can't switch the default map system like you can the search browser on your computer. Apple taught me to grow to love Google maps since the first iPhone and I feel like a kid in a divorce forced to live with the worse parent. Hate how everything throws you back to Maps by default. In Seattle Apple Maps is far from terrible, but not reliable either.

• Reply 173 of 180
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The flack maps has gotten is despicable and insane, and has really made me lose faith in humanity. What a bunch of whiny, entitled, spoiled brats we've become. There are so many incredibly impressive things about this product, and what Apple has managed to accomplish at LAUNCH is positive insane. I can't believe flyover is now mocked and defined as 'garbage' and 'crap' because of people desperately looking for the worst looking stuff at the worst angles, ignoring the fact that 99% of the time it looks stunning. I've browsed 20 cities in 3D and my mind gets numb trying to imagine the level of work that must have taken, as well as the technical ability, algorithms, etc to make the 3D look near photo realistic. We're talking entire cities rendered, with residential areas, not just the core downtown. The cartography is gorgeous. Vector maps cache brilliantly and are incredibly well designed. Turn by turn has been flawless in my experience. Yes, there's missing/wrong data which there inevitably will be. But the fact that Apple hasn't gotten a shred of credit for the package, which in many ways is superior to Google maps (design of cartography, flyover, turn by turn interface, caching, iconography, etc) from a company that has never been in the mapping business, is just depressing.

Yeah, lets bitch and mock imperfections when an entire city is being rendered in 3D, while the competition is using flat jpegs, thats not petty or anything. Just imagine the bandwidth costs Apple is incurring for this compared to flat tiles. Its insanely ambitious. 

This.

• Reply 174 of 180
  • Reply 175 of 180
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Niemritz View Post

This video sums up Apple Maps...

http://www.popscreen.com/v/74p57/BANNED-iOS-6-Maps-Ad

Yeah, back in reality...

90% of iPhone 5 users 'don't have a problem' with Apple maps, while 3.2% say it might affect future buying decisions. 3%. 

http://changewaveresearch.com/

http://searchengineland.com/survey-iphone-owners-generally-not-affected-by-maps-issue-135994

As predicted, this whole thing has been predictably sensationalized with internet hysteria, helped out by all the trolls who have never used it in the 1st place and spend their days bashing Apple, back in the real world things are just a wee bit different. If I didn't know better from all the media attention this has gotten, I'd think this was an unuseable app. Yet it has a 90%+ satisfaction rate.  Go figure.

• Reply 176 of 180

The problem, and it drives me crazy, is that when you have no cellular data or wifi (hiking, etc), even if you preload a map area before you go on your trip, it refuses to show you your location in io6. That is, you would preload maps, and then could use them to navigate (on your own, not turn-by-turn) when you are out on the field because it should show you your little blue dot on the preloaded maps.

As GPS works without data, it seems crazy that this does not work. Other 3rd-party applications do this all the time, e.g. apps with offline maps of cities that superimpose your location as you walk around (without data).

I mean, if the compass shows you your lat. and long. no matter where in the world you are, regardless of data, why can't it then just then put the damned bue dot on the map? GPS works as we all know independent of data.

I am fairly certain that this worked up until io6. Anyone specifically remember differently?

• Reply 177 of 180
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by applee324 View Post

The problem, and it drives me crazy, is that when you have no cellular data or wifi (hiking, etc), even if you preload a map area before you go on your trip, it refuses to show you your location in io6. That is, you would preload maps, and then could use them to navigate (on your own, not turn-by-turn) when you are out on the field because it should show you your little blue dot on the preloaded maps.

As GPS works without data, it seems crazy that this does not work. Other 3rd-party applications do this all the time, e.g. apps with offline maps of cities that superimpose your location as you walk around (without data).

I mean, if the compass shows you your lat. and long. no matter where in the world you are, regardless of data, why can't it then just then put the damned bue dot on the map? GPS works as we all know independent of data.

I am fairly certain that this worked up until io6. Anyone specifically remember differently?

GPS location on the map appears to work fine on my iOS 6 devices with or without wifi or cellular data.

• Reply 178 of 180

i knew it used to work, and i wasn't going crazy. but i'm here in china now and it doesn't. on my iphone 4s iOS6, my girlfriend's 4 iOS6, and the iphones at the apple store in beijing. all of them do the same thing, no data, no blue dot. even though the compass tells you your coordinates.

i wonder if it's somehow blocked only in china.... government?

• Reply 179 of 180

I think Android users tend to troll more than Apple users. It's a different breed. Ironically, they remind me of Mac fanboys from the 90s! They feel such behavior is justified, because they are fighting an "evil empire". Remember when Mac fanboys were fighting the evil Microsoft empire? Alas, Guy Kawasaki did this in an ethical way, at least... The funny thing is -- all corporations just want to make money. There are no benevolent corporations. They're amoral. Not evil, not bad, but they don't care about morality. They only care about profits. They're accountable to stockholders. The fact that people shill and adore one company over the other speaks volumes about consumer culture.

If you go onto Apple's support site, look at all the people "complaining" about Apple Maps. They're mostly new users and go into no detail whatsoever. One person even complained that Apple Maps ruined his business, 5 days after it was released, because his business wasn't listed!

This is trolling. A lot of the more activist Android users resort to posing as Apple users. You can tell because they're either not specific or give incorrect information, demonstrating that they have not used the product at all.

Many of them are frustrated that Google made a maps app for iOS. Of course they would. It's all about making money through ad-based revenue. There are hundreds of millions of iOS users, a market far too big to ignore. If Phandroids ran Google, they would go bankrupt within a year.

Apple is mainstream now. Most Apple users just go about their lives, without the vitriol of smashing the competition. Heck, I like Google. I use gmail and docs. I think Android is valuable in that it keeps Apple on their toes. It also gives mobile technology consumers a choice. There needs to be some competition, or else innovation would be stifled. That said, I also think Apple has resorted to the lowest common denominator -- releasing beta-quality software because others do the same. They almost have to, otherwise they would have unimpressive features. For a long time, Google has been releasing products that aren't finished, and lets everyone be a beta tester. This allows them to create some innovative products that don't quite work "perfectly", but may be useful (and for that reason, probably should be released). Others have to follow suit. Apple's quality has gone down hill, and now they are calling features and apps like Siri and Maps "beta" versions. That's a relatively new thing for Apple. I personally prefer rock-solid technology to beta versions. I'm not too happy about this new direction...

One thing I detest about the fanboy wars is the tired old line that "Apple takes choice away from the users". This isn't true at all. Apple users have so many choices, more than any other platform. Heck, you can even run Windows (or Linux) on your Mac. You can't do it the other way around... I have so many choices as to apps, media, etc. Clearly more than any other platform. In fact, I don't even use the Music app on my iOS devices (which people often call iTunes, but it's called Music). I use the Amazon Cloud Player, because it plays my iTunes music and doesn't crash AirPlay!

• Reply 180 of 180
    Free offline maps with search, covering the entire world, and fits easily on most IOS devices.
    http://kmaps.co