WSJ: Apple orders over 10M 'iPad minis' for Q4

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
According to Wall Street Journal sources, Apple's Asian component suppliers have received orders to build more than 10 million so-called "iPad mini" tablets for the fourth quarter of 2012.

Black Rendering
iPad mini rendering. | Source: Martin Hajek

The news comes less than a week after another WSJ report said Apple had already begun production of the 7.85-inch device ahead of a possible October launch.

Recent rumblings from pundits and a number of supposed parts leaks hint at an imminent debut of Apple's much-rumored small form factor iPad, which is said to use a non-Retina display to keep costs down.

Last week, pictures of the purported tablet's headphone jack flex cable hit the web showing both black and white housings, possibly signaling that there will be only two iPad mini colorways. Another alleged leak showed off the unit's display assembly, black anodized rear shell and nano-SIM card tray, suggesting that Apple will release a version with cellular data capabilities.

The rumored tablet is expected to be a major boon for Apple as smaller form factor devices have gained popularity over the past months, the most notable offerings being Amazon's Kindle Fire HD and Google's Nexus 7.

It is rumored that Apple will be sending out invitations for an "iPad mini" special event on Oct. 10, suggesting an unveiling a week later and subsequent product release at the end of the month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Should be interesting to see how the new iPad (if rumours are true) pans out.
  • Reply 2 of 56

Is there any sort of rumor/confirmation about the keynote for this iPad and the macs?

• Reply 3 of 56
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Is there any sort of rumor/confirmation about the keynote for this iPad and the macs?

Rumour was the invitations would go out this wednesday, for an event 7 days later: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153040/

Random want: a new Dock to go with the new iPad, more Mountain-Liony :-) Before you call me crazy, remember iPad (1)?

• Reply 4 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Rumour was the invitations would go out this wednesday, for an event 7 days later: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153040/

Random want: a new Dock to go with the new iPad, more Mountain-Liony :-) Before you call me crazy, remember iPad (1)?

how is the current iOS Dock not Mountain-Liony?

• Reply 5 of 56
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    timmydax wrote: »

New dock would be cool- but that'll be an iOS thing- not a hardware deal. I just noticed mail has clouds on it- after looking at it for years. That doesn't make sense at all.... Oh well.

Still don't see the iPad mini coming out- only a handful of screenshots out there and most conflict each other. Outside of that its just a prototype someone else- no apple- designed.

Very interested to see what happens though- particularly in pricing- though again, I don't foresee anything happening until early-mid next year, when they can drop the iPod Touch prices.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

how is the current iOS Dock not Mountain-Liony?

It reflects- like lion/SL etc did. Mountain lion is just an aluminum look. At least that's what I assume he means.
  • Reply 7 of 56

I still find it hard to believe that Apple would be willing to add yet another kind of app to the store. iPhone, iPad, and now iPad mini apps? I'll believe it when I see it.

• Reply 8 of 56
    I still find it hard to believe that Apple would be willing to add yet another kind of app to the store. iPhone, iPad, and now iPad mini apps? I'll believe it when I see it.

If Apple does 1024x768, as many suspect it will, then it will be a none issue.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    andysol wrote: »
    It reflects- like lion/SL etc did. Mountain lion is just an aluminum look. At least that's what I assume he means.

It remains glass, according to Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    andysol wrote:
    I just noticed mail has clouds on it- after looking at it for years. That doesn't make sense at all.... Oh well.

Haha, get new glasses. I noticed that in 2007 and always loved the elegance of the iOS Mail icon. The clouds mean it's Mail but the wireless non-snail mail kind.
    andysol wrote:
    Still don't see the iPad mini coming out...
    Hope you're not a betting man. The rumours are less important than who talks about them. I'm 100% convinced at this juncture. And a October 17 event with a November 2 for sale date sounds awfully plausible, from an exact date standpoint.
  • Reply 11 of 56

It will run native iPad 2 resolution apps, like Technarchy said. 1024 x 768. In fact, I personally wouldn't be surprised to not only also see an updated new iPad at this event, but a possible discontinuation of iPad 2.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If its 1024 x 768 how does that compare to the Fire HD or Nexus 7? I would assume its going to be more expensive than both of those devices? What's the compelling feature(s) that would make it worth more $$? The iOS ecosystem? Is that enough?
  • Reply 13 of 56
    It doesn't add up that Apple would move 10 million of these units in less than two months, even if it is the holiday shopping season.

The market for this device is not a clear one. For puttering around the house, clearly the iPad has this device beat by quite a margin. On the go, there's the iPhone and soon the 4-inch Touch.

Children? Place the current iPad on the table next to this proposed iPad Mini. Guaranteed the average seven-year-old would gravitate to the current iPad model.

If you already have an iPhone and you already have an iPad, you're probably not a potential customer for this device.

Move along to early next year and it gets worse. Considering just how light the new iPhone has become, clearly Apple remains committed to making its products lighter. As such, we can expect a significant weight reduction for the iPad 4. That would further render this rumoured unit irrelevent.

The other impact of releasing this device is the long-term disappointment that purchasers are going to experience on account of the current iPad has set a standard that this proposed unit can't match. In a household with iPhones, Touchs and standard iPads, this device would end up all but ignored.

The other downside to all this is that if Apple replaces the iPad 2 with this unit, a good deal will have been taken off the table. The iPad 2 is easily the best bang for the buck in the tablet market. If instead, we get Apple's version of a 7-inch tablet at the $399 price point, to me that's not progress.

On the other hand, the Wall Street Jounal is a reputable publication and the noise regarding this rumoured unit has been deafening in recent days. So this misstep might well be on the agenda. Even when Jobs was in charge, mistakes were made. No reason to think current Apple management will get it right all the time.

I don't think consumers want a $399 tweener tablet from any manufacturer and the $299 price point is already covered by the new Touch. Yet here we are, days away from this curious product being unleashed or so it would seem. I just think 10 million units in two months is overly optimisitic and even if that many units got moved, in the long run it would be a bad thing. Consumers buying it to save a few bucks over getting the regular iPad would end up wishing they hadn't. The competition has been devastated by the 10-inch iPad and now Apple is going to give us a tablet more like competitors' failed products. Odd.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm curious how Apple markets this product where it doesn't come across as a response to the Fire or Nexus. With the iPod, iPhone, MacBook Air and original iPad you could argue Apple was coming into a market where many of the products sucked and providing a better product, better user experience. Outside of iOS what will differentiate the smaller iPad from Fire or Nexus? Yes I've no doubt the device will have Apple's great build quality and design aesthetic. But if people have been conditioned to think 7" tablets shouldn't cost more than $199 is build quality and design enough to get them to pay more? I guess there could be a market for people who own an iPod touch or iPhone but not an iPad and want a smaller form factor. But how many people who own an iPad already would buy a smaller one too? And people who don't own any iproducts, what will sway them to pay more for the device - especially if it has older technology (to keep the price point reasonable and not shrink margins much).
  • Reply 15 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm curious how Apple markets this product where it doesn't come across as a response to the Fire or Nexus. With the iPod, iPhone, MacBook Air and original iPad you could argue Apple was coming into a market where many of the products sucked and providing a better product, better user experience. Outside of iOS what will differentiate the smaller iPad from Fire or Nexus? Yes I've no doubt the device will have Apple's great build quality and design aesthetic. But if people have been conditioned to think 7" tablets shouldn't cost more than $199 is build quality and design enough to get them to pay more? I guess there could be a market for people who own an iPod touch or iPhone but not an iPad and want a smaller form factor. But how many people who own an iPad already would buy a smaller one too? And people who don't own any iproducts, what will sway them to pay more for the device - especially if it has older technology (to keep the price point reasonable and not shrink margins much).

Obviously, Apple wouldn't mention the Fire or Nexus. The marketing would be "You all love the iPad so much that we've decided to offer you another size".

As for the rest, Apple will be able to get a significant premium. People realize that the Fire and Nexus are cheap, crappy tablets. Many will pay a premium for a quality product.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I'll tell you who would want one and the market is HUGE
    SCHOOLS SCHOOLS SCHOOLS

If they announce this and it's not vapor then I'd order 75 for our local school
    Cheaper price point similar access win win

Some that already have a iPad 3 saying its a bit big and heavy

My 9 yr old would get one

Apple needs more price points
    I've been suggesting to people refurbished iPad 2
    I got one for my mother in law for 319

So I can see discontinuing the faster ipad2 variant for this

With the economy like it is lots of pressure for cheaper pads

And if apple does t do this kindle et al will suck them up

Also look at the iPod evolution and price points
    This allowed apple to just cream competition
  • Reply 17 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I don't think consumers want a $399 tweener tablet from any manufacturer and the $299 price point is already covered by the new Touch.

There is no reason why the iPad mini would not be priced at $299. First, the iPod touch line starts at $199. Second, the iPad (cellular) sells for $629 when the iPhone is $649. Third, they serve different purposes. Pocketable and portable are two different things.

• Reply 18 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Obviously, Apple wouldn't mention the Fire or Nexus. The marketing would be "You all love the iPad so much that we've decided to offer you another size".
    As for the rest, Apple will be able to get a significant premium. People realize that the Fire and Nexus are cheap, crappy tablets. Many will pay a premium for a quality product.
    I don't think Apple is just going to do a mini-iPad to simply compete with the Nexus, Fire, et al. I expect Apple to re-invent the 7" tablet space, just as they have with the iPhone and iPad in their respective categories. It will be compelling in a way those other Android-based tablets are not, and not simply based on quality and finish alone. This article sums up my rationale ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/16/jobs_on_ipad_mini/
  • Reply 19 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    New dock would be cool- but that'll be an iOS thing- not a hardware deal. I just noticed mail has clouds on it- after looking at it for years. That doesn't make sense at all.... Oh well.

Sure it does. Email is cloud computing. It's mail that gets stored and circulated via the internet. In fact, it's such a longstanding staple of cloud computing that we don't easily think of that way because the term "cloud computing" has evolved after it.

rogifan wrote: »
    If its 1024 x 768 how does that compare to the Fire HD or Nexus 7? I would assume its going to be more expensive than both of those devices? What's the compelling feature(s) that would make it worth more $$? The iOS ecosystem? Is that enough?

Both the 7" and 8.9" Fire HD devices best the rumoured 1024x768 display for the 7.85" device with 1280x800 and 1920x1200, respectively.

There is no reason why the iPad mini would not be priced at $299. First, the iPod touch line starts at $199. Second, the iPad (cellular) sells for $629 when the iPhone is $649. Third, they serve different purposes. Pocketable and portable are two different things.

edit: Missed a 'not' in your first sentence. I agree.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    rlowerlowe Posts: 21member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Haha, get new glasses. I noticed that in 2007 and always loved the elegance of the iOS Mail icon. The clouds mean it's Mail but the wireless non-snail mail kind.

Hope you're not a betting man. The rumours are less important than who talks about them. I'm 100% convinced at this juncture. And a October 17 event with a November 2 for sale date sounds awfully plausible, from an exact date standpoint.

Well said. Totally agree wiyh you.When WSJ spread a rumor, it's highly reliable.