'iPhone 5 fever' sweeps Hong Kong as mainland China awaits Apple's launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Stores in Hong Kong remain sold out of Apple's iPhone 5 as overwhelming demand continues. That's expected to spread soon to mainland China, as carrier China Unicom is said to be gearing up for the iPhone 5 launch.

The details come from analyst Brian White with Topeka Capital Markets, who is currently touring the region. He said all of the stores he has visited in Hong Kong were sold out of the iPhone 5, and described the city as having "iPhone 5 fever."

"At Apple's retail store, the iPhone 5 can be ordered online and a lottery process determines who is eligible for pickup at the store the next day," he wrote. "Based on our conversations, you might have a better shot at winning the lottery than getting the iPhone 5 the next day."

Meanwhile, China Unicom is said to have sold out completely of the iPhone 4S at some of its stores. That's because the carrier is looking to "avoid an inventory situation ahead of the iPhone 5 launch" in December, White said.

Unboxed

The iPhone has room to grow in China, as Apple's handset currently represents about 15 percent of the nation's smartphone market. The company is also addressing only about a third of the nation's subscriber base, China Unicom and China Telecom. A deal with China Mobile, which is the world's largest carrier with 688 million subscribers, has been rumored for years but never come to fruition.

The iPhone 5 launched in Hong Kong and 8 other countries on September 21. By December, the iPhone 5 will be available in a total of 100 countries with 240 carriers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30

No, this is wrong. They've "moved on" from the iPhone in Asia.

Right? Right?

• Reply 2 of 30
    This article is bs. How can someone come in from outside of HK and know what's happening locally in terms of sales.

In Hong Kong the only reason all Apple stores are sold out is because it is NOT FOR SALE! In the store. As the grey market last year spoil the normal way of purchasing an iPhone, there is a lottery system whereby you can only purchase an iPhone 5 this way. It's to deter the grey market buyers who tries with every release to purchase as many iPhones as they can and makes profit in between to sell to users in China for triple the price.

I don't think it's really selling hot in Hong Kong. On the trains every day I see only 4S or Samsung S3 or Note users. I rarely see someone with an iPhone 5.
  • Reply 3 of 30

Originally Posted by moustache View Post

I don't think it's really selling hot in Hong Kong. On the trains every day I see only 4S or Samsung S3 or Note users. I rarely see someone with an iPhone 5.

Been out for 17 days…

• Reply 4 of 30
    I am pretty sure the article lists the wrong date for availability in Hong Kong. I recall it launching on the 21st as part of the first wave.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    They shipped only a few thousend iPhones to China, to keep the demand artificially high, like they do it all the time!
  • Reply 6 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So the stock goes down.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    moustache wrote: »
    In Hong Kong the only reason all Apple stores are sold out is because it is NOT FOR SALE! In the store. As the grey market last year spoil the normal way of purchasing an iPhone, there is a lottery system whereby you can only purchase an iPhone 5 this way.

Well it is sold via the stores but you are correct that anyone just walking in will be told they are sold out since the lottery has taken all the units.

It's the same in the US right now at most of the stores. Personal pickup every night consumes the stock that comes in every day.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    ireland wrote: »
    So the stock goes down.

I can see it's at 700 again. This is the great time to buy.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Apple Hong Kong had to set up a lottery system to determine which of the millions of preorders to fulfill each day - clear evidence of how terrible the product is and how the brainwashed masses are being fooled by Apple into throwing away their hard earned cash on a something so inferior to (fill in the blank). image

Sorry, just been seeing way to many comments (on many sites) from folks who just don't get it and accuse any one of choosing to use an Apple branded product as somehow less than themselves because they chose to spend their hard earned cash on a product that is so clearly superior in every possible way that they maker's of those products come by every night to tuck them in a read them a bed time story about how the Big Bad Jobs won't ever take away the removable battery in their (fill in non-Apple product here). 

• Reply 10 of 30

First bird flu, now "iPhone 5 fever". Will Hong Kong ever be spared epidemics???

• Reply 11 of 30
    Hmm.

"Fever" in a story about Asia.

Hmm.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I can see it's at 700 again. This is the great time to buy.

You mean nearly 600.

• Reply 13 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Apple Hong Kong had to set up a lottery system to determine which of the millions of preorders to fulfill each day - clear evidence of how terrible the product is and how the brainwashed masses are being fooled by Apple into throwing away their hard earned cash on a something so inferior to (fill in the blank). image

Sorry, just been seeing way to many comments (on many sites) from folks who just don't get it and accuse any one of choosing to use an Apple branded product as somehow less than themselves because they chose to spend their hard earned cash on a product that is so clearly superior in every possible way that they maker's of those products come by every night to tuck them in a read them a bed time story about how the Big Bad Jobs won't ever take away the removable battery in their (fill in non-Apple product here). 

How true, so many companies were all over this when the first phone came out and said that alone will cause it to be a failure, only to see most new phones are going the same way, The fact a phone has a removable batteries today means it is a failure since it means you have to replace batteries during the day. No need to remove a battery if it last all day long.

• Reply 14 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean nearly 600.

Well according to that guy Kass Apple "topped" at 90!.... and then 130, and then in the 200's and then 300 and then....

:D

• Reply 15 of 30
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

People in Hong Kong have reported yellow heugh instead of purple on their cameras.

• Reply 16 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So the stock goes down.

Down from the recent high of $705.00

Those shorts are really doing an impressive hatchet job.

• Reply 17 of 30
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

People in Hong Kong have reported yellow heugh instead of purple on their cameras.

Didn't they tell you to never eat yellow-hued iphones?

• Reply 18 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Down from the recent high of $705.00

Those shorts are really doing an impressive hatchet job.

Don't you understand; Apple is doomed! This is just the middle of the end! The stock will plummet until even Nokia is laughing at its price!

• Reply 19 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't you understand; Apple is doomed! This is just the middle of the end! The stock will plummet until even Nokia is laughing at its price!

Heh...

Well, if it continues it's freefall, I may even be convinced to buy more.

• Reply 20 of 30
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Now they'll be able to take stunning photos of their protests against the mainland.