2012 Mac Mini Wish List?

1141516171820»

Comments

• Reply 381 of 393
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    dave92029 wrote: »
    I would like to buy a Mac Mini with the updated Ivy bridge chip set.
    So would a lot of people. It would be foolish to buy today's Mini, it is in need of an update.
    Any ideas when Apple might get around to updating this little beauty?
    This is about what 50% of this thread is about. An updated Mini should have come out by now, so people are really starting to wonder what is up at Apple.
    Does Apple always have to make a Big announcement about future product or do they just issue a press release and say that they have made the change over?

Thanks

Often these updates sneak in under the radar. What is most interesting right now is the total lack of rumors, I'd expect at least a few tidbits by now but in reality there has been nothing. Even iMac rumors are thin with everybody concentrated on the I-stuff.

With the long delays, especially with the iMac, I suspect that the updates are to be more that the run of the mill updates we have gotten in the last couple of years. I could be wrong but iMac certainly could use a total refactoring as could the Mini, the entire desktop line up is very stagnet and needs attention. So I'm hoping the entire desktop line up is about to be relaunched.
  • Reply 382 of 393
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What is most interesting right now is the total lack of rumors, I'd expect at least a few tidbits by now but in reality there has been nothing. So I'm hoping the entire desktop line up is about to be relaunched.

And if they're not, we'll know that Apple is on the way to not caring at all about their computers anymore.

• Reply 382 of 393
    Merged because simplicity. 

The Mini won't be redesigned, so it doesn't get an announcement on its own. Heck, the last redesign didn't even get anything but a silent update. The only time you'll ever see a Mac Mini at a future Apple event is as "and we're updating the Mac Mini today, too." after they talk about a redesigned iMac.

While I find this idea repulsive, the Mini gets no respect at Apple, you are right about past behavior at Apple. It is really sad because the Mini has potential and isn't a bad idea for an entry level machine. A little promotion on Apples part would do wonders for getting the word out to the public. To be perfectly honest with you I'm not to sure the public at large even knows that the Mini exists. Well a good percentage anyways.

Really Apple, throw a few bucks the Minis (or its replacement) way for marketing and of course engineering. As an Apple customer it is frustrating to see the Mini treated so poorly.
  • Reply 384 of 393

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is really sad because the Mini has potential and isn't a bad idea for an entry level machine. A little promotion on Apples part would do wonders for getting the word out to the public. Really Apple, throw a few bucks the Minis (or its replacement) way for marketing and of course engineering. As an Apple customer it is frustrating to see the Mini treated so poorly.

Booyah. The Mini needs to be so aggressive as to be unquestionably the best desktop computer under $1000, bar NONE.

• Reply 385 of 393
    And if they're not, we'll know that Apple is on the way to not caring at all about their computers anymore.

Oh they do care, it is just that they have focused on laptops. Frankly I can understand a strong laptop line up as that is where most of the market is and that also explains Apples many models of laptops. However that to me is no excuse to totally ignore the desktop the way they have. The market may not be there to support a lot of different desktop models but the ones you do have should be kept up technology wise. Frankly Apple has fallen flat on its face here and has neglected the desktop at a time when they have the cash to support the engineering.

I will be the first to admit desktop sales are tanking industry wide, the trend is pretty obvious. Apple however only really has two desktop models that being the iMac and the Mini. If Apple, with all of its resources, can't keep those two models up to spec then there are problems in Cupertino. Might I suggest a lack of vision.

As a side note it has been suggested elsewhere that in 5-8 years people won't have desktops or laptops. The computing world will have moved to handheld devices similar to todays I devices. I'm not sure I buy that. However I do know one thing, buying a desktop PC isn't as easy as it use to be. Many stores that you walk into these days have desktop hardware hidden off to the side or not on display at all. For somebody like me that has hobbies that include robotics and machine controls, you are almost forced to go online to order your stuff. Finding a technically competent local vendor these days is a difficult task.
  • Reply 386 of 393
    Booyah. The Mini needs to be so aggressive as to be unquestionably the best desktop computer under $1000, bar NONE.

Frankly I don't think that is possible in a box the size of the Mini. You can get an awful lot in a large box for under $1000. The simple issue with RAM expansion will allow any computer in an ATX box to be better just based on RAM capacity.

Now that isn't a bad thing, today's Mini can handle plenty of RAM for the average Joe. It just highlights that the box the Mini is in compromises its usefulness. Now given the box it is in the Mini is one of the best computers in its class. There isn't much in the way of competition for the Mini. The value equation for today's Mini though is going south fast, and needs that update to hold its position.
  • Reply 387 of 393
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I might be looking into getting an iMac either from last year or this year if this discrete mini graphics aren't sufficient.

Since my topic in current Mac hardware went unanswered, I'll ask in here.

How good is the 6750M with 512 MB compared to the 6770M with 512 MB compared to the 6970M with 1 GB?

I want to play Gauntlet flawlessly and I am not sure if a GT 640M will cut it if they only put in 256 MB or even 512 MB?
  • Reply 388 of 393
    I'm not much of a gamer so I really can't comment from that perspective. Your best bet is to get online and see what the manufacture recommends, avoiding what they call minimal systems.

As far as AMD goes you want to buy into their Southern Islands platform to get the latest technology. As to which part number is which and which has the newest cores I can't help there.

My general impression is that 512 MB is a minimal configuration for many software packages that try to leverage the GPU. I wouldn't even bother with 256MB especially if you expect to keep the computer for long. So 512MB would be a minimal,configuration even if you aren't gaming. There is just to much software out there leveraging the GPU to not consider GPU RAM to be Important. The longer you expect to keep the machine the more GPU RAM it should have beyond whatever your minimal needs are.
    winter wrote: »
    I might be looking into getting an iMac either from last year or this year if this discrete mini graphics aren't sufficient.
    Since my topic in current Mac hardware went unanswered, I'll ask in here.
    How good is the 6750M with 512 MB compared to the 6770M with 512 MB compared to the 6970M with 1 GB?
    I want to play Gauntlet flawlessly and I am not sure if a GT 640M will cut it if they only put in 256 MB or even 512 MB?

Best to double check with the publishers. This should give you an idea as to a minimal configuration. Whatever you do don't buy until after the new machines launch. If for nothing else this should lower the price of year olds on the refurb store.

The other thing here is that the new Macs cold launch with completely different chips. The GPUs could be anything including new releases from AMD or NVidia.
  • Reply 389 of 393

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/262476727/xi3-help-us-usher-in-the-post-pc-era

• Reply 390 of 393

And there's a reason they don't have anywhere near the money they want.

• Reply 391 of 393

Yeah, they're mainly focused on businesses/government rather than your average consumer. I'm not sure why they're doing kickstarter though, maybe just for additional funding. They already have plenty of money, and there are already companies using the product.

I'm tempted to get one and put Mountain Lion on it, and then I come back to my senses and realize that I'm still waiting for the new iMac, whenever it comes out.

Though it sure is an interesting design.

• Reply 392 of 393
    Honestly I've not seen such bull crap on a web site in years. You have to wonder why they are on Kickstarter if they have been in business since 2002. Further the whole feel of the web site linked leaves me with the impression they are fishing for suckers. I'm also perplexed by their indication they got a patent on a computer made of multiple boards.

If all you are looking for is a small form factor PC I have to believe there are better solutions out there. There are certainly companies out there with out all of the BS found on the linked site.
    fishyesque wrote: »
  • Reply 393 of 393
    Don't bother, is suspect that the hardware is ATOM based as such performance would suck badly. I get that for the suggested power draw and the clock rates offered.
    fishyesque wrote: »
    Yeah, they're mainly focused on businesses/government rather than your average consumer. I'm not sure why they're doing kickstarter though, maybe just for additional funding. They already have plenty of money, and there are already companies using the product.

I'm tempted to get one and put Mountain Lion on it, and then I come back to my senses and realize that I'm still waiting for the new iMac, whenever it comes out.

Though it sure is an interesting design.