T-Mobile reportedly stocking iPhone 5 compatible nano-SIM cards

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Less than one month after Apple's iPhone 5 went on sale through official U.S. partner carriers AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, the nation's fourth-largest wireless company T-Mobile has reportedly taken shipment of nano-SIM cards capable of bringing the hot-selling handset to the telecom's network.

T-Mobile nano-SIM
T-Mobile's iPhone 5-ready nano-SIM card. | Source: TmoNews

According to T-Mobile blog TmoNews, the iPhone 5-ready nano-SIM cards started showing up at the carrier's stores on Saturday, allowing unlocked versions of the handset to be activated on T-Mobile's HPSA+ network. The appearance of the nano-SIM cards comes as a bit of a surprise, as the first batch of chips were expected to arrive later this month.

While Apple does not sell any iteration of the iPhone to T-Mobile, the newest version of the smartphone supports the telecom's 4G HSPA+ and LTE bandwidths, which are being built out across the country. This means any unlocked AT&T or Verizon iPhone 5 will recognize and operate on T-Mobile's network, including unlocked units sold directly from Apple.

Shortly after launching the handset in September, Apple revealed U.S. pricing for out-of-contract, or factory unlocked, iPhone 5s would be $649, $749 and $849 for the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB versions, respectively. Non-contract units purchased from AT&T and Verizon would carry comparable prices.

Unlike the micro-SIM card used in last year's iPhone 4S, supply of the iPhone 5's nano-SIM card is somewhat strained as Apple's device is the first smartphone in the world to use the newly-minted standard.

In June, the European Telecommunications Standards Institute chose Apple's nano-SIM design to be the official fourth form factor (4FF) SIM card, with the design beating out a rival proposal from RIM and Motorola to become the successor of the micro-SIM.

The nano-SIM is 40 percent smaller than the third-generation micro-SIM architecture, and was supposedly needed to maximize space in the iPhone 5's cramped uni-body chassis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Which US iPhone supports T-Mobile USA LTE operating bands?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

The ATT version, I think.  The Verizon is unlocked and can pick up GSM but it won't do T-Mobile's LTE, when they get it, from what I read.  Someone elaborate if I am wrong

• Reply 3 of 21

Cramped? Poor choice of words...

• Reply 4 of 21
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Is it that the iPhone 5 comes unlocked when you sign up on a contract unlike the iPhone 4 and 4s?  I know it is unlocked when you buy it for the full purchase price.  I thought there was an article here that mentioned it would be unlocked automatically when you sign up on a contract.

• Reply 5 of 21
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Is it that the iPhone 5 comes unlocked when you sign up on a contract unlike the iPhone 4 and 4s?  I know it is unlocked when you buy it for the full purchase price.  I thought there was an article here that mentioned it would be unlocked automatically when you sign up on a contract.

The Verizon iPhone 5 is GSM unlocked whether you buy it on-contract or off-contract. The AT&T iPhone 5 is GSM locked to AT&T network. I've read here that you can buy it from Apple Stores at full price if you don't want to sign new contract with AT&T but I called Apple yesterday and they have told me you need to sign a new contract when you buy it from them! I know some people who bought AT&T iPhone 5 off-contract but Apple reps said that's not possible.

I know you can buy it from Verizon (online or at the Verizon stores) unlocked and without contract for full price. The catch is that you will need to activate it, which I believe means $36 activation fee + at least one month of service with them.

• Reply 6 of 21
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nasserae wrote: »
    The Verizon iPhone 5 is GSM unlocked whether you buy it on-contract or off-contract. The AT&T iPhone 5 is GSM locked to AT&T network. I've read here that you can buy it from Apple Stores at full price if you don't want to sign new contract with AT&T but I called Apple yesterday and they have told me you need to sign a new contract when you buy it from them! I know some people who bought AT&T iPhone 5 off-contract but Apple reps said that's not possible.

It was possible to buy the AT&T iPhone 4S off contract from Apple for the full list price in the U.S.. It is not yet possible to buy the iPhone 5 that way - although that is probably due to the overwhelming demand rather than a change in policy. Once supply starts to catch up, I expect that they'll offer unlocked phones again. Of course, in many countries, you can buy unlocked phones by law - but that creates additional complexity.
  • Reply 7 of 21

it would be nice if apple offers unlocked phone network

• Reply 8 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post

it would be nice if apple offers unlocked phone network

They'd have to support all phones from all manufacturers. They don't want to do that.

• Reply 9 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    They'd have to support all phones from all manufacturers. They don't want to do that.

All unlocked phones for a particular network architecture, not all phones as that would require supporting all architectures.

But that's not even the biggest reason it would make it infeasible for Apple to tackle.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Will also work on Walmarts 50 buck a month network which beats all the others.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    core2core2 Posts: 49member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

The ATT version, I think.  The Verizon is unlocked and can pick up GSM but it won't do T-Mobile's LTE, when they get it, from what I read.  Someone elaborate if I am wrong

The Apple iPhone will only work on LTE carriers with an arrangement with Apple, after pulling the OS apart in the last iPad LTE, Apple disables the LTE option in the default carrier package so unless there is a package (which is determined by the IMSI of the SIM), it won't work even if it supports the bands.  It won't work on LTE unless Apple adds the configuration, of course when the jailbreak comes out , then ones that would be jailbroken would be able to be reconfigured.  The new iPhone will work however on TMO's 3G network on the PCS band , the same as the iPhone 4 does.

• Reply 12 of 21

Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

Will also work on Walmarts 50 buck a month network which beats all the others.

Straight Talk isn't Wal-Mart itself (just exclusive to them for now, also available online standalone), and it's $45 a month (unless you pay a year at a time, and then it's $40) for unlimited/unlimited/2GB. 

• Reply 13 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Straight Talk isn't Wal-Mart itself (just exclusive to them for now, also available online standalone), and it's $45 a month (unless you pay a year at a time, and then it's $40) for unlimited/unlimited/2GB. 

Rodent was talking about the T-Mobile nano SIMs working with the WalMart plans which are powered by T-Mobile.

So this is great news for the folks who want to use the iPhone 5 on their WalMart plans.

• Reply 14 of 21
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    The three, local T-Mumble retail stores here in SoCal (Mission Viejo) all have the Nano-Sim's in stock. I visited them all today, Sunday 10/7/2012.... Now all we need is some unlocked 's !!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 21
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Of course, in many countries, you can buy unlocked phones by law - but that creates additional complexity.

Just curious; what complexity? Do you perhaps mean CDMA/GSM and all those different bands across the globe? I ordered from Apple's website, and will come unlocked here in The Netherlands.

Might be unusable on CDMA when I'm in the States, but the US has GSM as well; never had a problem.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    My three local T-Mumble stores (SoCal) in my area had received stock of Nano-Sims late Saturday. They are in stock... ALL we need now is some un-locked iPhone 5's from Apple !!!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I've read on some other forums that if you buy the AT&T at full price and connect to iTunes it'll show as unlocked. Not sure if there is any truth to that though
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Another quick query... Does ANYONE have a clue when Apple is going to start selling the UNLOCKED IPHONE 5 in their retail stores ? thanks in advance for the assist...
  • Reply 19 of 21

Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

Another quick query... Does ANYONE have a clue when Apple is going to start selling the UNLOCKED IPHONE 5 in their retail stores ? thanks in advance for the assist...

Apparently they already are. Can't confirm. Same with Verizon and AT&T.

• Reply 20 of 21
    Solavei offers $49 p/mth - by sharing the deal you can actually reduce that payment to free or better. I'm new to the community, not sure if I'm allowed to give you the website for more info or not. @rodent above mentioned Walmart, hence the reason I mentioned Solavei. www.solavei.com/wendy.costa we'll see what happens. So excited that iphones will work with T-mobile. THAT is excellent news :)