'iPhone 5 fever' sweeps Hong Kong as mainland China awaits Apple's launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    iPhone 5 is being supplied in volume to thousands of carrier shops all around Hong Kong. It might be a little tough getting one at Smartone, being the only carrier supporting 4G LTE at launch, but you can literally walk into any 3HK shop and walk out with an iPhone 5 in ten minutes. And 3HK will be fully 800MHz LTE ready by the end of the year.

The iPhone 5 is far from being "sold out" in Hong Kong. The carrier free iPhone 5 is in highly limited demand, but at least it's sold here, unlike in the US.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    tonton wrote: »
    The iPhone 5 is far from being "sold out" in Hong Kong. The carrier free iPhone 5 is in highly limited demand, but at least it's sold here, unlike in the US.

What do you mean? Isn't the carrier-free being sold in Apple stores in the US (not online)?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    tonton wrote: »
    iPhone 5 is being supplied in volume to thousands of carrier shops all around Hong Kong. It might be a little tough getting one at Smartone, being the only carrier supporting 4G LTE at launch, but you can literally walk into any 3HK shop and walk out with an iPhone 5 in ten minutes. And 3HK will be fully 800MHz LTE ready by the end of the year.

Also, I thought all iPhones sold in HK were unlocked?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AIA View Post

What do you mean? Isn't the carrier-free being sold in Apple stores in the US (not online)?

Supposedly, but I haven't heard anything hard about that yet.

• Reply 25 of 30

If the top three carriers China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom all offer iPhone5... brace for a round of sales records.... living in China for many years, apple fever is high behind the great wall.

• Reply 26 of 30
    aia wrote: »
    Also, I thought all iPhones sold in HK were unlocked?
    They are, but except for the Apple Store lottery described above, all iPhone 5s are sold either on contract, or on the gray market for double the retail price. You're not locked by hardware, but you'll be locked into a 24 month contract anyway.

I extended my contract at 3 for 25 months (+1 month for Liquipel) so I've sold my soul to 3 until November 2015!

The ETF is the full amount due on contract, so it doesn't make any sense to get a phone from one carrier for use on another.
  • Reply 27 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Supposedly, but I haven't heard anything hard about that yet.

This poster claims to have purchased one.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152924/non-contract-at-t-iphone-5s-can-reportedly-be-unlocked-via-itunes#post_2199464

• Reply 28 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

They are, but except for the Apple Store lottery described above, all iPhone 5s are sold either on contract, or on the gray market for double the retail price. You're not locked by hardware, but you'll be locked into a 24 month contract anyway.

I extended my contract at 3 for 25 months (+1 month for Liquipel) so I've sold my soul to 3 until November 2015!

The ETF is the full amount due on contract, so it doesn't make any sense to get a phone from one carrier for use on another.

Got it, so the unsubsidized phones are still in short supply.

• Reply 29 of 30
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    moustache wrote: »
    This article is bs. How can someone come in from outside of HK and know what's happening locally in terms of sales.
    In Hong Kong the only reason all Apple stores are sold out is because it is NOT FOR SALE! In the store. As the grey market last year spoil the normal way of purchasing an iPhone, there is a lottery system whereby you can only purchase an iPhone 5 this way. It's to deter the grey market buyers who tries with every release to purchase as many iPhones as they can and makes profit in between to sell to users in China for triple the price.
    I don't think it's really selling hot in Hong Kong. On the trains every day I see only 4S or Samsung S3 or Note users. I rarely see someone with an iPhone 5.

Excuse me "Mr. Hong Kong Expert" but it is only the Apple stores that have the lottery system. The carriers and other partners don't and they have been sold too. Did you maybe stop to think that the reason you're not seeing them is because they are sold out and have only been on sale a few days? Duh!
  • Reply 30 of 30
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 230member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wok Toss View Post

If the top three carriers China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom all offer iPhone5... brace for a round of sales records.... living in China for many years, apple fever is high behind the great wall.

totally agree, i can say most of my suppliers who are Chinese are using iPhones mostly… everywhere you go in china in downtown place you will find iPhones… can't wait for iPhone 5 launching on china mobile as ifixit's teardown shows that qualcomm chip is having td-scdma radio for 3g service.