EarPods included with Apple's new iPod touch, iPod nano still lack remote and mic

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As with previous iPods, Apple's newly released fifth-generation iPod touch and seventh-generation iPod nano ship with a special set of headphones that lack integrated controls and do not have a built-in microphone.

The details come from Japanese blog Macotakara, which posted hands-on videos with both the new iPod nano and the new iPod touch. Apple began shipping both devices to customers on Tuesday.

Previously, the iPod touch and iPod nano also shipped with Apple Earphones that lacked the microphone and controls. However, Apple recently redesigned its headphones in the form of the new EarPods, and the unboxing videos posted on Tuesday were the first indication that Apple would make special EarPods for its new iPod lineup.

The new, tweaked EarPods come in a slightly different packaging than is found in the iPhone 5. EarPods that include the remote and microphone come in a reusable plastic case with a cover, while the lesser EarPods included with the new iPods come in more of a temporary packaging without a lid.

In his video demonstration, author "danbo" did show that the integrated microphone found on the full-featured EarPods does work with the iPod nano for recording voice memos. In addition, the volume controls included on the headphones are also compatible with both media players.

On its website, Apple notes in the "Tech Specs" sections for each product that the iPhone 5 ships with "Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic" as well as "storage and travel case," while the iPod touch and iPod nano ship only with "Apple EarPods." In contrast, the iPod shuffle and iPod classic ship with Apple's legacy Earphones.

In addition to the EarPod headphones, the iPod touch ships with the new wrist strap accessory in a color that matches the device itself. It also includes a new Lightning cable for syncing and charging.

The iPod nano does not have a wrist strap accessory, but it does include the basic, button-less EarPods as well as a Lightning cable.

Earpods

Apple's redesigned EarPod headphones were unveiled by the company last month along with the iPhone 5 and new iPods. The company has said its new headphones have been redesigned for greater comfort and sound quality.

The new EarPods are also available for purchase separately. The $29 EarPods sold by Apple include the remote and mic functionality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    As with previous iPods, Apple's newly released fifth-generation iPod touch and seventh-generation iPod nano ship with a special set of headphones that lack integrated controls and do not have a built-in microphone.

They also lack a back massager, parachute, and supercharger.

I realize that Americans are getting lazier year after year, but is it really too much trouble to reach your iPod to switch songs?
  • Reply 2 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They also lack a back massager, parachute, and supercharger.

I realize that Americans are getting lazier year after year, but is it really too much trouble to reach your iPod to switch songs?

Troll much? It's the fact that Apple is going out of their way to cripple their new Earpods to make people buy another pair.  For example people who use their iPod Touch for phone calls now have to buy another set of Earpods right out the gate.  They don't even sell Earpods without a remote and mic.  You don't get any more obvious than that.

• Reply 3 of 61

bummer.

• Reply 4 of 61
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stromos View Post

Troll much? It's the fact that Apple is going out of their way to cripple their new Earpods to make people buy another pair.  For example people who use their iPod Touch for phone calls now have to buy another set of Earpods right out the gate.  They don't even sell Earpods without a remote and mic.  You don't get any more obvious than that.

The remote is not so much about switching songs but about stopping and starting things, in particular podcasts. When I run errants and interact with a person, I always stop the music/podcast (and take one headphone out of my ear), both to give the person my attention and to not miss part of the podcast while I am talking to somebody. Same when I sit down in public transport to read something, stopping the podcast and restarting it when getting up again is much easier with a remote.

• Reply 5 of 61
    Omg! Apple is so gay! I was hoping to finally get a remote on my new 5th gen iPod Touch
  • Reply 6 of 61
    ortort Posts: 39member
    Yeah, this is Apple at it's worst.

There used to be a time when you got all sorts of stuff in the box when you bought something like a $300 iPod. They are the most profitable company on the planet, and they keep cheaping out on stuff like this.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

... Apple is going out of their way to cripple their new Earpods to make people buy another pair.  For example people who use their iPod Touch for phone calls now have to buy another set of Earpods right out the gate.  ...

You use something for a non-standard use, and then you yell about having to buy an accessory to do that?  Hmmm... 

I have also found that to use my house as a spaceship I also had to buy rocket tubes "right out of the gate."  I was so pissed ... 

• Reply 8 of 61
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

You call him a troll and then use the word "cripple" just because it doesn't come with a feature you wish it did? This is not crippling. Crippling would be if they included the headset and remote, and disabled it until you paid them to "unlock" it. Saying people are using it as a phone isn't helping your case either. People using it as a poor man's iPhone should be surprised that they have to pay a little extra to do so, especially given that it costs $400 less than an iPhone. It is an iPod, a music player, at its core. Your argument comes down to "Apple should give out a $29 accessory for free because they want to pay Apple $400 less." They should be happy they can use the headset mic at all. They're still saving $371.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The remote is not so much about switching songs but about stopping and starting things, in particular podcasts. When I run errants and interact with a person, I always stop the music/podcast (and take one headphone out of my ear), both to give the person my attention and to not miss part of the podcast while I am talking to somebody. Same when I sit down in public transport to read something, stopping the podcast and restarting it when getting up again is much easier with a remote.

And that's why Apple sells the accessory. You want a little extra functionality, pay a little extra.

• Reply 9 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Remember when people whined about the iPod touch because they knew how to use their older click-wheel iPods in their pocket?

They'd just complain that the remote and mic offer WAY too much convenience instead.

…cripple…

Don't be so sure about their intentions.

For example people who use their iPod Touch for phone calls…

Put bluntly, Apple couldn't care less about you people using a device for something it was never designed when they also sell a device designed to specifically fulfill this action. You don't have any argument in this regard.

They don't even sell Earpods without a remote and mic.  You don't get any more obvious than that.

The lack of recording software on the iPod shuffle and nano removes the 'obvious' from the equation.

Originally Posted by ort View Post

They are the most profitable company on the planet…

Yeah, that's not true by a LONG shot.

• Reply 10 of 61
    It's EarPodgate!
  • Reply 11 of 61
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ort View Post

Yeah, this is Apple at it's worst.

There used to be a time when you got all sorts of stuff in the box when you bought something like a $300 iPod. They are the most profitable company on the planet, and they keep cheaping out on stuff like this.

And what would all of that "stuff" be?

• Reply 12 of 61

I don't understand that if you can swipe right to get to the home screen, why have a home button at all?

• Reply 13 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You use something for a non-standard use, and then you yell about having to buy an accessory to do that?  Hmmm... 

I have also found that to use my house as a spaceship I also had to buy rocket tubes "right out of the gate."  I was so pissed ... 

How is voip on a wifi device that can run Skype non-standard use?  It also comes with Facetime right out the box. 

The iPod Touch comes with a voice recorder as well.  Acting like having a remote for a MUSIC PLAYER is something that should cost extra is a bit of a stretch.  I used the word cripple because they actually went out of their way to manufacture Earpods with limited functionality that they don't even sell.  Poor man's iPhone is also a stretch.  I have plenty of money for an iPhone.  It's called intelligence you should try it.  Why would I pay 1500 for a phone when I have wifi 98% of my day.  Sounds like a complete waste of money to me.  I can do all my email, most of my text messaging, and use apps like online banking all for a fraction of the cost of the iPhone.

• Reply 14 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The bottom-rung target customer for the touch is probably a kid, who can be counted on to put the remote/mic switch in his mouth and chew on it absent-mindedly.

Having more kid-proof EarPods is actually Apple thinking ahead for parents. Anyone older who wants to have more finessed controls can pay the $30.

Edit: The headline for this story is sirring up a controversy where there shouldn't be any by using the word "still."

Thinking about this a little more, I have to say OF COURSE the iPods don't come with the remote switch with mic, they're meant FOR KIDS!!!

Can anyone here seriously argue with this?
  • Reply 15 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    stromos wrote: »
    Troll much?

No. Actually, I don't troll at all.

Pointing out that these are free earbuds that have respectable performance at their stated job (playing music) even though they don't offer every conceivable option that someone might require is not trolling. It's just pointing out how ridiculous the Whiners and Haters have become.
  • Reply 16 of 61

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

How is voip on a wifi device that can run Skype non-standard use?  It also comes with Facetime right out the box.

Well, to be fair, the iPod Touch does have a built-in mic. Does the Nano? If not, then it's flabbergasting how they could ship the Nano with voice recording software, and require users to buy a microphone just to use it. Just saying...

• Reply 17 of 61
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    I am REALLY surprised that the iPod nano does not come with earliest with volume control.
    I didn't know they made separate earbuds.

Does the nano have volume buttons?
  • Reply 18 of 61

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Does the nano have volume buttons?

• Reply 19 of 61

The Nano does have volume buttons.

• Reply 20 of 61

Sure, a fully-featured set of EarPods would be nice. But I think this is how Apple looks at it - a microphone is a necessity on a phone but not on a media player. Apple typically includes features that are necessary. So this is a matter of principle rather than cheaping out. Just my two cents.