Apple 'iPad mini' to be Wi-Fi only, report says

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of a rumored production stoppage of cases designed for Apple's rumored 7.85-inch tablet, a separate report from the UK claims the so-called "iPad mini" will ship without cellular data capabilites.

iPad mini
Alleged iPad mini rear shell. | Source: UkranianiPhone.com

Citing industry sources, The Guardian on Tuesday reported that the purported small form factor iPad will not be offered in a 3G-capable version, countering multiple pictures of "leaked" parts clearly showing the tell-tale black plastic RF window implemented on Apple's cellular-connected tablets.

The move is said to be a cost-saving measure as 3G wireless connectivity would require an additional up-front cost in added cellular components, as well as a monthly fee for data access.

Although speculation, it seems highly suspect that Apple would deny users of the "lower-end" tablet the option of cellular connectivity, though it remains to be seen how the company plans to market the device.

The same sources also told the publication that Apple is likely to release an updated version of the third-generation iPad, which will adopt the iPhone 5's baseband chip to offer support for the UK's Everything Everywhere 4G network. Apple's new Lightning connector is also likely to be added to the full-sized iPad, these people said, further expanding the new plug's implementation across the company's mobile device lines.

Also said to be coming in the refreshed 9.7-inch iPad is an iteration of Apple's A6 system on a chip, which made its debut in the iPhone 5 last month. It was reported last week that an unknown iPad running an A6 series processor was found in a developer's access logs, possibly pointing to internal testing of the purported device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I think this is the most disinformation about a product we've seen.

Good job, Tim. You've successfully doubled down.

• Reply 2 of 41
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Great for corporations, government institutions, hospitals, schools, etc., wanting to entrust security solely within their own closed-loop networks and making it impossible for people to connect via their cell carrier.

However, I doubt this will be solely for Wifi. I see the same Wifi/Cell structure but I see those mobile workers buying the wifi only in places like hospitals, Power Plants, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also said to be coming in the refreshed 9.7-inch iPad is an iteration of Apple's A6 system on a chip, which made its debut in the iPhone 5 last month. It was reported last week that an unknown iPad running an A6 series processor was found in a developer's access logs, possibly pointing to internal testing of the purported device.

The developer log thing possibly could answer the question if it could be determined that the unreleased device was using an AT&T IP address at any time. Surely they must be testing that feature if it is going to be supported. I need some honey pot website that would attract iPad mini testers so I can look through the logs. image

• Reply 4 of 41
    WiFi ONLY? #FAIL
  • Reply 5 of 41
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    WiFi ONLY? #FAIL
    Yup, just like the iPod Touch -- NOT

While I believe this tablet will eventually replace the touch, and as such the lack of cellular connections would be negligible to sales, I don't believe the reasons stated in the article are valid. Apple charges a premium for such connectivity and the space is likely already designed into the logic board. The cost is entirely picked up by the consumer. Perhaps Apple will delay the cellular models by a month and then only in the US for a few
    More months, but ultimately there is no reason not to offer it on release, at least for he reasons stated in the article ...
  • Reply 6 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    More stock manipulation, eh?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Hmm. With the iPad, cellular was bundled with GPS.

If the "mini" comes without cellular, I'm down with that. Never used it on my original iPad, either.

If the "mini" doesn't have GPS... not the least interested. The thing has to know where it is or a whole swath of astronomical applications won't work; I use the iPad out in the field all the time.

Be interesting to see just what this machine is. And the price, of course.

Hoping for an IR emitter too, a smaller iPad would make a great remote for a home theater system, just as the Ipad does for non-IR control. My HT hardware has its own web server, but IR control is the way to go for most systems and auxiliary devices.

• Reply 8 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Hmm. With the iPad, cellular was bundled with GPS.

If the "mini" comes without cellular, I'm down with that. Never used it on my original iPad, either.

If the "mini" doesn't have GPS... not the least interested. The thing has to know where it is or a whole swath of astronomical applications won't work; I use the iPad out in the field all the time.

At least up till now Apple only offers gps with cellular-equipped iDevices.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4995

• Reply 9 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

This makes sense. I woudn't be surprised if they had cellular model down the line. For launch, they'd like to simplify the lineup and reduce variables. 

• Reply 10 of 41
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Wow. I'm really sorry to see that AI would print ANYTHING that came from the Guardian.
    There couldn't possibly be a more unreliable source. (for anything)
  • Reply 11 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This makes sense. I woudn't be surprised if they had cellular model down the line. For launch, they'd like to simplify the lineup and reduce variables. 

I think they know what the variables are, at least in ratio, as they have three years of iPad sales data to rely on. Even the first iPad had cellular and it was a completely unknown entity at the time. It makes no sense to me to not have it as an option and I certainly would not buy one without it.

• Reply 12 of 41
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Yet another reason to not buy this Kindle/Nexus/Nook clone.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    When I first heard the rumors (read them, actually) about an iPad mini, I thought.."ugh..why?" But I've rethought it. In fact, I think I'd actually buy one before a larger iPad. My issue with the iPad is I can't justify the cost. I would use it for an e-reader and some light surfing. I don't travel enough to use it for many movies, games, etc. And if I want to work, I really want my actual laptop.

Either way, I wouldn't get a cell-equipped model. I'll take a mini for $249, please!
  • Reply 14 of 41
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Yup, just like the iPod Touch -- NOT

While I believe this tablet will eventually replace the touch, and as such the lack of cellular connections would be negligible to sales, I don't believe the reasons stated in the article are valid. Apple charges a premium for such connectivity and the space is likely already designed into the logic board. The cost is entirely picked up by the consumer. Perhaps Apple will delay the cellular models by a month and then only in the US for a few

More months, but ultimately there is no reason not to offer it on release, at least for he reasons stated in the article ...

I have a touch. I used to carry it around with me all the time, but invariably found myself wanting information while walking down a street and being unable to get it because there was no free WiFi nearby. Today I bumped into an old friend on the bus and was able to update his contact information so having the touch with me was convenient, but the information didn't flow to any of my other devices so it might as well have been written in ink on the back of my hand.

Without at least the option for cellular data the touch, even the new one with its decent camera, just isn't appealing to me. However I'm not the target market for the touch. My desire for a pocketable information appliance doesn't fit Apple's business model.

The tablet is a completely different market and I believe, as you do, that Apple will have a cellular option for those who can't or won't tether to their phones.

• Reply 15 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

At least up till now Apple only offers gps with cellular-equipped iDevices.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4995

Umm.  I am 99% that my wife's non-3G First-Gen iPad has a GPS locator in it.  In fact, I am looking at its location now on iCloud's find my device feature.

• Reply 16 of 41

Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post

Umm.  I am 99% that my wife's non-3G First-Gen iPad has a GPS locator in it.

I'm 100% sure it doesn't, bar none. Three trillion dollar bet.

It has Akamai Wi-Fi mapping.

• Reply 17 of 41
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

IF the rumors are true Apple will announce an event tomorrow. If the rumors are wrong we will have a bunch of excuses and reasons for being delayed stories on the 10th.

• Reply 18 of 41

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

If the rumors are wrong we will have a bunch of excuses and reasons for being delayed stories on the 10th.

What else would it imply if there wasn't an invite?

• Reply 19 of 41
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

More stock manipulation, eh?

Gotta do something to bring the stock price back up.

• Reply 20 of 41
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    The one percent got you.