Apple reportedly knew of iOS Maps troubles well before launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 142
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    vaelian wrote: »
    A seventh developer raises hand right here.

Really? I thought you were not supposed to be evolved with testing or submitting bugs. If you have forgotten...

Originally Posted by Vaelian

OK, dude, but don't forget that language evolves! There's also no need to go out of your way to tell me your gender and rough age unless you're looking for something else...
    If I implied, I did not state, and I did not enroll in the program to test anything other than my own code on current and upcoming platforms, be able to run stuff I write that would never get accepted in the App Store on my own devices, and report bugs that prevent my own code from working on those platforms. I did not agree at any point to go out of my way to test Apple software. I Do Not Work For Apple!
    I have code to contribute, that's what developers do.
    What I want is Google Maps back, and we both know that's not gonna happen.
    I don't dispute that (nor do I know what Siri has to do with this argument at all) as I love Siri as well (though you're actually referring to Dictation, not Siri) and use it daily to setup reminders and calendar events.
    If Apple forced anyone to report anything, we'd all be submitting obvious stuff to meet the quota, thus defeating the final goal.

I just have a hard time believing you're being both honest and sincere while you "raises hand right here"....

Let me know what App you developed that utilizes The Apple Map Application. I'll buy it and give you your dues for such a task.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this small piece of conversation was taken out of context. You were indeed referencing your involvement with Apple Maps and my point of submitting bugs/problems when you wrote this response.
  • Reply 22 of 142
    hill60 wrote: »
    Oh, ok

LL

Try it without putting in "United States." Considering I live in the US, I shouldn't have to put my country designation in there. Also, Columbia, SC is THE CAPITOL OF SOUTH CAROLINA.

w00master
  • Reply 23 of 142
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by w00master View Post

Try it without putting in "United States." Considering I live in the US, I shouldn't have to put my country designation in there. Also, Columbia, SC is THE CAPITOL OF SOUTH CAROLINA.

w00master

Auto complete did it for me.

• Reply 24 of 142
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So the example I gave of a Google search leading to a point on a map, where apparently there is no road, is deception.

OK then, I'm used to that from Google.

As we all know you live in a brand new development that is not accurately presented in Google Maps. Thanks for the reminder.

My much older neighborhood has been downgraded and is a complete grayscale disaster now in Apple Maps, which I have also mentioned on previous occasions.

BTW

It does appear they have fixed the Columbia SC issue at least on my iPhone.

• Reply 25 of 142

So what? It didn't for me and many many many other users. Again, Columbia, SC is the Capitol of South Carolina. I live in the US. There is GPS on my iPhone 5. It (in theory) knows where I am at.

I should not have to type in "united states" in a map search for the CAPITOL OF SOUTH CAROLINA.

W00master
  • Reply 26 of 142

I just searched "Columbia, SC" and got the one in Chile. Autocomplete did not put United States in for me. Perhaps you've been typing it a lot.
  • Reply 27 of 142

oneaburns wrote: »
    I just searched "Columbia, SC" and got the one in Chile. Autocomplete did not put United States in for me. Perhaps you've been typing it a lot.

BOOM.
  • Reply 28 of 142

On the iPhone, Apple’s new maps are far better than Google’s ever were for the following reasons:

1. Vector maps use less data so Apple maps actually load on the painfully slow AT&T Edge Network (read: antiquated and shitty) many of us are stuck with when navigating rural places. Google’s NEVER did.

2. Apple’s new Maps.app caches enough data to continue to work if (when) you lose network data. Google’s NEVER did.

3. Google maps have often led me miles (sometime 15 or more freaking miles) out of my way, especially in rural areas. Apple's have not failed me, yet…

Yes, Apple needs more points of interest to flesh out the map data—but Google maps could never reliably indicate a gas station or a diner off a highway exit or even in downtown freaking-ass Baltimore so what the hell was so great about Google maps? Street view? Oh yeah, that's the best thing ever when you’re low on gas in the ’hood seven-hundred miles from home and Google shows one gas station 45 minutes away even though there are several within walking distance if it would only tell you where &^*^&%&$%#$@%$#!

So come on world, keep on bitching about weird looking shit in 3D flyover etc., that’s worth launching a fresh crusade against Apple, for sure.

Let’s milk this non-issue FOREVER.

• Reply 29 of 142

Apple should not be let off the hook on this, they made a decision to ditch Google Maps before they were ready.  They could have chosen to go another year while they built a more robust map replacement, but they didn't.  Plus given their $100+ Billion cash hoard their really is no excuse for a half assed maps app, they have the coin, the resources and they certainly could have bought their way into whatever they needed.

That said, I have numerous GPS apps on my iP5 and I use what works for the given task, iOS 6 Maps and TomTom as well.  Just depends on what I am doing.  But unless Google Maps offers turn by turn in a native iOS app I wouldn't even bother putting it on my iP5.

• Reply 30 of 142
    w00master wrote: »
    So what? It didn't for me and many many many other users. Again, Columbia, SC is the Capitol of South Carolina. I live in the US. There is GPS on my iPhone 5. It (in theory) knows where I am at.
    I should not have to type in "united states" in a map search for the CAPITOL OF SOUTH CAROLINA.
    W00master

Don't feel bad, W00master. You made a valid point as did the article. However, certain people here (generally those with posts numbering in the thousands) take any critique of Apple as a personal affront and get very defensive of their beloved.
  • Reply 31 of 142

The sickening part is because it is Apple that released this crapware, the sheeple will find any and every excuse for the terrible decision to release the buggy software and then charge users a ton for the new phone. Imagine the backlash if Google, Microsoft, Samsung, or Rim that released this bad app. There is NO excuse for this given the price premium of an iPhone 5. Steve jobs would have LOST IT if this was released, and that is why Apple has already changed, for the worst,

• Reply 32 of 142
    apfeltosh wrote: »
    The sickening part is because it is Apple that released this crapware, the sheeple will find any and every excuse for the terrible decision to release the buggy software and then charge users a ton for the new phone. Imagine the backlash if Google, Microsoft, Samsung, or Rim that released this bad app. There is NO excuse for this given the price premium of an iPhone 5. Steve jobs would have LOST IT if this was released, and that is why Apple has already changed, for the worst,

The app has serious potential. I hope they will put significant resources into fixing it. But they rushed it and now have egg on their face. They should be able to take a little ridicule until it's fixed. Hopefully that will be very soon.
  • Reply 33 of 142
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

Imagine the backlash if Google, Microsoft, Samsung, or Rim that released this bad app. 

There wouldn't have been one. Because it would have been in line with expectations. 

• Reply 34 of 142

Quote:

W00master

I didn't have to type it in, maybe it's different outside the US, I was presented with options I tapped the United States one.

• Reply 35 of 142
    whodawhoda Posts: 29member

Quote:

w00master

Yeah but to be real, it is South Carolina.  Perhaps Apple was embarrassed you are part of the union and wanted to try and right the wrong?  

And by the way, Columbia, SC pulls up your city.  Not sure how you have to put it in to get it to go to South America. 

• Reply 36 of 142
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    axual wrote: »
    All software is released with bugs. Maps is no different.

The MS camp used the same argument for Vista. The Android camp uses the same argument for every release they have. Saying "Well, iOS/OS X has bugs, too." doesn't mean that Vista and Android releases haven't been relatively shitty.
  • Reply 37 of 142
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    w00master wrote: »
    w00master

When I type just "Columbia", "Columbia, SC, United States" is the very first option in the autocomplete list. The entire list is full of different "Columbias" all over the US. What it does not give me, is any South American options. Nor should it, since those places aren't even spelled the same.

This is par for the course though. I've yet to see an example of a problem in iOS maps that I can actually replicate. Every time someone posts about some new crazy error, I go check it, and not only is the problem the poster is talking about not there, what is on Apple's map is usually more accurate than Google's.
  • Reply 38 of 142
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

Steve jobs would have LOST IT if this was released, and that is why Apple has already changed, for the worst,

He didn't lose it when FCP X was released.

He didn't lose it when the iPhone 4's antenna problems were plastered all over the news. In fact, he defended Apple.

He didn't lose it when OS X Lion lost "Save As."

So far, the post-Jobs Apple is no worse off than it was during Jobs' watch.

• Reply 39 of 142
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    He didn't lose it when FCP X was released.

He didn't lose it when the iPhone 4's antenna problems were plastered all over the news. In fact, he defended Apple.

He didn't lose it when OS X Lion lost "Save As."

So far, the post-Jobs Apple is no worse off than it was during Jobs' watch.

Fattty Nano, touchscreen Nano, buttonless Shuffle, iMovie '08, etc.
  • Reply 40 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As we all know you live in a brand new development that is not accurately presented in Google Maps.

Apple managed to get it right.

Google has been in this game for far longer yet people readily dismiss or downright ignore their flaws.

Why is that do you think?