Apple reportedly knew of iOS Maps troubles well before launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 142
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Yep, such a liar: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/04/street-view-for-google-maps-web-app-goes-live-for-some Not to mention the App Store apps that have it.

That is a web app- not the same. No pin tap to street view either.
    No time for your twistedness . Begone .
  • Reply 62 of 142
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    isheldon wrote: »

**** your posts are stupid, Teckstud! So now you're saying it's on viewable on the phone because it's web app? News flash: Street View was never stored "on" the iPhone before as it was all queried at the back end from Google just like it is now with maps.google.com.
  • Reply 63 of 142
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufwork View Post

I just tested it on an iPhone 5 in the Apple Store this weekend.  Maps even "autocompleted" my typing "Columbia" with the option for a red pin next to "Columbia, SC".  Guess where that sends you?  (In case that's not clear, it goes to South America.)

"Columbia, SC" should send you to Columbia, South Carolina.  It's a well-known bug at this point.  Apple should fix it.  Apple should have fixed it weeks ago.  It's server-side info, so it's an easy fix to push.

So this picture here I posted before is south america?

Strange that, isn't South Carolina in the United States?

Imagine the surprise if you went to that location on the map, would you need to learn Spanish, would you need peso's or something?

It's a good thing I'm never likely to go there.

• Reply 64 of 142
    hill60 wrote: »
    So this picture here I posted before is south america?

[image]

Strange that, isn't South Carolina in the United States?

Imagine the surprise if you went to that location on the map, would you need to learn Spanish, would you need peso's or something?

It's a good thing I'm never likely to go there.

I can recreate this bug. When I click on the lower Columbia SC I get a pin at Santiago De Cali, Colombia.

edit: I reported the problem. I wonder if others who have seen this "well known issue" have done so. There isn't a single digital maps service that hasn't used user input to correct their location bugs.
  • Reply 65 of 142
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Some of bugs are systematic in nature and could be fixed with a few lines of code. I have seen cases where "Mahoni Road" finds the address but "Mahoni Rd" returns no result at all (that was in a major European language, ie, different actual words but exactly the same principle). That is just sloppy coding, not a question of lacking data.

I vote for this post as being the only interesting one on the entire thread.  :-)

On another related note ... I came across what might be an interesting bug in iOS 6 maps this weekend.  

I was in a National Park hiking through the woods and I lost my bearings for a bit so I pulled out the maps app to see what was what.  I had it set on a combo view of the road info and the satellite picture and I noticed right away that the road I was searching for was the equivalent of about 4 city blocks to the south.  I also noticed that the satellite imagery, which also clearly showed the road, was showing it more like 2.5 or 3 city blocks to the south instead.  Okay, so the satellite imagery and the maps did not match ... ideal time to send a report to the maps people at Apple right?  

I decided to walk through the forest to the road, so that I was actually standing on the error when I reported it, thinking that this might be a good thing.  I also wasn't sure exactly which of the two were right.  Was the satellite image accurate or the map itself?  By the time I get to the road and stand on it, the satellite imagery and the road on the map were now in complete alignment.  Shock!  

I am completely certain that I wasn't mistaken about the mis-alignment I originally saw, which means to me that iOS 6 maps not only has bad data it has some kind of bad code in it that mis-aligns things "on the fly."  I know that sounds dumb/unbelievable/unlikely etc. but that's what happened.  Either someone in the server room was fixing that particular map in between my two viewings or the map data was actually dynamically "bad."  

If true, it kind of suggests that there is more at work here than simply bad data. 

• Reply 66 of 142
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

I read an article concerning the culture at Microsoft, it was a very long but most interesting read.

I forgot the link, but will do my best to find it.

There were 63,000 known bugs in a Windows OS release, not sure which one.

Microsoft's PR spun it in a most positive light, along the lines "the consumers will feel confident in our ability to fix these issues".

Do a search that concerns irate Microsoft customers, there are literally thousands, read some, you will be astounded.

This Maps issue is nothing compared to the abomination that is Windows.

Please don't write and mention an App versus an OS, its still programming code thats involved.

• Reply 67 of 142
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) So now you're claiming that there is no maps for pedestrians. If you actually explored the new Maps even once you would realize that pedestrian directions are there; it's public transportation that is now added via 3rd-party support. I guess since pedestrian and public both start with 'p' you got confused. ...

Not to defend such a complete a-hole as Sheldon, but the new maps don't actually have walking directions IMO.  If you click on the walking directions you get the same directions as for a car.  They can call it "walking directions" all they want, but it's just car directions by another name.  

Notice when you drop a pin, even if you are on walking directions, the pin shows a car.  Tapping on the car icon, does, perversely give you "walking directions," but they are the same as for a car, they use the car street signs, they use mostly the same language as is used for the car.  They are really just car directions.  I think they swap out the word "drive" for "go" or "walk" but that's about it. 

The walking directions (at least in the areas I have tried to use them) also are not aware of bike paths and pedestrian areas.  They aren't aware of anything that isn't a road that a car can travel down basically, so there isn't much point in using them downtown for instance, because all of the myriad ways in which a pedestrian can get around a city are unknown to the app.  The app seems unaware that you can cut across plazas, and is not aware of *any* footpaths (at least not that I have seen so far).  In a park, it seems to only pick the roads and is not aware of anything else.  

• Reply 68 of 142

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Microsoft's PR spun it in a most positive light, along the lines "the consumers will feel confident in our ability to fix these issues".

Do a search that concerns irate Microsoft customers, there are literally thousands, read some, you will be astounded.

Ah, but "Microsoft sucks" is old hat. The media knows that, the public knows that. It doesn't sell.

Apple "failing", even when they don't, sells. 

Google failing doesn't sell because Google only makes "free" products, so they're pardoned from any and all failures of any sort.

• Reply 69 of 142
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

I have an iPhone 4 updated with iOS6.  The compass app that came with iOS5 seemed to usually find something sorta-kinda-roughly-approximating north, but Apple's Map app in iOS6 has only pointed me the right way once in six tests over a period of several days.  Yeah yeah, I did the stupid figure-8 thing which did change the direction of the pointer, but still not to north.

Is this related to Maps, something else entirely, or is my phone broken?

All those with "magnetic personality" jokes please get them out of the way quickly.

• Reply 70 of 142
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Not to defend such a complete a-hole as Sheldon, but the new maps don't actually have walking directions IMO.  If you click on the walking directions you get the same directions as for a car.  They can call it "walking directions" all they want, but it's just car directions by another name.  

Notice when you drop a pin, even if you are on walking directions, the pin shows a car.  Tapping on the car icon, does, perversely give you "walking directions," but they are the same as for a car, they use the car street signs, they use mostly the same language as is used for the car.  They are really just car directions.  I think they swap out the word "drive" for "go" or "walk" but that's about it. 

The walking directions (at least in the areas I have tried to use them) also are not aware of bike paths and pedestrian areas.  They aren't aware of anything that isn't a road that a car can travel down basically, so there isn't much point in using them downtown for instance, because all of the myriad ways in which a pedestrian can get around a city are unknown to the app.  The app seems unaware that you can cut across plazas, and is not aware of *any* footpaths (at least not that I have seen so far).  In a park, it seems to only pick the roads and is not aware of anything else.  

I'm well aware of that. I noted back in the betas that walking directions didn't take the shortcut through a local park that Google Maps did. However, his claim was that "as a pedestrian" he "can't find [his] house or look down [his] street- only roofs and top of trees." which has absolutely no baring on that aspect on the walking directions of Apple Maps, regardless of how incomplete they might be.

I've had good luck with Apple Maps. It's very easy to tell Siri a destination and have it create the route whilst driving. Much easier than having to pull over to setup TomTom for the same route. That said, I'm very glad to have TomTom as a backup. Note I've been very vocal since the first beta on how I think Apple has hurt themselves with iOS 6 Maps. Even regulars like MacBook Pro were attacking me for it despite everything I predicted might happen has actually happened.
  • Reply 71 of 142
    solipsismx wrote: »
    isheldon wrote: »

**** your posts are stupid, Teckstud! So now you're saying it's on viewable on the phone because it's web app? News flash: Street View was never stored "on" the iPhone before as it was all queried at the back end from Google just like it is now with maps.google.com.

Ya' know, I posted the following to another thread, but at least one of the images typifies the posts for which "iStud" is the poster boy... You pick 'em!
    Here's the kind of thing that's possible with Apple maps 3D FlyOver view -- that just can't be done with Google StreetView when no public roads exisL

LL

and

LL

:^)>

http://www.akademifantasia.org/north-america/bizzare-picture-of-the-back-of-mount-rushmore/
  • Reply 72 of 142
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

And street view? This should be mandatory on ALL mapping apps.

I mean, how did anyone ever, find their way somewhere before it was released. Most likely, get in the general area, then like a pinball, just bounce around until they ended up at the correct place.

I believe they use their brain to find where they are going instead of people needing to consult a map even when they go for a walk or they knew there are 3 post offices in their town yet need to confirm them with a map.

Talking about being ridiculous.

• Reply 73 of 142
    1. I love how they say 'months' to make it feel like it was a much longer time than it was
    2. All that talk about there being another year on the google contract remains unsubstantiated and possibly totally false
    3. They didn't mention StreetViewv in the keynote so why would anyone expect it to be there
    4. Apple didn't suddenly kill all other apps and block all sites to force you to use their shitty app. As a user or a developer.
  • Reply 74 of 142
    dbhdbh Posts: 41member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

The sickening part is because it is Apple that released this crapware, the sheeple will find any and every excuse for the terrible decision to release the buggy software and then charge users a ton for the new phone. Imagine the backlash if Google, Microsoft, Samsung, or Rim that released this bad app. There is NO excuse for this given the price premium of an iPhone 5. Steve jobs would have LOST IT if this was released, and that is why Apple has already changed, for the worst,

as per my last information, iPhone 5 is not a GPS device like Garmin... so can you please explain further on your point?

• Reply 75 of 142
    dbhdbh Posts: 41member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

One for each ear?

that is if you're stupid enough...

• Reply 76 of 142
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    How pathetic to watch a bunch of people try to justify the crap quality of Apple Maps when compared to Google Maps. It's a bit like comparing a Lada to a Mercedes Benz.
  • Reply 77 of 142
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Some times I wonder...  Is Apple insider trying to make Apple look bad here?  Cause the article certainly makes it seem that way.

• Reply 78 of 142
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

How pathetic to watch a bunch of people try to justify the crap quality of Apple Maps when compared to Google Maps. It's a bit like comparing a Lada to a Mercedes Benz.

Crap quality is crap quality so far I have posted several examples in this thread and a previous one of Google maps "crap" quality, backed up by screenshots showing exactly why Google maps also has flaws.

You left out the most compelling part of iOS 6 maps, voice navigation which makes your Lada/Mercedes analogy into a Lada driving along a road, gassed up and ready to go and a Mercedes in the wrecking yard crushed into a cube of metal.

Without voice guidance Google left Apple up a creek without a paddle much like waiting on the corner of Longhurst Rd and Longhurst Rd, while your friend waits on the corner of Longhurst Rd and Longhurst Rd except you're on Glasshouse and he's on Selwyn.

• Reply 79 of 142
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

You don't get it. Apple was more than happy to ditch Google and the quicker the better. You see they wanted Google to say ohhh crap what do you mean all these users aren't using our maps anymore. And yes they will dump the Google Search too. I will be happy to rid Google from all my Apple devices. I am glad they took more immediate action then to wait for Google to prepare, I hope they look for every possible reason not to approve any Google Apps.

• Reply 80 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So… developers. Not Apple employees, just six guys who had iOS 6 beta 1. 

And why do we care about their take on this?

Because they know better about it than you do?

When what developers say go with your own opinion, it's gospel, else "why do you care about it"? Come on.