In-depth Review: Apple's iOS 6 Maps & the alternatives 2: Maps and visualizations

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What else is there to know?

Where the actual location is.

• Reply 62 of 84
    hill60 wrote: »
    What else is there to know?

Where the actual location is.

Often, it is quite easy... Just look at the map. I just moved the pin for "St. Peter's" in Rome, about a mile and a half. You just click the info icon on the incorrect pin location, select report an error, bad location, then drag the pin to the correct location (indicated by the purple dropped pin on the left)!

Other times, you need to make extra effort and do a web search or use a competitive maps app.

But we all contribute and we all gain in the end... We call that society!
  • Reply 63 of 84

Here's the kind of thing that's possible with Apple maps 3D FlyOver view -- that just can't be done with Google StreetView when no public roads exisL

and

:^)>

http://www.akademifantasia.org/north-america/bizzare-picture-of-the-back-of-mount-rushmore/

• Reply 64 of 84
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    slurpy wrote: »

Yeah, if you zoom into some buildings there WILL be distortions and imperfections.

Where're the streets? And then you admit to visual distortions above!
    NEXT.
    END OF STORY.
    It should "just work" and if not, then leave in what does until IT does.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Post pictures to support your assertion!

Just look at the Slurpy pics above - where are the roads?
  • Reply 66 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

NEXT.

END OF STORY.

See those two capital letters in your last sentence? COME OFF THEM. It's called satellite view, not hybrid view.

Why we let you continue to spew this crap is beyond me.

• Reply 67 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that one thing that Apple can do is provide an option where there is a slider that the user can change to a (djust the level of detain shown at any zoom level (overriding the defaults).  I think that this can be implemented without going to the servers for additional data.

That won't work, at least it's not the right solution. It needs to show the right information, and Apple maps sometimes doesn't do that any zoom level. Pedestrian cities just require different info to be visible. In cases like Tokyo where the addressing system is fairly different you need to approach it from a different angle I think. You can see how it's oriented for drivers by the names Apple attempts to put on the roads here. They may be technically correct, but no one I've ever met knows them. A few major streets near me, Meiji-dori and Komazawa-dori are actually labeled with names, but also with numbers like 416 and 305 that are useless.

• Reply 68 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

NEXT.

END OF STORY.

Google maps on iOS didn't work, for example there was no voice guidance.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Reply 69 of 84

Quote:

Just look at the Slurpy pics above - where are the roads?

On the ground,

Where else would they be...

...hang on a tick, be back shortly...

/cue sound of footsteps running down stairs, door opening and closing, pause, door opening and closing, footsteps running up stairs...

...yep, my house is still on my street, right where I left it.

• Reply 70 of 84
    cjlacz wrote: »
    I think that one thing that Apple can do is provide an option where there is a slider that the user can change to a (djust the level of detain shown at any zoom level (overriding the defaults).  I think that this can be implemented without going to the servers for additional data.
    That won't work, at least it's not the right solution. It needs to show the right information, and Apple maps sometimes doesn't do that any zoom level. Pedestrian cities just require different info to be visible. In cases like Tokyo where the addressing system is fairly different you need to approach it from a different angle I think. You can see how it's oriented for drivers by the names Apple attempts to put on the roads here. They may be technically correct, but no one I've ever met knows them. A few major streets near me, Meiji-dori and Komazawa-dori are actually labeled with names, but also with numbers like 416 and 305 that are useless.

That should be doable... PlaceBase, the company that Apple purchased a few years ago, has an API called PushPin -- which allowed layers of data, images, controls to be displayed over a map. They could display different layers for driving, walking and public transportation.

Apple has a very flexible maps app that is just trying to get born... It'll soon learn to crawl, walk... Give it a few years!
  • Reply 71 of 84

Quote:

Here's the kind of thing that's possible with Apple maps 3D FlyOver view -- that just can't be done with Google StreetView when no public roads exisL

:^)>

http://www.akademifantasia.org/north-america/bizzare-picture-of-the-back-of-mount-rushmore/

Isn't that what you see as you leave...

...in the REARVIEW mirror?

• Reply 72 of 84
    That should be doable... PlaceBase, the company that Apple purchased a few years ago, has an API called PushPin -- which allowed layers of data, images, controls to be displayed over a map. They could display different layers for driving, walking and public transportation.
    Apple has a very flexible maps app that is just trying to get born... It'll soon learn to crawl, walk... Give it a few years!

Better to simply ignore this poster.

Apple Maps shouldn't be Google Maps. Google Maps are complete garbage in Tokyo but they don't mention that.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Apple Maps shouldn't be Google Maps. Google Maps are complete garbage in Tokyo but they don't mention that.

Which map provider did you use when you were in Tokyo? What did you find to be done poorly there in Google Maps?

• Reply 74 of 84

Quote:

I'm not saying it isn't doable. I'm saying they aren't doing it. I write software for a living, I know the difference. The fact is it's not a good implementation for Japan (or at least the major cities) and calling them out on it is fair game. I think it will get better. I don't expect it to happen in a month, I know it will take some time. Knowning Apple I'm not sure if it's every going to be as good as it should be. They can be pretty stubborn, and as long as their emphasis is driving it will probably still have a lot holes. 

• Reply 75 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Google maps are complete garbage in Tokyo? You obviously don't live here or I wouldn't be hearing such s**t out of your mouth. Google maps are pretty damn good here. It looks like they get their info form Mapion which also has good maps. Yahoo isn't bad, and just looking at maps I'd probably say Bing is more useful for most people. I haven't tested search between them, but I think Google wins out there in most cases too. If you consider searching in English (and maybe other languages) google definitely wins. 

Apple maps doesn't have to be Google maps in Tokyo. I'm sure Google has patents or other legal mechanisms to prevent it, but Apple maps is pretty much garbage here currently. They've got a long way to go to make usable maps for Tokyo.

• Reply 76 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Which map provider did you use when you were in Tokyo? What did you find to be done poorly there in Google Maps?

I don't think Macbook Pro has visited Japan much less lived here or he wouldn't be putting down Google maps as much as he is. If you can't search in Japanese Google maps is probably the only way to find anything there.It's not perfect, but it beats out all options if you don't write Japanese well. It may not be the top in other areas, but I don't think it's far off. I've found it's searching to be better than Yahoo which was traditionally the stronger company in Japan. I hadn't used them in years, but I was surprised to see the difference between the services recently. 

• Reply 77 of 84

Did you report these errors?

Every single one. None have been fixed. All of Ontario is broken. Not a little broken. BROKEN.

• Reply 78 of 84

Other times, you need to make extra effort and do a web search or use a competitive maps app.

But we all contribute and we all gain in the end... We call that society!

Yeah great, just what the world needs, ANOTHER proprietary POI database.

OpenStreetMaps has all of this stuff already. I'd be much happier if Apple just used them.

• Reply 79 of 84
    cjlacz wrote: »

I'm not saying it isn't doable. I'm saying they aren't doing it. I write software for a living, I know the difference. The fact is it's not a good implementation for Japan (or at least the major cities) and calling them out on it is fair game. I think it will get better. I don't expect it to happen in a month, I know it will take some time. Knowning Apple I'm not sure if it's every going to be as good as it should be. They can be pretty stubborn, and as long as their emphasis is driving it will probably still have a lot holes. 

It's hard to say what Apple is, or is not, doing... They are so secretive. The PlaceBase PushPin API, was reported to use the Flash browser plugin... If so, it must be rewritten to use OpenGL to run on iOS.

I hope that Apple opens this API up to 3rd-party developers ASAP, rather than trying to do everything internally.

I haven't programmed IOS MapKit for a while... I think I will play around a bit and see just how basic a map can be be generated in standard view, and hybrid view -- and what is involved in providing transportation interfaces.

Ideally, there will be a basic map with few embellishments that can be presented, then can be enhanced according to the need being served -- subway, hiking, biking...
  • Reply 80 of 84
    I wonder if the comparison with Tom Tom data produce different results? Aren't the new maps using Tom Tom data?