Quality issues with iPhone 5's aluminum chassis slows production, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by djkfisher View Post

I must say that after many iPhones that this is the first one out of the box that had some damage.  In fact it looked exactly like the nick in the picture above.  Now, I did carry the phone on several trips for a week or so prior to getting my Speck case and I have no additional visible scratches.  But I was very careful not to drop it.  Very very happy with this phone.

The first iPhone 5 I got (white) had a nick that looked just like the one in the pic right out of the box. The second one I got (also white) got a nick that also looked like the pic after three days of use.

• Reply 22 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple has used anodized parts before, several generations of Nano and Shuffle were anodized aluminum. I think the faceplate of the Classic was anodized aluminum. I wonder how much of this is extra scrutiny from the users.

The anodised iPods have radiused edges. The iPhone 5 has sharp (45 degree) edges. Anodising doesn't like sharp edges, they are prone to chipping / wear.

• Reply 23 of 70

Personally, I would rather have the scuffs and scratches than wrap the phone in a case. You just need to get over the idea of a phone being a precious piece that has to remain in pristine condition. Look at scuffs and scratches as adding character. 

But I will acknowledge it is annoying to have them straight out of the box before you even touched the phone. They should at least be your scuffs and scratches -- and not factory applied scuffs and scratches.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The anodised iPods have radiused edges. The iPhone 5 has sharp (45 degree) edges. Anodising doesn't like sharp edges, they are prone to chipping / wear.

I didn't think about that, but some generation of anodized nanos had sharp square edges on the ends. I had one, and I do recall nicking mine on the ends with an impact. A couple generations of shuffles were shaped similarly too.
  • Reply 25 of 70

Like others have mentioned, my iPhone 4 was never in a case and it still looks perfect.  My iPhone 5 on the other hand is just a few weeks old and it has a nick in the corner already.  I really hate to think about getting case since it is such a beautiful device but I don't want it looking like hell in a few months even if I am so careful with it.

• Reply 26 of 70
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

I got the black one, sadly as many have pointed out the black one is scratchtastic. General wear and tear, the screen is still perfect but the sides and back have nicks/scratches all over. 

I suppose I could use gloves whilst holding it and put it in a case but I shouldn't have too.

Never had a problem with my original iPhone, or my 3GS or my iPhone 4S.

The iPhone 5 got scratched the first time I put it into a GPS holder that never caused a problem with my 4S etc. Honestly mate, until you've had a black iPhone 5 don't comment on it, it is not the same as the white one which my wife has which still looks pretty good and she drops that in her handbag!

• Reply 27 of 70
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverByThere View Post

Hi AndySol,

Are you saying your wife has the iPhone 5 in white? I noticed you mentioned about the durability of it, but you said you had a black one.. Thanks

Dan.

She has White Dan- sorry for failing to mention (I edited my original post)

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillOuyang View Post

I don't see what all the fuss is about. I have a black one. I've already dropped it a few times. The nicks on the corners are barely visible and honestly compared to my old iPhone 3GS, it's still a significant improvement.

Will- you have to keep in mind what you said- the nicks on the corners are barely visible.  You havent even had it a month- and thats if you got it day one.  Now imagine two years from now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My white one is fine. Not that I care. Every year we've heard about how this or that was going to get damaged easily. You simply don't hear that about cheap products because no one cares. I haven't used a case o my iPhone 4 for nearly 2 years and have dropped it many, many times. There is one corner that is scuffed from a bad fall but it surprisingly minor. If you really care then use a case or buy a phone that is build less like jewelry.

Solip- the white one is much better.  The 4/4S (i.e.- glass) won't show scratches like aluminum.  No one is denying the phone is gorgeous- but I think people should protect it.  A wrap is unnoticable and people will be happy they did it after a few months.  Don't know if you're married- but my wife gets her wedding ring cleaned and polished on occasion because of normal wear and tear and it gets all scuffed up.  Don't compare the iPhone to jewelry- because you simply can't "polish" or fix it- and if you have a scuffed up Rolex that used to be smooth white gold or platinum but now looks like beat up brushed aluminum- and you're ok with that- then you definitely shouldn't talk about fashion-sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Great - I'm glad I'm forced to wait due to contract. If its not fixed by then I'm waiting for the next gen . Totally fine with the 4S. Don't need a remote control in my pocket anyway. More surface- more to nick.

The phone is awesome and worth the upgrade.  It's also much more durable to breakage on a drop.  There are only two downsides- 1- the connector (which will eventually be a huge upside once accessories can be made), and 2- the scratching- which won't be fixed.  The phone is absolutely incredible- and you're missing out- due to contract of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Scratched to hell? What are you doing with it? I've had the white for 2 weeks and not a nick or scratch on it. Ok I left the protective film on the back (just trimmed off the top where the camera is) but the band and everything else is exposed and still looks perfect. I don't know how the phone can be "scratched to hell" unless you have it a pocket or handbag rattling around with keys and/or coins. And then the question becomes why would anyone do that knowing that metal can scratch.

lol... so you had a protective backing and it didn't scratch?  Crazy.  ;-)  Seriously though- the white one is much more durable.  The black is finicky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by huffcw View Post

Personally, I would rather have the scuffs and scratches than wrap the phone in a case. You just need to get over the idea of a phone being a precious piece that has to remain in pristine condition. Look at scuffs and scratches as adding character. 

Scuffs don't add character.  I'll sell you my beat up car and tell you it costs more because it has more character.  :-)  You don't need a case, per say, just a wrap.  Heck- you can even wrap the back and sides and leave the glass exposed.  The wraps nowadays you can't even tell they are on by looking at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post

Like others have mentioned, my iPhone 4 was never in a case and it still looks perfect.  My iPhone 5 on the other hand is just a few weeks old and it has a nick in the corner already.  I really hate to think about getting case since it is such a beautiful device but I don't want it looking like hell in a few months even if I am so careful with it.

Dead on- if its scratched a little now- it'll be a lot in 6 months- and I'm super careful with mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I got the black one, sadly as many have pointed out the black one is scratchtastic. General wear and tear, the screen is still perfect but the sides and back have nicks/scratches all over. 

I suppose I could use gloves whilst holding it and put it in a case but I shouldn't have too.

Never had a problem with my original iPhone, or my 3GS or my iPhone 4S.

The iPhone 5 got scratched the first time I put it into a GPS holder that never caused a problem with my 4S etc. Honestly mate, until you've had a black iPhone 5 don't comment on it, it is not the same as the white one which my wife has which still looks pretty good and she drops that in her handbag!

Again- dead on.  If you don't have it... well, you just don't know.  ;-)

• Reply 28 of 70

Quote:

Form over function as usual for Apple. No question, it's a beautiful device, but mine is scratched to hell already.

Quote:

Too bad for you. But you're just one data point. I could tell you -- as another data point -- that I've had the iPhone 5 from Day 1, don't have anything other than a form-fitting slide-in/-out case for it (i.e., no bumpers, screen protectors, nothing), and there isn't a single scratch on it.

Perhaps you're just a sloppy handler of your devices.

• Reply 29 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Again- dead on.  If you don't have it... well, you just don't know.  ;-)

See above. Same reply.

• Reply 30 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Too bad for you. But you're just one data point. I could tell you -- as another data point -- that I've had the iPhone 5 from Day 1, don't have anything other than a form-fitting slide-in/-out case for it (i.e., no bumpers, screen protectors, nothing), and there isn't a single scratch on it.

Quote:

See above. Same reply.

Incorrect.  We're TWO data points- you're one.  ;-)

And dude... YOU HAVE A CASE!!!! lol- you can't be serious?!?!

• Reply 31 of 70
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    This clearly shows what happens to the black one when scuffed. But also impressive performance.

http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-drop-test-116898/
  • Reply 32 of 70
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Quote:

Do you have the white or black iPhone 5?

• Reply 33 of 70

Quote:

Do you have the white or black iPhone 5?

Black.

• Reply 34 of 70

Quote:

And dude... YOU HAVE A CASE!!!! lol- you can't be serious?!?!

Dude. Stop reading my post back to me.

• Reply 35 of 70
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This story should be good for at least another $20 drop in share price.

Except Andy Zaky made a buy call today. Target $1000.

• Reply 36 of 70

Quote:

Dude. Stop reading my post back to me.

You can't see the idiocy in saying "There isn't a single scratch on it" and that you "have a form-fitting case for it" when the case covers the freaking part that could get scratched?!?!?!

There is no way you can be serious.  And if you are- please stop dumbing down the thread by posting in it.

• Reply 37 of 70

It is not extra scrutiny - just walk into your local Apple store and look at the black version, especially where they fit into the docks they have on display; they are scratched like crazy and it is immediately evident.  It was the very first thing I noticed when I turned the device over - the thing that stuck out in the first few moments.  Honestly, they looked like total crap, and I'm not exaggerating.  My impression at the time was that 'this does not look like the build quality of an Apple product.'

The thing to keep in mind is that this is after only a few weeks.  What will one of these devices look like after a year?  Ragged, that's what.

The choice to use anodized aluminum like this was a poor one; it is inevitable that the devices are going to look really awful after months of use, and that in turn will act as a withdrawal from the brand bank, as Steve used to say.

• Reply 38 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

The thing to keep in mind is that this is after only a few weeks.  What will one of these devices look like after a year?  Ragged, that's what.

The choice to use anodized aluminum like this was a poor one; it is inevitable that the devices are going to look really awful after months of use, and that in turn will act as a withdrawal from the brand bank, as Steve used to say.

I agree that it will look like crap in a year.  But I still think it was a good choice.  It's stronger than the 4S, lighter than the 4S, less sensitive to breakage than the 4S, etc. Its an absolutely gorgeous work of art.  I'd take the aluminum over glass anyday- People just need to protect it.  I know it sounds like beating a dead horse, but just wrap the back and sides and call it a day.  To go caseless will cause nothing but an ugly phone in a few months.

Maybe Carbon Fiber for the next one?  I dont know much about it though- would that scratch?  Or could it be nearly as beautiful?  The white and black are both works of art.

• Reply 39 of 70

deleted

• Reply 40 of 70

Quote:

I agree that it will look like crap in a year.  But I still think it was a good choice.  It's stronger than the 4S, lighter than the 4S, less sensitive to breakage than the 4S, etc. Its an absolutely gorgeous work of art.  I'd take the aluminum over glass anyday- People just need to protect it.  I know it sounds like beating a dead horse, but just wrap the back and sides and call it a day.  To go caseless will cause nothing but an ugly phone in a few months.

Maybe Carbon Fiber for the next one?  I dont know much about it though- would that scratch?  Or could it be nearly as beautiful?  The white and black are both works of art.

The problem I think is that most of the people talking about this, and Apple itself apparently, fail to see the eroding effect caused by things like this over time for the brand.  Think about the impact of millions and millions of scratched to heck iPhones walking around on people's perceptions of Apple quality.  Apple's brand carries a carefully cultured assumption of quality worth the expense - the devices have a thoughtfulness and a build quality that conveys 'I am built well, and with care.  I am worth the extra price'.  When a consumer picks up a device like this and the back is marred with hundreds of bright silver scratches, the opposite message is conveyed.  The device says 'I was not well thought out and well considered.'  Maybe that in fact is not the case, but like it or not, assessments like this are often made by first impression.  Take the casual person milling around the Verizon or AT&T store.  They go and look at the iPhone - probably the most expensive handset on display - and it is all scratched up and looks like a piece of trash.  What sort of impression does that make, and what sort of contribution does it make to Apple's brand?

I think the broader issue here is that the leadership team at Apple is not as in tune to these factors as Steve Jobs was.  I know it is cliche, but I'll go there: I don't think Steve would have allowed them to release a device that scratches up this easily.