Consumer Reports: 'Purple haze' not limited to iPhone 5, Android cameras also have flare

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xuselppa View Post

Yes, lens flare happens with camera's (hell the latest Star Trek film in 2009 used this effect a lot), but it is more apparent with the ip5 over similar spec'd Android phones. And it seems to catch only the upper end of the UV spectrum/lower end of the visible, which to me looks more and more like the digital sensor. 

Not from what I have seen.  The GSIII can flare like mad.  The difference is people look for every little flaw in an Apple product and add a "gate" at the end of thinking they are smart.  If Android products were held to the same level we would have batteryGate, toBigGate, heavyGate, StutterGate, missalignedLensGate, poorColorGate, pentileGate and a dozen other gates.

• Reply 42 of 83

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

If Android products were held to the same level we would have batteryGate, toBigGate, heavyGate, StutterGate, missalignedLensGate, poorColorGate, pentileGate and a dozen other gates.

InexplicablyUnableToScrollSmoothlyDespiteHavingAGigAndAHalfGHzProcessorgate.

• Reply 43 of 83
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Unfortunately or not, this also happens to people who know how to take pictures, use expensive camera and expect perfection.

Certainly a better understanding of the physics behind the issue would be appropriate. And equally sound, would be to destroy, remove and/or keep to oneself those photos one takes and finds objectionable.

As the attached article states,  "It [flare] can lower the overall contrast of a photograph significantly and is often an undesired artifact, however some types of flare may actually enhance the artistic meaning of a photo. Understanding lens flare can help you use it — or avoid it — in a way which best suits how you wish to portray the final image." 

Hav'n taken literally thousands of photos on my Canon F1, most of my 'flared' prints were accidental. However, many of those were quite salvageable with a simple crop. In fact, these so-called mistakes were often declared by my audiences as being quite artistic to which I admit was highly unwarranted, but neither denied by oneself.

You made my point, it is about understanding the camera the physics. The people who understand do not complain to Nikon or Canon they do the necessary thing to correct.

I taken so many photos and have my fair share of bad photo's since I did not pay attention to any number of things and I except it for what it is worth, I do not blame the equipment I blame the user.

Again, you can only expect so much out of a cheap camera, it is not purple haze in this case it grainy pictures in low light or focus issue and so on and so on.

What people fail to understand this maybe the trade of you get for putting a cheap 8MP camera in a phone, going to 3MP or 5MP may other issue. question is can apple or any company compensate for these thing in software.

• Reply 44 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Easy. I'm for CR when they actually do a reasonable test and reach a scientifically supportable conclusion.
    I'm against CR when they editorialize and make pronouncements based on nothing but unfounded opinions.
    So what part of that don't you understand?

A fair weather friend are you?
  • Reply 45 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Not from what I have seen.  The GSIII can flare like mad.  The difference is people look for every little flaw in an Apple product and add a "gate" at the end of thinking they are smart.  If Android products were held to the same level we would have batteryGate, toBigGate, heavyGate, StutterGate, missalignedLensGate, poorColorGate, pentileGate and a dozen other gates.

The universal solution to defects in Android products is to simply troll about the usual '-gates' in Apple products.

• Reply 46 of 83
    Deleted
  • Reply 47 of 83
    InexplicablyUnableToScrollSmoothlyDespiteHavingAGigAndAHalfGHzProcessorgate.

Tell me again how long you used an Android device for?
  • Reply 48 of 83

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Tell me again how long you used an Android device for?

Few days, why? image

• Reply 49 of 83
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

well duh. But here's the thing, Apple is the top dog. The media loves to build people/companies up and tear them down the next day. They enjoy that sadistic side of "journalism". Apple should solved the purple haze issue and world peace for that matter.

• Reply 50 of 83
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So, this non-story perpetuated by Gizmodo gets whored-out to every blog and news-site out there, who mindlessly parrot this 'issue' with the iPhone 5, without doing a shred of research into whether it's actually an issue specific to the device. Now, we have shocking reports that this actually ISNT an issue, and again, sites like CNN can put up another story for click-whoring. The responsible thing to do would have to do some research before posting the original story, and see if it had any sort of journalistic merit, and if not, then not publish it. But thats not how 'news' works these days, as having journalistic integrity gets you less eyeballs, and less $$. 

I'm glad now some of these places are stating the obvious, which is that this wasn't an issue toi begin with, as anyone with a shred of camera knowledge realized the instant this 'purple-gate' was published and predictably every blog and their dog jumped on yet another opportunity to mindlessly bash Apple. 

• Reply 51 of 83
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So are we supposed to be for or against CR, then?

LOL

The problem with CR is that they really don't the best testing of computer, audio and video gear as far as I'm concerned.  Probably because they are not really experts in these areas.  It's hard getting decent reviews from typical magazines since many times the reviewer is biased and/or due to how much money the company spends in advertising.  

Yes, we need groups protecting the consumer, but we also have to realize that they sometimes don't judge by the things they should or they raise silly reasons like this.  Camera flare happens regardless of the brand and model of camera.  It's all about where the direct light is coming from.

• Reply 52 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Camera flare happens regardless of the brand and model of camera.  It's all about where the direct light is coming from.

Someone needs to tell that to Gizmodo image

• Reply 53 of 83
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

My previous iPhone 4 had much worse lens flare than my iPhone 5.

• Reply 54 of 83
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    This has to be one of the stupidest 'gates' ever.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    I have a slightly different issue...when it's really dark, my pictures come out black. ;)
  • Reply 56 of 83

Jimi would be pleased to see all the purple haze in our eyes :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Haze  :: for the uncultured out there

• Reply 57 of 83
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

I have a slightly different issue...when it's really dark, my pictures come out black. image

Worse, you see yourself.  image

• Reply 58 of 83
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

I have a slightly different issue...when it's really dark, my pictures come out black. image

Mine come out with a big pink blur covering most of the picture...

...my wife told me I was holding it wrong, I ain't falling for that bullshit, I'll hold it any damn way I please, Apple should fix this immediately, fingers and thumbs should be invisible when over the lens.

• Reply 59 of 83
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xuselppa View Post

blah, blah, blah

If Steve were still alive, blah, blah, blah

I make a motion that from this day forward, this comment should result in an immediate ban!

And if ... image

• Reply 60 of 83

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I make a motion that from this day forward, this comment should result in an immediate ban!

And if ... image

"And if" what? I'm all ears. ????????