Google's Schmidt says Apple and Android struggle is the 'defining fight in the industry today'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 155
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This comment makes you look like a piece of shit.  Please realize that there is no way to lump such a large group of people into categories like "freeloaders" or "wealthy" based off of a single consumer decision.  I hope you don't actually believe what you wrote, but you probably do.

You're totally right! Anan forgot to include the countless of tech-challenged folks that got suckered into buying an Android phone because some pimple-faced Fandroid working at the phone store told them it was "just like an iPhone", or essentially lied to them about its features.

I lost track of the number of first time smartphone owners that fall into this category. They all hated their Android phones and eventually went to an iPhone the first chance they were able to.
  • Reply 42 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

I agree. Although I feel it's actually malware as its installed without the users authorization and calls home to google. Does this not meet the definition of malware? If it does then why are they not investigated and brought to justice?

So can you tell me what are those programs that installed chrome to you without users authorization?

• Reply 43 of 155
    kermitos wrote: »
    So can you tell me what are those programs that installed chrome to you without users authorization?

The way many packages include chrome don't necessarily do it without the users' authorization, but the include a tiny checkbox in the middle of a lot of text, and banking that the users don't bother reading it and assume it's something else.

Social engineering as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 44 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The way many packages include chrome don't necessarily do it without the users' authorization, but the include a tiny checkbox in the middle of a lot of text, and banking that the users don't bother reading it and assume it's something else.

Social engineering as far as I'm concerned.

I was just wondering because somehow I don't seem to have ever heard about anything like this. But I guess that's because I don't hate chrome.

I do get a lot of suggestions to install "Ask! toolbar". Must be one great toolbar since every software seems to wan't to suggest it to me.

• Reply 45 of 155
    So much animosity and hate towards this man and Google. This is almost as bad as our political system. Does a certain product that we use define us as a people? Walking around with that white/silver piece of fruit on your phone or laptop garner so much pride and conviction. I appreciate a good product, but at the end of the day its just not as important as you guys make it out to be.

Apple is great company. Google is also a great company. They are both going to be pushing one another to the benefit of those who care about innovative mobile technology.

Fan boys of both platforms are so myopic and ridiculous. My belief is that, if one guy enjoys his IPhone, that's great. Then another guy should be able to enjoy his Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S3 without being looked down upon.

Come on now! Its not that serious.
  • Reply 46 of 155
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by renner.david.b View Post

Ditto, Can't imagine why Apple has not sued Schmit (aka S_h_it) for breach of contract. There has got to be terms in the Board of Directors agreements which prohibit the theft of company secrets. Schmit clearly passed on information to Google management, in effect stealing. 

Err, maybe because Schmidt did nothing wrong?  Makes me laugh whenever this is brought up.  Please, show me some solid evidence that Schmidt did anything underhand whilst on the Apple board.  And by evidence I don't mean hearsay and the thoughts of paranoid posters on this forum.

People seriously need to stop posting this piece of FUD.

• Reply 47 of 155
    kermitos wrote: »
    I was just wondering because somehow I don't seem to have ever heard about anything like this. But I guess that's because I don't hate chrome.

I do get a lot of suggestions to install "Ask! toolbar". Must be one great toolbar since every software seems to wan't to suggest it to me.

Not great. The vendor is getting kickbacks to include it in their package if the user installs it.

That Ask! Toolbar just recently corrupted a few PC's at a site I was working at. Junk.

I'm okay with Chrome, I don't really use it as I'm a Safari/Firefox fan. I just hate the way Chrome gets installed and how it phones the Google mothership.
  • Reply 48 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Android as an OS is sold at all price points. Android caters to all users. Apple caters to a just one part of the market. 

I'll concede the point on tablets as the iPad is currently only available at medium to high end prices compared to all the cheap (crappy) android tablets you can get, but phone wise you may have missed the $0 iPhone 4 and $99 iPhone 4S? They may not be "current" models but I'll put money on them outperforming any android phones in the same price range.

• Reply 49 of 155

Scotty 321 said : "You aren't even .01% the man that Steve Jobs was."

Don't exaggerate mister ! Come on !

• Reply 50 of 155
    t2aft2af Posts: 44member

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

Err, maybe because Schmidt did nothing wrong?  Makes me laugh whenever this is brought up.  Please, show me some solid evidence that Schmidt did anything underhand whilst on the Apple board.  And by evidence I don't mean hearsay and the thoughts of paranoid posters on this forum.

People seriously need to stop posting this piece of FUD.

the solid evidence was in the goracle trail , showing the google made a massive UI change when Schmidt was on the board and saw the iphone. It was went from a blackberry clone to an iphone clone, there was no dual design path, just one that changed radically. This is why Jobs felt betrayed and was saying to Schmidt "you stole from us". 

• Reply 51 of 155
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

likewise for you ...

He has a point, calling a group of people idiots because of one product they buy is stupid.

• Reply 52 of 155
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Scum of the earth. He is!
  • Reply 53 of 155
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    LL

Is that a steaming pile of Schmidt?
  • Reply 54 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunchmeat78 View Post

So much animosity and hate towards this man and Google. This is almost as bad as our political system. Does a certain product that we use define us as a people? Walking around with that white/silver piece of fruit on your phone or laptop garner so much pride and conviction. I appreciate a good product, but at the end of the day its just not as important as you guys make it out to be.

Apple is great company. Google is also a great company. They are both going to be pushing one another to the benefit of those who care about innovative mobile technology.

Fan boys of both platforms are so myopic and ridiculous. My belief is that, if one guy enjoys his IPhone, that's great. Then another guy should be able to enjoy his Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S3 without being looked down upon.

Come on now! Its not that serious.

It's the human condition that causes this type of strife.  It happens with religions, schools, sports teams, cities, countries, politics, race, sex, cars, etc.  People are always going to pick sides, even when the reasons behind their choice is non-sensical to those looking in from the outside.  If you single out Google and Apple, for example, neither company is what I would call a company to look up to as far as society is concerned.  Yes, they're both successful, but they both answer to shareholders first, not you or me, and the decisions they make to do whatever it is has more to do with profit than it does doing the right thing.  Google happens to hide their motives really well behind their "services" like Google maps, as if they're giving us something for free.  Apple takes a more subtle tack and simply applies the "build a great product and the money will follow" mantra.  And of course they got lucky with some sub-par products like iTunes, which helped rope more people into their product eco-system.

Do I think Google pilfered technology or ideas from Apple because of the past connection?  Of course.  It's how things work - just look at my list of examples above where people compete and take sides.  The same thing happens in each of these examples.

• Reply 55 of 155
    Don't know how this guy has the b*lls to come out with this after sitting in Apple's boardroom.

Apple shouldn't have bothered going thermonuclear on Google. They should have just sued this guy. More fool them for having him there in the first place.
  • Reply 56 of 155

is this the whole interview, or did he apolgize for being a thief someplace?

and animosity? a "fruit" or a product life defining? no, you are right.

But there is something to said for ethics, and Schmidt doesn't have a clue. If I had been Jobs I would have been tempted to shoot him rather than sue him, but that would just cause more problems and not solve anything.  Justified, though tradition in the west was 'riding out on a rail' or hanging.  Certainly not animosity though...

• Reply 57 of 155

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    King of the boner pill spam ads!

• Reply 58 of 155

I sort of disagree with the suing idea; seems like criminal intent to defraud and conspiracy would fit better

• Reply 59 of 155
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

My favorite diss from Mossberg's interview:

Shouldn’t Microsoft be included in there (with Apple and Google), Mossberg asked? No, Schmidt said. “It’s a well-run company,” he said, “but they don’t make state-of-the-art products.” image

• Reply 60 of 155
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member

Scumbags like Eric Schmuk get their just desserts in the end. Who would want a lying, thieving back stabber on their board?  He has defined himself as a crook and will forever be nothing else. He is irrelevant without someone else's ideas.