Teardown of Apple's new iPod touch finds 512MB of RAM, weaker home button than iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With Apple's new iPod touch now available, the portable media player has been dissected to discover 512 megabytes of Hynix RAM inside its A5 processor, as well as a home button design different from the iPhone 5.

iPod touch

The fifth-generation iPod touch features a home button with a rubber membrane, iFixit found in its teardown. That's weaker than the redesigned home button they found when they took apart Apple's new iPhone 5.

The disassembly also found that the volume buttons, microphone, LED flash and power button are all connected via the same ribbon cable that easily peels from the rear case.

iPod touch

"We've seen this type of design in previous Apple products," the solution provider noted. "The shift to a single ribbon cable is more cost-effective for the manufacturer, but unfortunately it has a negative impact on repairability."

The battery inside the iPod touch was described as a "Plane Jane" component with a rating of 1030 mAh, an increase from the previous model's 930mAh. The battery is advertised to provide up to 40 hours of music playback on a single charge.

iPod touch

iFixit also found that the 4-inch Retina display on the fifth-generation iPod touch is inferior to the screen on the iPhone 5. It characterized the iPod touch screen as "a much simpler, cheaper design."

The teardown also offers a closer look at the 5-megapixel camera Apple has put into the fifth-generation iPod touch. The lens is capable of recording high-definition 1080p video at 30 frames per second.

The full list of parts found in the fifth-generation iPod touch are included below:
  • A5 Processor
  • Hynix H9TKNNN4KDBRCR 512 MB RAM
  • Toshiba THGBX2G8D4JLA01 32 GB NAND flash
  • Apple 3381064 dialog power management IC
  • Murata 339S0171 Wi-Fi module
  • Broadcom BCM 5976 touchscreen controller
  • Apple 33831116
  • STMicroelectronics AGD32229ESGEK low-power, three-axis gyroscope
  • Texas Instruments 27AZ5R1 touchscreen SoC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Is the Hynix RAM new for Apple devices?

2) I'm not surprised by the Home Button difference. I am certain the average phone will get used a lot more than the average PMP. I think I did more than a million presses on that Home Button on my iPhone 4. Even though it was getting a little annoying I can't fault it for functioning after so much abuse.

3) This is mostly the setup I would expect an iPad mini to have. Note the rumoured 1024x768 = 786432px and 1136x640 = 727,040px which means no real change to the GPU is required. A bigger battery to power the larger backlight and touch matrix are the only real change to make the iPod Touch an iPad mini. I would expect the same basic case design as the new Touch, as well as colors for a $299-$349 price point.
  • Reply 2 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) I'm not surprised by the Home Button difference. I am certain the average phone will get used a lot more than the average PMP. I think I did more than a million presses on that Home Button on my iPhone 4. Even though it was getting a little annoying I can't fault it for functioning after so much abuse.

3) This is mostly the setup I would expect an iPad mini to have.

I seriously hope that you are wrong.

• Reply 3 of 64
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    It appears a lot of people are comparing it to the iPhone 5 rather than the previous generation iPod Touch.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    3) This is mostly the setup I would expect an iPad mini to have. Note the rumoured 1024x768 = 786432px and 1136x640 = 727,040px which means no real change to the GPU is required. A bigger battery to power the larger backlight and touch matrix are the only real change to make the iPod Touch an iPad mini. I would expect the same basic case design as the new Touch, as well as colors for a $299-$349 price point.
    If that's what Apple has planned for a smaller iPad why bother?
  • Reply 5 of 64
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Given the income Apple gets on an iPod is roughly half what it gets for an iPhone, it stands up pretty well. The iPod gets more of its 512mb of RAM dedicated to the apps, as there is no phone overhead. Same goes with the battery, with no 3G/LTE overhead, it doesn't need to be as strong.

You get a lot for your cash, that's for sure.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    rogifan wrote: »

Because it'll perform faster than other inexpensive tablets in its class and it's a way to keep the cost down so an 7.85" 4:3 tablet can compete with a 7" 16:9 tablet. Note that an iPad mini of that size has nearly 50% more display area and yet will have to be profitable for Apple to do it.

You simply can't say you want the performance and PPI of the iPad (3) in a mini tablet and expect it to have the cost, weight, thickness, and longevity that would be required to be a feasible product. I think cost and weight are the two primary goals here. This means that it simply wasn't feasible before 32nm. A6 could increase that even further to help reduce battery usage for a give performance level (id est, clock it lower compared to the A5/32nm) but I'm betting on it being A5/32nm.

Basically, I'm envisioning an iPod Touch that "adults" would want for reading, that schools would want for various reasons, that companies would want for handheld devices. The iPod Touch is too PMPy to satisfy the needs of those that 1) don't want a 10" device, 2) don't want a 4" device, and/or 3) find the iPad too costly for their needs. Surely you've read how people want a smaller tablet from Apple that already have an iPhone but how many people have an iPhone and yet still want an iPod Touch for reading? I'm guessing not many.
  • Reply 7 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Because it'll perform faster than other inexpensive tablets in its class and it's a way to keep the cost down so an 7.85" 4:3 tablet can compete with a 7" 16:9 tablet. Note that an iPad mini of that size has nearly 50% more display area and yet will have to be profitable for Apple to do it.

(1)You simply can't say you want the performance and PPI of the iPad (3) in a mini tablet and (2) expect it to have the cost, (3)weight, thickness, and longevity that would be required to be a feasible product. (4) I think cost and weight are the two primary goals here. This means that it simply wasn't feasible before 32nm. A6 could increase that even further to help reduce battery usage for a give performance level (id est, clock it lower compared to the A5/32nm) but I'm betting on it being A5/32nm.

Basically, I'm envisioning an iPod Touch that "adults" would want for reading, that schools would want for various reasons, that companies would want for handheld devices. The iPod Touch is too PMPy to satisfy the needs of those that 1) don't want a 10" device, 2) don't want a 4" device, and/or 3) find the iPad too costly for their needs. Surely you've read how people want a smaller tablet from Apple that already have an iPhone but how many people have an iPhone and yet still want an iPod Touch for reading? I'm guessing not many.

Thank god you don't know what you are talking about.

Those of us that are expecting (1) are not expecting (2) and (4). Eliminate number (4), eliminate the reference to (2). There it is.. the perfect 7inch.. and the perfect tablet for millions and millions. Otherwise what do you get?? "meh".

399 and up.

We expect it to loose performance wise only to the 9.7ipad, it should be lighter, smaller and have 7h/8h of battery life. throw 4g at it too.

If you want an e-reader go on and buy one.. if you want a lesser nexus go on and buy one, if you want one of those with an apple at the back forget it. they won't make an inferior product.

• Reply 8 of 64

Those of us that are expecting (1) are not expecting (2) and (4). Eliminate number (4), eliminate the reference to (2). There it is.. the perfect 7inch.. and the perfect tablet for millions and millions. Otherwise what do you get?? "meh".

399 and up.

A one-handed tablet that requires two hands. Makes perfect sense¡
  • Reply 9 of 64
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Speaking of the iPad mini. Were's those "claimed" invitations to the event "supposed" to go out yesterday.

• Reply 10 of 64
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Given the income Apple gets on an iPod is roughly half what it gets for an iPhone, it stands up pretty well. The iPod gets more of its 512mb of RAM dedicated to the apps, as there is no phone overhead. Same goes with the battery, with no 3G/LTE overhead, it doesn't need to be as strong.

You get a lot for your cash, that's for sure.

512mb of RAM is bad news for consumers and developers who want to take full advantage of current generation devices.

• Reply 11 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If an iPod touch, iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air can have retina display how come a smaller iPad can't? If Apple is going to do this they need to beat nexus 7 and Fire HD on build qualiry, specs and features. Shame on Apple if they release an inferior product, charge $50-$100 more for it all on the thought people will buy it because it's Apple and because of the iOS ecosystem. If the iPod touch can have retina display the smaller iPad can too.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Will these new minis be Easter egg colored like the new iPod Touches?
    I ask because the Tweenies are the obvious market for this as no adult would want or need a smaller iPad- Steve said so himself.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

399 and up.

We expect it to loose performance wise only to the 9.7ipad, it should be lighter, smaller and have 7h/8h of battery life. throw 4g at it too.

If you want an e-reader go on and buy one.. if you want a lesser nexus go on and buy one, if you want one of those with an apple at the back forget it. they won't make an inferior product.

I don't believe that Apple would offer two very different iPads at the same price, much like Apple doesn't offer different models of iPods at the same price, save for different choice of carriers or color options for iPads and iPods, respectively.

The resolution question would still need to be addressed, the UI needs to be altered to fit another resolution, scaling all the graphics smaller doesn't cut it. I just don't see Apple offering the 10" iPad UI on an 7"-8" model without some changes because it cuts your usable display area about in half.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Oddly enough, the color on the touch doesn't seems superficial as on the iPhone. Am I wrong?

• Reply 15 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It appears a lot of people are comparing it to the iPhone 5 rather than the previous generation iPod Touch.

Well, the intention of most reviewers is to make Apple look bad, so they kind of have to do that or it will look like it's a good product.  :-/

• Reply 16 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

399 and up.

This post is waaay confusing and makes no sense to me.  

The original poster bases his entire argument on his belief that weight and cost are the two primary factors being designed to, (a reasonable assumption IMO).  You then put up a long, convoluted argument with numbers that essentially says "who cares about about weight and cost" (2 and 4).  

Then you follow up by asserting that, among other things, "it should be lighter." ???

• Reply 17 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The resolution question would still need to be addressed, the UI needs to be altered to fit another resolution, making icons smaller doesn't cut it. I just don't see Apple offering the 10" iPad UI on an 7"-8" model without some changes because it cuts your usable display area about in half.

I was thinking the same thing just this morning when I was reading a book on the iPad.

Apple's fancy skeuomorphic book in iBooks, with the page edges etc. would steal a huge amount of screen real estate from a 7.85" iPad mini.  Without a redesign, iPad mini wouldn't actually be that great as a book reader.  A full-screen, non-skeuomorphic design would be better in this case for sure. 

I have the feeling that the first rush of reports on the mini will be favourable, but the following week will be full of articles pointing out problems with the UI and how iOS 6 is awful etc.  

Help us Scott Forestall, you are our only hope! [looks to the side quickly, then crouches to end the message]

• Reply 18 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The best statement so far in this thread! IOS loves its RAM. You have to suspect this is done on purpose both to keep price low and to make iPhone more desirable.
    eksodos wrote: »
    512mb of RAM is bad news for consumers and developers who want to take full advantage of current generation devices.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Apple's fancy skeuomorphic book in iBooks, with the page edges etc. would steal a huge amount of screen real estate from a 7.85" iPad mini.  Without a redesign, iPad mini wouldn't actually be that great as a book reader.  A full-screen, non-skeuomorphic design would be better in this case for sure. 

Ummm... you know you can already toggle full-screen mode in iBooks, right? (Font Icon > Theme > Full Screen Mode)

• Reply 20 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This post is waaay confusing and makes no sense to me.  

The original poster bases his entire argument on his belief that weight and cost are the two primary factors being designed to, (a reasonable assumption IMO).  You then put up a long, convoluted argument with numbers that essentially says "who cares about about weight and cost" (2 and 4).  

Then you follow up by asserting that, among other things, "it should be lighter." ???

Sorry for that.

Cost is secondary (as long as it makes sense, obviously) but the 7 inch will be lighter than the 9.7, there's no question about that.

Basically what solipsismX wants is a cheap android tablet with an apple logo on it, but more expensive because it's apple (and that as valor) and because of iOS. However, since the thing would be so "shitty", using iOS would be pretty much irrelevant (ecosystem wise). The thing about iOS is that it is such a great platform for develop beautiful, functional, ground breaking apps that android can't handle.. but that's only achievable if the right hardware and the right integration is there (cad viewer/editor, iPhoto, great games with great visuals (retina is a must for new iDevices), decent photoshop, more Autodesk apps, more audio/video editing apps..etc). The iPad that soliX wants would not be used for this, it would be just another cheap useless android tablet, but with "the" logo. This situation would also hurt the iPad brand and power.

So, a6, 1gb ram, 3core graphics, new retina resolution, 7 to 8h battery life (it's smaller..), awesome build quality. 399, 529 4g, 7".

and, a6, 2gb ram, beast graphics, retina, 10h battery life, awesome build quality, thinner and lighter than current iPad, 499, 629 4g, 9.7" and if the stars are alined both of them will come with 32gb minimum (at least the 9.7).

the ipad 2? 329.. 299.. 199.. only education, discontinued.. who cares. it belongs to the past.

Remember, for millions of users 7" is better form factor than 10".

It's pretty much certain that they won't keep selling the 9.7 with the current connector, at least that should change.