Apple wins stay of Korean iPhone, iPad sales ban

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It was reported on Thursday that a Seoul court has granted Apple's request to stay a sales ban against both the iPhone and iPad after an August ruling found the products to be in violation of Samsung's patents.

Apple iPhone 4
Apple iPad 2
Apple's Korean webpage. | Source: Apple

A spokesman for the Seoul Central District Court told Bloomberg that the delay was actually handed down last month, with the court deciding that any sales ban would have to wait until Apple's appeal proceedings conclude.

In the initial Aug. 24 ruling, the South Korean court found both Apple and Samsung guilty of infringing on each others' patents, ultimately banning sales of the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, first-generation iPad and the iPad 2. Samsung was also hit with a number of bans against its smartphones and tablets, however the company chose not to pursue an appeal.

Thursdays' news comes on the heels of a Samsung win in the U.S., as the federal appeals court overturned an injunction against the Galaxy Nexus smartphone first handed down in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9

"Apple must have paid off the court. Everyone knows Samsung can't lose a case in Korea."

Hey, Zazzles. Good to see you're doing something constructive, meaning not posting.

You know, other than your 12th account, which I just banned.

• Reply 2 of 9
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

But...but... Samsung is a Korean company and a Korean court sided with an American company that is litigating instead of innovating??  How can that be??

Oh way, sorry.. I was trying to pretend (badly) to be a whiny, crybaby fandroid that believes Apple is evil regardless of what they do.  My bad. 

• Reply 3 of 9
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Today Samsung forgot to deliver Kimchi and mummified eggs to the judges and lost the court battle.

• Reply 4 of 9
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

LOL, Samsung is a mess.

• Reply 5 of 9
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

I applaud the Korean courts for sticking fervently with its mission of being objective despite Samsung's home court influence in almost everything.

At least the Korean courts have the common courtesy of waiting until an official response from the other side before issuing an official ban unlike the ones in the US.

The Galaxy Nexus ban was overturned just today by an appeals court for Judge Koh's "abuse" of its discretion.

Lets not get too political here. We are comparing legal logic here not countries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Today Samsung forgot to deliver Kimchi and mummified eggs to the judges and lost the court battle.

Not sure if that was a joke or mockery.

• Reply 6 of 9

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Not sure if that was a joke or mockery.

I think that would depend on your palate. 

• Reply 7 of 9
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Ah, Justice... Gagnam Style.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    tylerk36 wrote: »

Now that's racist.
  • Reply 9 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

LOL, Samsung is a mess.

Samsung did a good job! LOL