Google's next Nexus phone to be built by LG, unveiled this month

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google this month is set to show off its next flagship Nexus handset, which will reportedly be based on LG's existing Optimus G smartphone.

LG

Details of the new handset were reported on Thursday by Bloomberg. The partnership would make LG the third manufacturer to build a "pure Google" phone for the search giant that will run the stock Android operating system without any extra software or user interface skins.

Belarusian website Onliner even posted photos of what is claimed to be the final product, dubbed the LG E960 featuring the logos of both LG and Google on the back of the device. The device is rumored to have a 4.7-inch 1,280-by-768-pixel display powered by a quad-core Snapdragon S4 processor and 2 gigabytes of RAM.

The device is expected to be unveiled by Google at an event on Oct. 29. The new Nexus handset will compete directly with Apple's iPhone 5, which debuted last month.

LG

The expected launch of a new Nexus phone comes as Google's previous Nexus handset just won a reversal of a ban on sales. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which debuted last November, was barred from sale in June for violating patents owned by Apple, but that decision was overturned on Thursday.

In addition to Samsung, Google has also previously partnered with HTC to build Nexus handsets. Google's Nexus devices are sold to users with stock Android installed, but are also intended to serve as reference designs for other Android handset makers to emulate.

While Google's Nexus devices usually gain considerable buzz in the electronics community, that has failed so far to translate to actual sales to end users. Samsung revealed as part of its patent dispute with Apple that it only sold about 500,000 Nexus S phones in the U.S. between the device's launch in December of 2010 and the court filing in June of 2011.

Google also partnered with Asus on a 7-inch tablet that it launched this summer named the Nexus 7. The $199 device runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and is aimed at taking on Amazon's low-priced Kindle Fire tablet lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Only 500k? Damn the Gnex must have sucked.

Either way I'm adding this phone to my collection too.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

These phones aren't meant for the mass market. These are tech geek phones and usually very well made phones for their time. I have the Gnex and its still a very nice phone, not perfect and yes i'd still rather be back into iOS, but it is easy enough to hack and tinker with and that is for whom these phones are for. Not saying Google wouldn't like to sell lots of these though, because if they could they would.

Oh sorta wondering what other phones are in your collection?

• Reply 3 of 32

Quote:

Nexus S is the second Nexus phone, the GNex is the Galaxy Nexus the 3rd phone, which should have had more sales

• Reply 4 of 32
    rokrad wrote: »
    These phones aren't meant for the mass market. These are tech geek phones and usually very well made phones for their time. I have the Gnex and its still a very nice phone, not perfect and yes i'd still rather be back into iOS, but it is easy enough to hack and tinker with and that is for whom these phones are for. Not saying Google wouldn't like to sell lots of these though, because if they could they would.

Oh sorta wondering what other phones are in your collection?

Every nexus phone except the G1, and Gnex, have my nexus 7 too. every single iPhone.

I really would have prefered HTC to be a manufacture again. Maybe LG with pure android will be a treat.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

These phones aren't meant for the mass market. These are tech geek phones and usually very well made phones for their time.

True, but I think that's a mistake. Aside from the Nexus series (and shorting of rooting), you can't buy "pure" Android phone. All that hard work Google puts into Android can only be experienced by less than 1% of the Android smartphone users.

With the exception of Nexus One, Google has been updating Nexus almost as soon as the major update is released. While it is possible to root their Android phones to update, that is something tech geeks would do (ironically enough), not the average consumers.

Hopefully, Motorola will join the rank and offer pure Android experience.

P.S. I have been an iPhone user since day 1 (original iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5).

• Reply 6 of 32
    zaim2zaim2 Posts: 45member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Nexus S is the second Nexus phone, the GNex is the Galaxy Nexus the 3rd phone, which should have had more sales

Another thing to point out is that number only pertains to the "Nexus S 4G", which was the Sprint Wimax variant which got released 5 months after the original on May 2011. The original Nexus S wasn't part of the lawsuit.

• Reply 7 of 32

Quote:

Maybe LG with pure android will be a treat.

The good side about it is LG makes great IPS+ displays and avoids the oversaturated Pentile crap Samsung spits out, so if nothing else, the screen should be just as nice the iPhone.

• Reply 8 of 32
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

So Google is competing with Motorola?

How does that work?

• Reply 9 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    OMG!!! The screen is only 4.7". How in the world do they expect this thing to sell?????? /s
  • Reply 10 of 32
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

LG.  A major fail company.  All LG products I have knows fail miserably.  Thats why Apple dropped LG from making their displays.  I had a friend who bought an LG refrigerator and it had to be repaired 4 times over the period of 5 years.  LG what a joke. 

• Reply 11 of 32

Isn't LG the one that makes great hardware (bar htc) but never updates it's phones? Problem solved.

I actually think that google played well.. Moto has nothing to offer and is dead. htc is barely surving and LG has the means to attack sammy.

However.. HTC one + gti tdi RS turbo nexus? lol sounds good, right?

• Reply 12 of 32

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

LG.  A major fail company.  All LG products I have knows fail miserably.  Thats why Apple dropped LG from making their displays.  I had a friend who bought an LG refrigerator and it had to be repaired 4 times over the period of 5 years.  LG what a joke. 

They make spectacular dumb phones, though. The best stuff. LG was my favorite phone manufacturer before Apple came on the scene.

• Reply 13 of 32
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I love my Nexus S. The iPhone 5 has the same screen height. If only it could have the exact same size, the Nexus S has the perfect size for me.

• Reply 14 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Whats shocking to me is that there still hasnt been an Android phone without major software or hardware drawbacks. Is it too much to ask for a STOCK phone with good build quality and a good screen? Doesn't exist yet. Galaxy Nexus is stock, yet the screen is garbage (I own one) and so is the camera. I despise skins and wouldn't touch Touchwiz with a 20 foot pole. HTC phones have great screens and build quality, but again, no stock OS. I hope this phone actually has a good screen (non-pentile), good build quality, camera, etc along with the stock OS. 

• Reply 15 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I think it was available only on Sprint and a unlocked version for ATT and Tmobile.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pfisher wrote: »
    So Google is competing with Motorola?

How does that work?

This phone was in the works before Google bought MM.
  • Reply 17 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Whats shocking to me is that there still hasnt been an Android phone without major software or hardware drawbacks. Is it too much to ask for a STOCK phone with good build quality and a good screen? Doesn't exist yet. Galaxy Nexus is stock, yet the screen is garbage (I own one) and so is the camera. I despise skins and wouldn't touch Touchwiz with a 20 foot pole. HTC phones have great screens and build quality, but again, no stock OS. I hope this phone actually has a good screen (non-pentile), good build quality, camera, etc along with the stock OS. 

You're not supposed to use it for anything. You're supposed to root it, install some l337 hack on it, then brag about it on /. forums for geek cred.

• Reply 18 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

OMG!!! The screen is only 4.7". How in the world do they expect this thing to sell?????? /s

They no longer need to include the 'thumb stretcher'.

Cheers

• Reply 19 of 32
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Their washing machines are highly-rated.

• Reply 20 of 32
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    minicapt wrote: »
    They no longer need to include the 'thumb stretcher'.

Cheers

Next to the ip5, it actually doesn't look that big...